Someone tell me what’s wrong with this.

PeteC303-INGPeteC303-ING Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭

This is a Council commissioned mural. It has footpath running underneath the bridge. Has a public bridle path running along side the flower part. Tell me. Please tell why people seem to think it’s an inappropriate location when it isn’t. I’ve demonstrated as such. Hate coming on here for “advice” ignore my misspelling of bridle in my supporting picture. Also a 360 here to help them see it better but it is on streetview.

https://chestfieldparishcouncil.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/simple-file-list/Parish-Magazine/Parish-Magazine-September-2019.pdf

Answers

• LukeAllStars-INGLukeAllStars-ING Posts: 4,625 Ambassador

Do you have rejection reasons in your mails? For me, the artwork is alright. Maybe the reviewers clicked mismatched or no pedestrian access.

• Kroutpiick-PGOKroutpiick-PGO Posts: 370 ✭✭✭✭

So people need to cross a safety barrier/fence (without any gate or other safer access), then cross a bridle path, jump over the wall to reach the mural?

That's not a "safe pedestrian access".

From November AMA : https://niantic.helpshift.com/a/wayfarer/?l=en&p=web&s=other-faq&f=niantic-wayfarer-november-ama

What constitutes “safe pedestrian access” to a location? 

Safe Pedestrian Access denotes the player is able to access the object in question by walking up to it without putting themselves into potential danger. Objects in pedestrian areas, along sidewalks or paths or in parks/fields are great examples of eligible locations. Ineligible examples include objects on roundabouts or in traffic dividers that do not have a sidewalk/pathway leading to it.

• PeteC303-INGPeteC303-ING Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭

This nomination has been rejected due to the following reason(s):

The real-world location of the nomination appears to have explicit or inappropriate activity, Nomination does not appear to be permanent or appears to be a seasonal display that is only put up during certain times of the year, Nomination does not meet acceptance criteria.

this rubbish. Probably because it’s under a dual carriageway. But it has footpath underneath (where I stood). A bridle path running along side it. It’s an official council commissioned artwork my a well established local artist. I’ve demonstrated this in my supporting information and provided them a link to prove my information is correct. It can be seen on streetview but I’ve done a 360 to help them see it better.

• LukeAllStars-INGLukeAllStars-ING Posts: 4,625 Ambassador

the fist one is understandable, the second one might be fast clickers thinking that this is vandalism, the third one was because someone used it wrong.

No they do NOT. I took the picture from that angle to show all the artwork. There is a PUBLIC FOOTPATH which you can see in my pictures. Stop seeing what you want to see. It has footpath. The bridle path has a gate that is further away so I can’t include it on my pictures but it can be seen on satellite view. There are not “safety barriers” the footpath is clear to see

No the first one is utter rubbish. The new rejection reason being misused like most of them are. It’s got a footpath it’s also got a bridle way that people walk along to get into the nearby woods. It also leads to the recreation ground

Stop seeing what you want to see.

Reviewers will see what you show in pictures. We are not at the location, we rely on you, your pictures and your description. There was a safety barrier with barbed wires in your pictures.

If there is pedestrian access, then the second picture should be taken directly from the bridle path.

Don't take a picture from the pedestrian footpath along the road. It's too far away and we don't see that the bridle path is a safe place for pedestrians! We only see the barrier.

Instead of writing "there IS footpath here" without more explanations, maybe tell us that this bridle path is also a trail that pedestrians can use (if true).

I have. It is farmland with a public footpath running through it. It’s a fence to keep animals in. Many people use it. People are just lazy and can’t be bothered reading. I have shown in my pictures there is footpath and bridal path. It was placed here by the council to brighten the area up. I’ve also demonstrated that. Just because there is barded wire on the fence doesn’t make it inaccessible. I took the picture from that angle to include the pillars which forms the full artwork. There is 360 there showing it’s entirety and a footpath along which you can walk. You can also go through the gate onto the path. Easy. Simple. People need to stop assuming everything and look at the map views but no they can’t be bothered

It is farmland with a public footpath running through it. It’s a fence to keep animals in. Many people use it.

Great, but I don't see this written in your supplemental informations. This will help you a lot.

We are here because you asked for improvement advices. Yes, sometimes you will have to assume that reviewers don't bother to click on URL, read additionnal informations, etc.

A few of my submissions got rejected for any ridiculous reasons. I learnt over the time to take reviewers "by the hand", to point them the exact eligibility criteria with URL/link to this forum or any Niantic guidelines because too many of them are just too lasy to properly analyze the submission.

Oh yea I forgot to add that I tried to edit my information before it went into voting to include that. But it would not accept it. Also wanted to add it was commissioned by the council in my description but that also would not load. Wayfarer at its finest. I’ll keep submitting it anyway. It’s an accessible interesting artwork. 👍🏻

• AScarletSabre-PGOAScarletSabre-PGO Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you just nominated the columns on their own (as in take a photograph of them only), would be be none the wiser? You may have a better chance doing that and then explaining in your description that the rest of the artwork is located a short distance from the columns, as shown.

The area below the embankment is public bridleway, if I am understanding correctly? As far as I am concerned, the pillars form part of the artwork, so the artwork can be touched from the paved area you showed, therefore safe pedestrian access. Just be sure to put the marker next to the pillars.

