How to possibly improve- rejected multiple times

So i’ve nominated this multiple times, the first time was when the guidelines were relaxed in terms of restaurants cafes etc. but they “generic business” rejection was still in wayfarer. Second time was when wayfarer got updated. I think it could be a really good POI. Any advice on a possible 3rd resubmit, or should I just not bother?

Comments

• LukeAllStars-INGLukeAllStars-ING Posts: 4,625 Ambassador

Definately improve the supplemental picture. I think, the description and the extra information are good. Maybe focus more on the sign in the main picture.

• Nadiwereb-PGONadiwereb-PGO Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

First of all: The supporting picture is horrible, to be honest. That's a picture of the ground in a parking lot. It doesn't even show the restaurant itself, just the asphalt.

Second: The main picture doesn't help your case either. At first glance, I wasn't even convinced it if was a restaurant at all, it could easily have been a shop that sells Indian ingredients in bulk. After reading your description and looking it up, I can see its merits, but sadly lots of reviewers will never get to that point.

Third: The restaurant kinda looks like a generic, run-of-the-mill place with its very industrial, commercial, mall-like surroundings. The website is also very generic, it doesn't really highlight it as a local hotspot, but rather as a high turnaround takeaway place. I suspect that most of that is because of the pandemic, but still, you need to present at least some evidence that the place has community importance.

My advice: take much, much better pictures. Don't put the sign on this nondescript wall as your main photo. I'd probably try to take a good picture of the logo at the entrance. Also, try to find reviews and articles that highlight the community aspect and cultural importance of the place and include those in your supporting text. It will still be an uphill battle if you do all that, but that way at least I can see a chance.

• purplepopple-INGpurplepopple-ING Posts: 189 ✭✭✭

Assume that people are not going to read the supplemental information. When I review, after I punch the star on title and description on my phone, it often default scrolls down to below to the map to check for duplicates.

As the nomination description presented, it sounds like a generic place to eat Indian food. in some places outside India, Indian food is super typical.

The award doesn't say who. Is it a local newspaper or is it from the Repsol or Michelin Guides? Also, praised by whom and for what?

"Michelin Guide listed restaurant is family owned by Indian immigrants from Goa. Established in 1919, it is the only Indian restaurant in town. It serves as an important community hub for other Indian immigrants, with people meeting to practice English, hold blessings, and play Chaupur."

That sort of thing establishes it as a unique play worth exploring, notable for awards, explains it isn't a generic Indian place opened by a big multinational and isn't a local curry shop. It explains how it is a social place without using the word social.

And then put more information in the supporting information. You need to clearly demonstrate how it is a cultural, historical and social place that is worth exploring... without using those words.

And then you still need to have a bit of luck because many people will still fail it anyway. (Which is why most will say nominate a mural inside or outside the restaurant as more likely to pass.)

• XIIAdamantium-PGOXIIAdamantium-PGO Posts: 16 ✭✭

The supporting photo does show the restaurant, what was in the screenshot is like half the photo. But i get your drift regarding that. I’ll give it a crack with the points you said :) thankyou

Thanks guys :) i’ll give it a another crack when I get time.

This is the sup photo, the first sup photo was similar to help the location of it with other nearby buildings etc. i’ll try again perhaps with what you said, I think people are just rejected business regardless, without actually reading info first

• TheFarix-PGOTheFarix-PGO Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

When you mention someplace is a "local hotspot", my first reaction is a sarcastic "Yeah, right!" followed by "What evidence is there that shows it is a local hotspot?" In a variation of "show, don't tell" you need to take the same approach with your description where you "describe, but don't tell". Put your best information in description instead of the supporting information. If the restaurant won awards, tell me the specific awards in the description. If it is the only Indian cuisine in the area, sell that as a point as well. And lastly, your supporting photo should not be of leaves in the parking lot. It should give perspective on the restaurant's location so that it helps reviewers find and identify it, or focus in on something that makes the restaurant stand out.

• LukeAllStars-INGLukeAllStars-ING Posts: 4,625 Ambassador

This one is definately better. Maybe also try using the main entrance as the location and the main photo. The sign is okay aswell, but you need to put the location on that "object".

• oscarc1-INGoscarc1-ING Posts: 366 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would suggest a slightly better photo without the shopping trolley lol

You make mention that is an award winning restaurant and one of the best, but you don't really tell us why

Google says there are nine Indian restaurants in the area, with four of them being in the same shopping centre. What makes this one so special compared to the others, rather than just another generic restaurant? Maybe awards, but who awarded them?

There's a Melbourne Wayfarers chat on Messenger, no idea how to add you, but if you ask for access in the Melbourne PoGo group I'm sure you can be added somehow. We can help you improve your nominations and give you feedback to ensure it is air-tight before it goes in voting.