Nomination improvement and clarification

Hello, I have been population my desert rural village and its improving now but I also have a few rejected proposals and I would like to know if it would be possible to make them happen.

Im from Portugal so I will throw in the translation.

Stop 1-

Title- Parque das Merendas (Picnic Park)

Description- Local de convívio situado ao lado da igreja matriz. Utilizado para eventos de lazer e religiosos. (Convivial place located next to the mother church. Used for leisure and religious events).

Photos -

Great place to take a pause and take in the quiet. 3 tables with benches for public use aswel for group brunches.

Stop 2-

Title- Jardim Jose Filipe (Jose Filipe Garden)

Description- Jardim contruído em homenagem a José Filipe Mendes dos Santos, ex-presidente da Junta de Freguesia de Sarzedas até seu falecimento em 2003. (Garden built in honor of José Filipe Mendes dos Santos, former president of the Sarzedas Parish Council until his **** in 2003.)

Photos-

Small park for walking with people and/or pets, used to be a prison a long time ago but was made into a park with the name of an ex president of the area. Trees and flowers are cultivated by the residents. Contains a tribute to the people.

Thanks for your time, just looking for clarification and a bit of help!

Comments

• LukeAllStars-INGLukeAllStars-ING Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

The first one looks tempiraily bacause of the moveable benches.

The second one might be hard to spot in the supporting image. Many quick-reviewers might not see it. Also the Maps view looks different. I would create a photosphere on this one and tag this in the extra information.

• TheFarix-PGOTheFarix-PGO Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Picnic tables are not eligible.
    2. The memorial in the garden needs more information as to why the person memorialized was a significant or historic person in the community. Being president of the local parish council alone isn't enough to make someone significant.
    3. The park will need a namesign of some sort to be eligible. If there isn't one, then work with the local parish to have one installed.
  • HoundBaron-PGOHoundBaron-PGO Posts: 6 ✭✭

Thanks a lot, this information already helps a lot.

For the first one I cant have the picnic tables changed (they're always wood and are changed when condition gets worst) altough the space is permanent and maybe an indicative plaque would turn it eligible.

For the second one the small park actually has a namesign plaque wich I didnt take a photo but will take in consideration from now on but actually, because of distance, I was trying to mark the stone plaque as there is a stone art mural marked as a Gym in the edge of the park but not for the park itself.

Ill see if I can work it out and retry when more nominations are available.

• SPD85-PGOSPD85-PGO Posts: 163 ✭✭✭✭

Under the current criteria, the picnic area likely qualifies as a "A great place to be social with other," as it can be seen as "a favorite gathering place for friends or strangers alike, where you can share a drink or meal, be entertained, or watch public life happen. Or something that draws us together to share an experience in a locally and culturally relevant way." You'll face two problems: 1-you need to make the case that it meets the criteria, and 2: a number of people still rely on the old criteria where picnic areas weren't eligible.

The memorial garden is eligible named for the head of a local council is eligible as the individual was important to his community. Likely you had people who had very high criteria, skipped quickly, or just like rejecting things.

In both cases, you'll need to resubmit and hope for better reviewers. I would make sure that your photos and descriptions are great.

• FrealafGB-PGOFrealafGB-PGO Posts: 354 ✭✭✭✭

Why does the plaque not work as a name sign for the park? I don't understand why you think it needs more than it already has? It's more interesting than the park name sign, and although the normal park sign is probably an easier thing to get accepted, it's nice sometimes to highlight something different if possible.

I think the person is plenty important in this instance, because it's not just a memorial plaque - it's a memorial park, and parks are places that can be eligible. Memorial plaques are often ciritisised for being cheap so anyone can have one. A memorial park isn't cheap or easy to create so I think it's something that would only happen for someone quite important.

With the plaque in the little park, I'd definitely make the supporting picture have a clearer view of the plaque (I also found it hard to find), and that might help it get accepted.

• Jtronmoore-PGOJtronmoore-PGO Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

Because the plaque is merely a memorial it doesn't specify that the area is a park only the submitter has said that it is a “park”. To me it looks like a memorial with a seated area, if it was a park in memory of someone it would most likely say park on the memorial. The submitter will have to show proof that it is classified as a park first of all. Ans the name of the nomination they did not mention it was a park at all which makes me believe they are putting it into supporting info to give it the look of a park but it actually isnt.

edited December 2020

The park itself is named after the person in the plaque, I took my photo closer so it would be able to read. Isnt that clear enough?

And as mentioned above the plaque is much more interesting than the park plaque itself since its just small and dull but I can understand.

I also want to thank everyone for the opinions, all is helping even if just to improve my criteria.

• Jtronmoore-PGOJtronmoore-PGO Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

The reason being it doesn’t say “park” anywhere on the plaque. If you submitted a sign/plaque that said park it would most likely be passed. Thats really all im trying to say :) hope this forum helps though

I think I already have so leads to follow thanks to you guys. Ill check the camera angles maybe I could include both plaques and add some precise and short description with the content and meaning.