The marker is on the pillars. That’s where’s I placed it where the footpath is. People can (and often do) stand and look at the mural from the pillar side. However you can access the flowers on the bridle path just like the artist did to paint it in the first place. This is my second attempt and I included the bridle path to show them that both parts are accessible. But no they probably seem to think a fence makes it inaccessible. I’ll do the pillars maybe and add a new picture with it all once accepted.

• flatmatt-PGOflatmatt-PGO Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭✭✭

Niantic's guidelines are pretty specific that the pin must be on the point of interest, not just on a spot where people can observe the point of interest from. So I think your plan to nominate the pillars is the best one.

Players can access it all. And we have a set distance we can interact with things anyway. Footpath under the bridge. Bridle path under the bridge. I don’t understand why people can’t see it. It’s there to see. My pictures and the maps. I’m not encouraging anyone to trespass or go onto the dual carriageway. It should be a simple art mural but reviewers never make anything simple too much hand holding and spoon feeding for some people. The pin is on the point of interest. Where ever I place it. It’s on the POI. And since when was Niantics guidelines specific more like vague and contradictory to me.

• KwyjiboHan-PGOKwyjiboHan-PGO Posts: 128 ✭✭✭

I approved this.

You don't need to take a picture of the whole thing. Just pick out an interesting detail and let actual visitors figure out the whole thing or explain it in the description.Try taking a column picture from the pavement or the wall art from the bridleway.

Thanks for accepting it. I’ll do the pillars just thought I’d add a bit of colour to it. This is miles away from where I live too. Helping rural players. I’ll crop my pictures 👍🏻

• Jtronmoore-PGOJtronmoore-PGO Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

Focus on the pillars that have those tree murals. The “colourful wall” looks really like graffitti and the fact theres a giant fence between you and it means there isnt “safe access” to it. If you focus on the pillars you’d most likely get it through

• Jtronmoore-PGOJtronmoore-PGO Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

if your nominating the wall “mural” the pin needs to be on the wall mural not on the path with the pillars. Thats actually against niantic guidelines what you did with that. And i would reject it for that reason or if i was nice id move the location. Could be prt of the reason for rejection.

After reading through everything. If you want this to pass I highly suggest taking a picture without a barbed wire fence in it. As your picture depects you have to jump over barbed wire to get to it. Regardless what your supporting info says I would see that and immediately think of a safety concern. That point plus you putting the marker on the pillars makes it seem as if you can’t cross over to the mural.

Either nominate the pillars which would be the easiest to get passed as its clear access and would meet the requirements. Or go down the other pth and take a picture without a barbed wire fence and probably have to try multiple times to get it passed as people will see that fence and think the obvious each time

Hahaha no. I cab place the pin within a few feet of the poi. As the pillars forms part of the whole poi I can place it either on the wall or the pillars if I see fit. That’s not a valid reason to reject. As for the fence, that keeps animals in its a field with a footpath running through. It can be seen carved out on the satellite and the gate can be seen. There is also a footpath leading up to the other side of the mural this can also been seen on the satellite. But yea I’ll submit part of the mural the pillars

But it isn’t. If they went to my link they’d see it’s an abstract flower mural with the word Hope in it. The fence does not mean it’s inaccessible. The fence keeps animals in a field and has a public footpath running through it. It’s a rural area and quite common in the UK for that to be the case. To carved out footpath can be seen on satellite and streetview. But yea I’ll submit the pillars.

• FrealafGB-PGOFrealafGB-PGO Posts: 354 ✭✭✭✭

I would take the main picture from the angle the parish magazine showed. It looks great there and you can see the whole thing. Your picture was at an angle and didn't show the full artwork as well as their picture. You could also do the suggestion of just submitting the tree art ona single pillar and get a fantastic picture of just that. Then link that parish magazine story in your supporting information. Your supporting picture should have the footpath clearly in it, and a bit of the mural.

It sounds great to me. You can use those rejection reasons as guidance to how to improve the nomination so that you address all those concerns in the next submission.

But it isn’t. If they went to my link they’d see it’s an abstract flower mural with the word Hope in it. The fence does not mean it’s inaccessible. The fence keeps animals in a field and has a public footpath running through it.

I think there is no need to argue anymore about this. You know better the place than us, but people here didn't reviewed your submission. We gave our opinion about what a reviewer may think by seeing your submission to help you improve it.

Let's summarize the comments :

• @Jtronmoore-PGO and I didn't liked the view of the fence/barbed wire as it may let us think that there is no safe pedestrian access. Whether or not it's true, that's what reviewers can think by seeing these pictures. Solution : take a picture without the fence/barbed wire.
    • @AScarletSabre-PGO and @Jtronmoore-PGO suggested you to nominate the columns instead of the murals and as @flatmatt-PGO said, the location pin will be at the right place by doing so.

You can now choose the solution you want! 😉

• flatmatt-PGOflatmatt-PGO Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think part of the issue is that people don't see the wall mural and the pillar murals as being part of a greater whole even though it's intended to be one piece. So people (like me) focus on the wall mural exclusively. I would definitely go with the "nominate just the pillars" plan.