Appeals process abuse - What fresh hell is this?

In the time that I've been following the waystop appeals section of this site, I've seen all kinds appeals. Overwhelmingly, they seem to be made in good faith by players who sincerely believe the wayspot in question should be removed for the good of the game and do their best to prove it.

When the appeals are denied it is usually due inconclusive evidence or a misunderstanding of the removal criteria.

However, recently I've come across some appeals that have proven to be deliberate attempts to remove valid portals. The method used is to claim a POI has been removed and use photos that have either been strategically cropped or taken from misleading angles as proof.

I've seen occasional suspect appeals before, but the submitters usually at least attempt some sort of legitimate reason. I've never seen blatantly faked photos before.

Is this common and I've just never noticed? Is there somewhere to report this kind of activity or should I just trust Niantic to catch it (none of the appeals have been approved) and that the system is working as intended?

Comments