Too Many Unnecessary "Cooldowns"

WhisperOfDeath0-PGOWhisperOfDeath0-PGO Posts: 11 ✭✭✭
edited December 2020 in General Discussion

Hey everyone,

Now, I'm not sure if this is part of yesterday's Wayfarer Update but so many accounts in our city are getting those pesky 4-day cooldowns, saying "nice work, come back later when there's more to review".

A few problems with this.

1. There's A LOT MORE to review, because our nominations are stuck in voting or in queue for months.
  2. It's extremely ironic saying "good work" and punishing you with FOUR DAYS of cooldown.
  3. It's totally uncalled for because all these wayfarer accounts have a rating of GREAT which means they are indeed doing a great job reviewing.
  4. It demotivates players from actually reviewing when they get those "hidden cooldowns". Very few people will come back to review when they get a cooldown and they don't even understand why they get it.
  5. It's completely random. It's not like they've reached a "voting cap", because some people get it after 100 votes, others get it after 1000 votes.

Maybe this is a strategy from Niantic so that LESS POI's get approved? What is this? Why are you toying with us and our time?

You want us to review? Great. Let us review so that all these nominations that are STUCK can finally start going and get out of the system. Don't shadow ban us and keep telling us "good work".

Please provide a solution. @NianticCasey-ING

Tagged:

Comments

• MarioSGodoy87-PGOMarioSGodoy87-PGO Posts: 169 ✭✭✭

I have received information from some friends that this is also happening to them, very strange this system.

• Mernie9-INGMernie9-ING Posts: 42 ✭✭✭

I have an excellent rating but get cooldowns quite a bit. IMO, the primary reason is that there are now so many rejections, and those don't take 20 seconds to decide.

One day I was careful to wait 20 seconds on all approvals and rejections and got a cooldown anyhow, no doubt more making a decision on a waypoint change. You know, it doesn't take that much time to fix a spelling error on a description...

Maybe I would be happy if they gave us a 30 second minimum period for an acceptance, but a 10 second minimum for an edit or rejection. I think they folks at Niantic should actually do some reviews, or watch someone who actually does reviews (with experience under our belt) and reconsider these time limits.

• WhisperOfDeath0-PGOWhisperOfDeath0-PGO Posts: 11 ✭✭✭

No, you misunderstood what I meant, my friend @Mernie9-ING

We always take at least 1 minute to review EVERY submission. And we are not talking about actual cooldowns (4-hour or 24-hour). We simply get the message "Nice work, come back later for more reviews" and we cannot review anything for the next 4 days or so.

• Babarushki-PGOBabarushki-PGO Posts: 195 ✭✭✭

I have been reviewing for around a month. I spend a long time writing comments to justify anything under a top mark. I stopped doing so much when i found out here that nominators don’t get comments and no one reads what i write. Ok then.

i still take a minimum of 90 seconds to review each one. I’ve had two 4-day cooldowns imposed for god knows what reason. Pattern? Speed? Lack of agreement with others? Who knows.

And now, @NianticCasey-ING, you got me. I have better things to do. While I enjoy making play better, if my reviews are really not “game-changers” [that sophomoric pat on the back we all get when we are banned for 4 days], then I will not waste my very precious time here.

It’s an alternative to trying to figure out why oh why we got banned. No good reason; we just fit an algorithm and no one really cares.

Really, it’s too bad and not a good way to run a business.

• Babarushki-PGOBabarushki-PGO Posts: 195 ✭✭✭

I have been reviewing for a little over a month. I spend quite a bit of time making comments for any mark under a top score of five. I quit doing so much when I found out here that no one, including the nominator, reads what I write. OK then.

I spend at least 90 seconds on each nomination, even the obvious rejections.

I am in my second four-day cool down right now. Why? I don’t know, and apparently no one really knows except for patterns and speed. I feel insulted because I donate good time doing what I thought was good work for the benefit of all.

