I appreciate the new categories a lot, it's way more complete than before, but I have a few question

Euthanasio2-PGOEuthanasio2-PGO Posts: 272 ✭✭✭
edited December 2020 in General Discussion

Does it affects the games in any way? I always thought it would be fun if certain pokemons were more common close to certain type of pokestops for example. Thank you for reworking this because a lot of things did not have good categories (especially sport fields). It makes reviewing more enjoyable.

Also why is "Soccer" missing from the French version? Calling it "football" is an european thing, not a French thing. Everyone is Quebec or Franco-Ontarians call them "soccer fields" or "Terrain de soccer". When we say football, we refer to american football.

Post edited by Euthanasio2-PGO on

Comments

• patsufredo-PGOpatsufredo-PGO Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the early moment of the game, there were some rumor that certain type of Pokemon will most likely spawn near certain places (apart of Water-type Pokemon will most likely spawn near body of water). One thing that I remember is Electric or Fairy-type Pokemon will most likely spawn near University buildings, most likely denoted by the category of the Pokestop. However, as time passed by and later generation were released, this rumor become not true at all.

Other than that, the category of each Wayspot are for Niantic's Wayspot database only, and won't affect to any other games.

• Euthanasio2-PGOEuthanasio2-PGO Posts: 272 ✭✭✭

Aw :(. I am a bit disappointed. I am just curious about what they are doing with the categories

• 52cucumbers-ING52cucumbers-ING Posts: 225 ✭✭✭✭

Does it affects the games in any way? I always thought it would be fun if certain pokemons were more common close to certain type of pokestops for example

While that would be an interesting mechanic, I think at this point we can be fairly sure it would be abused and things would be labelled wrong. Now I don't know why Niantic wants to categorise their POI database but I can only assume they do it hoping it will become useful at some point in the future, either when selling data to others or for some game to come.

That's the thing with stuff like this. If you only start collecting it when you know you need it you won't have it when you need it.