Why Go and Ingresss - Harry Potter has different wayfarer display system (Pokestop, Portal and N)?

Because it has different display system of go portals and the other niantic games. Go is discriminate has less facility to see the portals than is easily seen in the various niantic games.

Tagged:

Comments

• MarioSGodoy87-PGOMarioSGodoy87-PGO Posts: 169 ✭✭✭

Because of this rule for pokemon go, several historical points of the city that I live in do not appear in the game, more in INGRESS are all there.

• LukeAllStars-INGLukeAllStars-ING Posts: 4,625 Ambassador

There are rules. If someone submits the little sign before the big war memorial, its not Niantics fault. Whoever comes first gets it. And I wouldnt use the word "descriminate". Thats way too brutal for a system. Also, the cell system is at least not making cities way too unfair.

• oscarc1-INGoscarc1-ING Posts: 366 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fun fact, when HPWU was released as a beta in Australia, for a day or two there were a lot of rejected Wayspots that were visible! Including things that were too close or just outright rejected.

If Niantic varied the wayspots more between games, there might be a greater appreciation for submitting all the cool stuff as it could potentially appear in any one of their games!

Plus another fun fact, the latest season in Catan World Explorers saw the Settlements (think equivalent to PoGo Gyms or HPWU Fortresses) had swapped around. This just shows again how volatile their system can be if they want it to be so.

Therefore it's not simply just a matter of what is seen in one game, or what will be accepted based on the game rules, but rather what interesting things exist out there that could potentially appear in any of the games.

• 52cucumbers-ING52cucumbers-ING Posts: 225 ✭✭✭✭

POGO gyms kinda need to be static but I don't see any good reason why if there are two waypoints in a cell the game can switch between which one is in-game at regular intervals. I've no idea how HPWU works.

• Damastaglen-PGODamastaglen-PGO Posts: 124 ✭✭✭

I can see the benefit for Pokestops.

If you saw your stop was there say 50% of the time, you would be less likely to resubmit a duplicate (if you never had Ingress to check)

• TheFarix-PGOTheFarix-PGO Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think this will just cause a great deal more confusion and people complaining about "Why did X get removed as a Pokestop? It was perfectly valid." We already see enough of those questions when a Wayspot gets moved to an occupied S2 cells.

As for why there are different densities, I think the answer is rather obvious. In Ingress, the only gameplay that takes place is with the Portals. Thus, if you have fewer Portals in your area, you aren't going to have much gameplay unless you are willing to travel great distances.

When Pokemon Go launched, the main part of gameplay was with catching Pokemon, which could spawn "anywhere". Pokestops were only used as resupply points and gyms were a means to get coins. Thus, there wasn't a need to have as many spots as Ingress since gameplay wasn't centered around them. Not having a Pokestop or gym was a hindrance, but didn't make the game unplayable like it did with Ingress. So Niantic and The Pokemon Company settled on a specific spacing algorithm, which cannot be changed without both agreeing to it.

Harry Potter's spacing is just an evolution, taking the lessons learned from Pokemon Go and improving upon them. Like Pokemon, there was gameplay outside the Inns, Greenhouses, and Fortresses, but unlike Pokemon Go, those locations were fare more integrated to gameplay. Following Pokemon Go's spacing wouldn't have provided enough locations in parks and recreation areas to allow for proper gameplay that WB Games wanted, such the adopted a spacing algorithm that allowed more Wayspots, but not as many as Ingress has.

From what I've heard, Catan: World Explorers will follow Harry Potter's spacing with further refinements as Niantic further evolves the AR genre, taking lessons learned from previous games and applying them to newer ones.

• Kellerrys-INGKellerrys-ING Posts: 696 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TheFarix-PGO "So Niantic and The Pokemon Company settled on a specific spacing algorithm, which cannot be changed without both agreeing to it."

Source?

This is the first time I've read The Pokemon Company preventing Niantic to modify/improve their spacing algorithm.

• TheFarix-PGOTheFarix-PGO Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

A major gaming company like TPC isn't going to let a third party company do anything with TPC's major franchise out permission and oversight.

• Gazzas89-PGOGazzas89-PGO Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

I severely doubt tpc cares about spacing of pokestops, they will care about things pertaining their property, so pokemon released, shiny pokemon, costumes pokemom. They will not care about nianitics property, that being the waypoints.

• Damastaglen-PGODamastaglen-PGO Posts: 124 ✭✭✭

They would.

As a PoGo player, I can honestly say that pokestops often get in the way of tapping on a Pokémon and vice versa.

If Niantic makes a game unplayable because there are too many stops/gyms in day a city centre and not enough room for Pokémon to spawn it indirectly looks bad on them