I am not complaining. I wanted everyone to think about just deciding not to review anymore when yet another cool down is imposed on you. Our time is precious. If someone wants to reject our work, especially volunteer work, goodbye. It truly is not worth the aggravation. @NianticCasey-ING

• MatiC37-PGOMatiC37-PGO Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited January 2021

This is not a cooldown. When it happens other message appear.

This mean that you just review all the submissions they gave you. In 4 days You will have more to review.

• jokeinsurance-PGOjokeinsurance-PGO Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

When you have a string of 1*s, it's kinda out of our hands.

• ULtraGreG24-PGOULtraGreG24-PGO Posts: 28 ✭✭

In South of France we vote for some German, Belgian, Swiss, Luxembourgish review (certainly upgraded) while there are a lot of votes pending in my area over 6 months when people not upgrade them. It is completely illogical to vote for such distant things (more than 1000km) and mainly not in our language, while other areas are deprived of votes.

So yes we need a rebalancing of the reviews

AND we need an upgrade to not vote for foreign things. To vote for the eight L6 S2 Cell around ours, it is not necessarily the best thing when some correspond to a foreign country.

• NoelleXandria-PGONoelleXandria-PGO Posts: 50 ✭✭

"to make sure the quality of the Wayspot is high" actually made me laugh out loud for real. Some of the spots I've seen are laughably bad. One nearish to me is literally in the middle of a busy road on the road side of a retaining wall where pedestrians aren't allowed. To report it as an invalid stop, I had my husband drive me to that spot close to midnight so that he could stop the car in the road while I quickly reported it since I don't want my phone in my hand when behind the wheel like that. That's a potentially deadly stop.

I strongly suggest a quicker review process for spots reported as dangerous or lacking pedestrian access. As much as I hate to say it, there are enough stupid people in this world who don't use their brains who would run into busy traffic if they're not told not to.

• Hosette-INGHosette-ING Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

"to make sure the quality of the Wayspot is high" also made me laugh. We keep hearing about cases where local reviewers take the law into their own hands either to move things abusively, to create scores of fake wayspots, to reject all submissions in their area, to accept everything no matter what. I think we would be better served by having fewer local reviewers as part of the mix.

• Rodensteiner-PGORodensteiner-PGO Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

"we keep hearing" is bringing in only negative vibes and no reality. i keep hearing that it is dark at night outside and wet when it is raining.

• PYLrulz-PGOPYLrulz-PGO Posts: 31 ✭✭✭

I've said it once, and I'll say it again.

The best way I've found to avoid cooldowns is to review a couple of nominations at a time, do something else for a minute, then review a couple more nominations. That way if you get a string of bad nominations, you don't get cooled down, at least with my experience. Even if I take my time with my couple at a time, I still do something else for a minute out of habit.

• WhisperOfDeath0-PGOWhisperOfDeath0-PGO Posts: 11 ✭✭✭

Nobody here, except Casey, understood what I said. I did not speak of any actual cooldown for bad reviewing behavior.

We KNOW that we NEED to take at least 2 minutes per vote and I am NOT talking about that.

I am talking about 4-DAY pseudo-cooldowns that occur totally randomly and for absolutely no reason. Read what the post is saying before you make a comment, please.

Thank you.

• Rodensteiner-PGORodensteiner-PGO Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

i didnt understand, but now, after i am on day 3 of "another thing Niantic messed up".

it is totally random. as i read from what @NianticCasey-ING said, it has something to do with how things are distributed.

someone at tech thought it would be funny to add a 4-day Pause if someone has no more things to review in his area. yeah, funny. that does only work if the system just then instead gives us things to review from other places.

The "4-day Pause" just sets a STOP signal, and then nothing else can be reviewed for 4 days. That just adds another level of "broken", as it is, this is just an Error. Again an Error, that isnt seen as what it is. Human Fault because someone made an error in the code. Simple as that.