Definition of Temporary Display

Hi all,

Two of my nominations were rejected, but the email did not indicate the reasons. I guessed that they were rejected as a temporary display.

The first one is a sculpture in the library of the university. I’m not sure whether it is anchored to the ground. I did not and could not touch it. However, I found a photo that was taken in 2016. It shows that the sculpture has been there for more than 4 years. I put the link in the supporting information. I thought that it is enough to prove that the sculpture is not a temporary display.

Link to the picture: https://www.facebook.com/NCKULibrary/photos/a.432614750159046/1166742220079625/?type=3&theater

The second one is a historical optical instrument for measuring the orbits of satellites. The instrument is no longer used, and it is on exhibition in the atrium of the university building. It is in a showcase now, and it seems that it can be moved easily by the administrator. However, I found a publication which is published in 2013. According to the picture, the instrument has been there since 2013.

Link to the publication: https://issuu.com/gpaper/docs/gpaper006_online/28

Some might say that an object has been there for a long time does not mean that it will be there forever. In my opinion, nothing in the world is permanent. Even if the nomination is a building, we cannot be 100% sure that it will be there in the next year. Personally, I think an object can be considered as a long-term display if it has been there for a long time. In other words, it is highly unlikely to be temporary, and thus it is acceptable.

I'd like to hear your opinions. All suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Comments

• saarstahl-INGsaarstahl-ING Posts: 183 ✭✭✭

resubmit them, but indoor nominations get rejected quite often.

• phi2458-PGOphi2458-PGO Posts: 164 ✭✭✭

Indoor nomination is not the reason for the rejection. Many indoor nominations were rejected because the reviewers could not verify the location. However, that is not the reason in these cases. I made photospheres, and there were several third party pictures to show that the location is correct.

In my opinion, whether the nominations are indoor or not does not matter in these cases. Even if they are outdoor, they would be rejected since they look like they can be moved easily.

By the way, reviewers here are very strict. They rejected almost all of my nominations in recent months. I’m afraid that they will never get accepted.

• Nadiwereb-PGONadiwereb-PGO Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whether the nomination is idoors or not should not matter. However, it very often does in my experience. There are loads of reviewers who almost automatically reject indoors nominations because they think that all PoIs hav to be accessible to everyone all the time. (Which is, of course, false, but it's an argument that's unfortunately common even on this forum.)

But coming back to your original question: my personal definition for temporary display is that the object is intended to be removed, destroyed or movd to a different place in the foreseeable future. These include temporary exhibitions, sand sculptures, graffiti painted on "free walls" (which are repainted regularly) etc. Your objects don't seem to be temporary.

• Zoombie3000-PGOZoombie3000-PGO Posts: 52 ✭✭

Another example of "Temporary Displays" are all those Christmas decorations that government or business owners add to their locations.

The current statement about the temporary display is "highly unlikely to be permanent." In my opinion, it is ambiguous and open to interpretation. Some might think that if the object is not always accessible, it is a temporary display.

In my opinion, the statement should be more specific, like a formula. For example, if the object has more than a 50% chance to be removed from the current location in the next year, it is temporary.

• WheelTrekker-INGWheelTrekker-ING Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭✭✭

How could we compute the chance that an object is gonna be removed?

• TheFarix-PGOTheFarix-PGO Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

So a building is being razed and replaced by a new building. In the meantime, a safety barrier has been erected around the perimeter. Since this is a government project, it is going to take approximately 2 years to complete (because government projects are never fast. There is not graft for being quick). Someone comes along and paints an elaborate graffiti image on the barrier. Is the graffiti permanent or temporary?

Of course, it is a temporary display from a 2-year perspective. As I said, time is important. If the time is unlimited, everything in the world is temporary. For example, I live in an earthquake-prone country. The law of construction is strict. The age limit of a generic reinforced concrete building is 60 years. You could foresee that the building will be torn down in 60 years. Is the building considered temporary?

The original statement “highly unlikely” is vague. The problem is that there is no time limit, and the probability is unclear. The 1-year period I mentioned is just an example. You could switch it to a more reasonable number if you want.

• Nadiwereb-PGONadiwereb-PGO Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020

I'd still argue that the timeframe itself isn't really important, it's whether it's intended to be removed in the foreseeable future at the time of construction. The point is that the barrier, and by extension the graffiti, in @TheFarix-PGO's example is intended to be temporary. Its eventual demolotion is part of its planned future. On the other hand, buildings, businesses, playgrounds and other "permanent" features aren't designed and installed with an "expiration date" in mind. Their eventual demise means they have lost their function, not fulfilled it.

In my opinion, your statement about the temporary display is much better than the original criteria. My argument is about the current criteria of temporary is unclear. I think we are talking about different things.

The current criteria of the temporary display are: "location, place, or object is temporary, or highly unlikely to be permanent." There are probability words "highly unlikely" in the statement, but there is no description of how high it is. Moreover, "permanent" means "lasting for a long time or forever." But the statement does not indicate how long it is. To me, the criteria are like a formula without parameters. It is ambiguous and open to interpretation. Strictly speaking, everything is temporary if we consider a long period.

In your statement, an object is temporary if we are 100% sure there will be an event that leads to the removal of the object. And we know when and what the event is. Otherwise, it is permanent. I agree that the time frame is not important in this statement because there is no gray area in the descriptions. The current criteria are probabilistic. Whether the object is temporary depends on the likelihood we set and the time frame we choose.

Back to the building example, buildings in my country have an "expiration date". It is 60 years after the building was built. Most of the buildings will be torn down within 60 years because of the safety issue. (Otherwise, the owner must afford a high maintenance fee.) I am not sure how to interpret this case with your statement. If there is a 99% confidence level that the building will be removed within 60 years, is it considered temporary? Are 60 years not in the foreseeable future? Or is it permanent because we can not be 100% sure that it will be removed?

Please tell me if I misunderstood your statement. Thank you.