How do I ever nominate this hugeee artwork?

This screenshot contains an artwork on satallitefoto. It's an artwork with the name of the street HUZARENLAAN, but I have no idea how to nominate it since it's so big. Anybody ideas? If you flip you mobile or whatever and zoom in you can see the iron plates that form the name of the street.

Comments

• Hosette-INGHosette-ING Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just looked at it on street view to see if I could find a cool ground-level camera angle. https://goo.gl/maps/oqbUKSaeS8uZiBtZ6

It has a reasonable likelihood of being rejected for pedestrian access unless you submit it from the sidewalk at the far eastern end. It would be really cool if you could get a drone photo of it as the main photo. Another option is to get a really good photo of the "N" by the sidewalk and give it a title like "The end of Huzarenlaan".

Use a really solid description of what it is, including any information about the history/artist/etc. In your supporting information remind people that the full artwork is clearly visible in satellite view.

• Kasparos347-PGOKasparos347-PGO Posts: 204 ✭✭✭

And still, you can only see the artwork on this satallitefoto when you zoom in, it would be very hard to make a good foto with your drone, although it's the best option

• 52cucumbers-ING52cucumbers-ING Posts: 225 ✭✭✭✭

There's no rule saying a drone photo isn't allowed, but there is a rule against 3rd party photos and you risk making people think you didn't take it yourself if you use a drone.

Another option is to get a really good photo of the "N" by the sidewalk and give it a title like "The end of Huzarenlaan".

I like this idea. And technically speaking that seems to be the only letter that has direct pedestrian access (as in "a safe, pedestrian pathway leading to the object").

It might be tricky to get accepted but there's no harm in trying.

• Kellerrys-INGKellerrys-ING Posts: 696 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd go for the N option. Drone pictures have a risk for being marked as 3rd party photos.

@Kasparos347-PGO There's no rule that says that photos have to be taken with a camera phone. I've submitted photos taken with my DSLR, and if there was something for which a drone photo was the best option I'd take it with my drone. A cherry picker wouldn't be tall enough for this but I can imagine there being things for which it would be perfect. It would also be overkill, of course, but that's rarely stopped me.

edited December 2020

Yeah, should I try the N first, something like this

Titel: 'Big plated N' or should I say like the whole artwork: 'Big plated letters of the Huzarenlaan.' (Can't find information about the artwork on the internet, but name would be sort of the same anyways)

Description: Artwork at the Huzarenlaan, made of cortensteel plates that form the street name. Designer unknown

Extra discription:

Whole artwork can be seen clearly on streetview and sattalite, but to big for 1 picture. Formed during the construction of the district In 2011, safe pedestrian acces

Post edited by Kasparos347-PGO on

Title: Big plated N at the end of Huzarenlaan

Your description is good.

Supporting information: The full artwork can be seen in both street and satellite view. This was created during the construction of the district in 2011, the N has safe pedestrian access via the crosswalk.

In practical terms it's obviously safe to walk over to any part of the artwork; it doesn't meet Niantic's criteria for safe pedestrian access because there's no crosswalk. I like focusing on the N but I would include a nod to the whole piece in the title.

It's a bit complicated, because you can walk to a few of the other plates from that crosswalk over the field, which is allowed of course. But it's weird when you see the whole artwork, but you just nominate 1 letter. Should I really nominate it as the big plated N at the end of the Huzarenlaan, or should I make a picture of the plated N and name the titel as the full artwork?

• flatmatt-PGOflatmatt-PGO Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would take the picture from the area of the sidewalk clearly showing the "N" but also, if at all possible, showing the next 2 letters as well. I would make this a submission for the whole piece, not just one letter, and I would place the pin on the "N."

Also, I would try to spend a substantial chunk of my supporting info describing just what the reviewer is looking at here, as it is not very obvious from the satellite view at first. I think it is likely that this could take a few tries to get approved.

• flatmatt-PGOflatmatt-PGO Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is an approximation of the type of view I'm thinking of (just from the Street View), though I'd probably take the picture from a spot a bit more to the left so that the letter N is a bit more "right side up." Hopefully the further letters would be more visible in real life.

edited December 2020

I think I will need something to get a bit higher, but what title should it be then? 'Big plated letters of the Huzarenlaan'?

• Kellerrys-INGKellerrys-ING Posts: 696 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cynically the answer is, anything that has a good chance to get through. Yours seems fine.

Personally I dislike long titles, but it's just my preference. Few ideas.

Huzarenlaan land art

Letters of Huzarenlaan

Huzarenlaan letter installation

Thnx for the help guys!