Playground

Since when does a playground need to be "historically or culturally significant."

Both me and a friend Nominated the same playground without realising it. She sent me a screen shot of her rejection email. I told her I submitted the same playground and sure enough, I got exactly the same reason for my rejection of the same playground. I'm just a bit baffled as to why this particular playground is required to be "historically or culturally significant."

It also suggested I improve the photo. I don't think it's a bad photo, seen plenty worse than this....

Just interested in what other's think.

Comments

• LukeAllStars-PGOLukeAllStars-PGO Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think 5*.

Thats a playground which has a special design and looks super clean.

• Nadiwereb-PGONadiwereb-PGO Posts: 263 ✭✭✭✭

This happens when reviewers give low grades (1 or 2 stars) to the "Historic or Cultural Significance" of the nomination. In other words, bad reviewing. It is unfortunate, but it happens - renominate and hope for better reviewers.

• Kellerrys-INGKellerrys-ING Posts: 291 ✭✭✭✭

Partly bad reviewing, but most of the blame should be directed at Niantic's not-so-well explained voting scale.

"We recommend taking a better photo" is part of the automated answer, pay no attention to it. Your photo was very good, (though with landscape photo you could fit the whole playground in the frame).

• yuureey-INGyuureey-ING Posts: 29 ✭✭

I rate such places as 2-3 stars in "Historic and Cultural Significance", depending on the originality of a playground. As written in rules,

"Historic or Cultural Significance

How much historical or cultural significance does the nomination hold within the community? A local library built 100 years ago is certainly more historically and culturally significant than exercise equipment in a park. Use your best judgement and rate the nomination accordingly. "

So if I rate them as 2-stars significance, does it lead to rejection? May be it's better to rate them as 3-4 stars?

There were a rumor that a 2* in any category can get a good submission rejected.

Thats why I always vote for 3* on good candidates.

Also, we had a discussion in our local WF group about the cultural significance for kids on those playgrounds. They do have something like a culture themselves. But this is a subjective point of view.

• Nadiwereb-PGONadiwereb-PGO Posts: 263 ✭✭✭✭

Yes, as far as we know, 2 stars is a rejection.

Also, just because an ancient library (which is 5 stars, definitely) has more cultural significance, it doesn't mean that playgrounds, exercise equipment, sports fields etc. have low (2 stars) or no (1 star) cultural significance.

Culture doesn't only include high culture like arts, literature, music etc. Culture is what people do together, culture is what links people together. Sports are culture. The tales you tell your children to help them go to sleep are culture. A graffiti on a wall that everyone in the community can relate to is culture. Children playing together while parents talk is culture.

• yuureey-INGyuureey-ING Posts: 29 ✭✭

I agree with you, but really there is a huge difference between gigantic stadium, or ancient stadium and small playground area. So i thought, like, "ok, i just would use my best judgement" as written in rules but won't rate it as 1 star and portal will be added anyway. Now i understand that if think that portal is good and could be added to network, i won't rate it less than 3 stars in any position.

Also, just because an ancient library (which is 5 stars, definitely) has more cultural significance, it doesn't mean that playgrounds, exercise equipment, sports fields etc. have low (2 stars) or no (1 star) cultural significance.

All kinds of sports are normally very cultural and has its own history. For me, its a 4-5*.