Photos

What makes a great nomination photo

Comments

• Hosette-INGHosette-ING Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

The first step is a photo that prominently features the thing being submitted. Unlike traditional photography the subject should be in the center of the image, and it should be large enough in the frame that it is recognizable at a very small size. Whatever part of the POI, whether it's all of it or only a portion, should provide a clear representation of the whole.

The photo should be well-exposed and crisp.

Up to this point I haven't answered your question. The qualities that I've listed above are merely what makes a good photo.

To change a good photo into a great one requires a certain... magic. Something that makes the image special, makes it pop, has some extra element that makes it memorable. I don't know how to describe it so I'll provide a couple of examples. I'm linking to third party images for examples, but for sake of discussion let's pretend that a similar image was submitted by a player who took it.

This photo of the London Eye is a good one, and would do quite well as a main photo for a submission. This one would be great.

Except for the recognizable people in the foreground, this photo of Cloud Gate, aka "The Bean" in Chicago is good. This Shutterstock photo with blue sky and the skyline clearly visible is great.

This photo of Mechanic's Monument in San Francisco is perfectly good. This one is better. This one is borderline great. (All three were used in this article.)