mural in parking garage - worth upgrading?

I'm considering upgrading this, but want to be careful to get it right:

I'm worried about a rejection based on pedestrian access. There's a parking space right next to it, so I could also make the argument that if there were no pedestrian access, whoever parked there wouldn't be able to get out of their car.

Is my submission good as is? Should I go back over there and make a photosphere so that you can see the front of the leasing office too?

Many thanks for all your help

Comments

• Jtronmoore-PGOJtronmoore-PGO Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

Personally i wouldnt upgrade. If you think its an iffy nomination to begin with (looks fine to me imo), but if you think its iffy may be best to have local reviewers review it

• ibnAbed-PGOibnAbed-PGO Posts: 19 ✭✭

Thanks - I'm not hopeful that it will move into voting on its own without an upgrade (at least not for several more months/years). I just want to make sure that I've adequately addressed any potential concerns a reviewer might see so that I could avoid having to go through multiple attempts.

• SeaprincessHNB-PGOSeaprincessHNB-PGO Posts: 1,554 Ambassador

Don't upgrade this. You are battling the idiot reviewers who think parking lots don't have pedestrian access (uh, do you just transport out of and into your car?) and those who don't believe something exists unless they can see it on Google streetview or satellite (which I doubt you can for this).

• TheZodiac007-PGOTheZodiac007-PGO Posts: 860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021

I 110% agree with @SeaprincessHNB-PGO. Definitely don’t upgrade. I could easily see it get denied being upgraded. Just let it run it’s course. Hopefully it goes through quick because I personally really like it a lot. If I get it, you’ll get 5* from me @ibnAbed-PGO

Thanks, all. I didn't really ask my question correctly-- every nomination I made in this L14 (along with every other nomination that I ever made) has been stuck in queue for months. So I really have to upgrade and my question is how to improve it so it doesn't get rejected in that case. I'm taking it that a photosphere is esssential and that I need to add a long explanation about pedestrian access.

• sogNinjaman-INGsogNinjaman-ING Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

A photosphere will help locate the mural, as confirming the location can otherwise be a problem with "indoor" nominations. please don't go on about "safe pedestrian access", that's one of the phrases that's repeated so often in submissions it becomes meaningless and somewhat irritating. Your reviewers should be able to judge if there is safe access from your supporting photos.

edited February 2021

a photosphere will clear up any doubts to those who are on the fences whether it’s there or not so submitting a photosphere clears up those doubts & gives them a clearer view & gives them an entirely new perspective on your nomination too. I’ve had really good luck with photospheres. I have gotten in the habit to even do them where I wouldn’t expect too just because you don’t know how out of date a map could be without constantly looking at it & it’s a real pain to always look. It’s easier to just photosphere every time you submit that way you don’t have any doubts & wayfarers get that clearer view of the nomination as well. Also keeps you from having to submit one over again just in case. It sucks, I know. I guess we can blame Google for not keeping up with their maps. I wish they would pay people to take those photospheres like other companies do. We wouldn’t have to worry so much then.

Post edited by TheZodiac007-PGO on
  • SeaprincessHNB-PGOSeaprincessHNB-PGO Posts: 1,554 Ambassador

So I just got this to review which means you upgraded it. The photosphere I got was of an apartment, possibly one in the leasing office that is used to show what the apartments look like (wow, was it tiny). I saw the language you used to counter some of the issues we pointed out above, like pedestrian access. But in order to read the full comments, I had to click in the box. I hope regular reviewers will care enough to do so.

It actually got upgraded prematurely due to lagging agreements from reviews I did last week...before I had a chance to take the photosphere.

Anyway, yeah, rejected as everyone predicted

the photosphere is there now and I resubmitted it. I revised the supporting info a little

Ok, well it was rejected again... pedestrian access

I'm actually wondering of a way to avoid this concern. The mural actually continues over to the leasing office door. See the photosphere - https://www.google.com/maps/@32.7768027,-117.0585147,3a,75y,240h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sAF1QipMKSMraFKjMI_Vv4XBTZKZzGVGbs_6DrlTyzXqu!2e10

Should I just place the pin over there? That would decisively settle the pedestrian access question, right? I could revise the title of the submission as well to describe the whole picture.

• Lechu1730-PGOLechu1730-PGO Posts: 537 ✭✭✭✭

I was just thinking about this nomination and, to be honest, I'll have a hard time to approve it due to lack of pedestrian access based on the supporting picture.

Your PoI is located on the wall next to the reserved parking space for people with disabilities, and the main entrance to the parking garage. There's simply no way to stand next to the PoI in an area that's not supposed to be occupied by a car. If my kids were standing there either my wife or I (or probably both) would be screaming at them to get out to a safe place.

Theres literally a door within the painting. I’m thinking its more of people can’t use any common logic. A door made for people should have access which is obvious.

Oh yes, common sense being quite uncommon is easy to forget that pedestrian access isn't only the ability to reach the PoI on foot but also to safely remain there. While a door opening into the main car entrance of a car parking proves that you can reach the place on foot, the lack of any guardrail acting as a barrier, or even a clear demarcation on the floor makes it hard to defend that players can safely remain there. If, as the OP suggested, the PoI were located in the other wall the case for pedestrian access is much better because the area is clearly demarcated as No Parking.

And while "argument from authority is a logical fallacy" (and you shouldn't begin a sentence with "and"), conducting hazard studies in industrial settings is part of my job description. If I were evaluating this door at my job I would class it as having a high probability of leading to at least a person being hospitalized in the next 10 years and would require some mitigating action, like installing a guard rail, unless the door has a very low use frequency, such as being an escape route for emergencies only.

Of course you can still think the presence of a door guarantees pedestrian access, in which case I lament not being at the plant right now to take a picture of a door that opens 5 meters high in a wall...

I thought it was because I submitted the photo of the part of the mural that's right next to the parking spot (which, again, access because you have to be able to get out of the car if you park there). I'll try submitting with the photo centered at the corner, with the pin on the other corner (with the leasing office wall).

edited February 2021

Didnt know sidewalks had a guardrail barrier or that a guardrail was needed to prove pedestrian access 🙄

aka you do not need a guardrail to prove safe access if you can’t catch my sarcasm

Sidewalks have curbs, or sometimes bollards (I think that's the name in english) when they area at the same level that the street, demarcating the separation.

Your attempt at sarcasm is noted. Enjoy your life opening doors that lead into car traffic.

Finally got it accepted on the third try. Since all the walls have murals, i picked the adjacent wall which was unambiguously pedestrian friendly:

The photo isn't as nice as the original one, but whatever. Thanks for your help, everybody!

I'm really glad it worked out. Thanks for sharing, it's nice to see that the advice given was useful.

I knew this would get accepted. Murals are ALWAYS acceptable. I agree @Lechu1730-PGO

Also no one mentioned this but Niantic has said it before; POI doesn’t have to be accessible to everyone. Murals are almost always on buildings so they’re almost always acceptable because it’s almost impossible for one to be inaccessible. It would have been painted for that reason because it is accessible to at least one person. Hopefully this opens up the view on these for everyone