Change in system in upvoting portals (to influence which one's become gym).

liyu1-INGliyu1-ING Posts: 34 ✭✭
edited February 2021 in General Discussion

I haven't followed wayfarer for a loooong time, but is there something changed in what will become a gym?

It used to be the sum of upvotes + pictures, but now i see my older portal (1 picture and 1 upvote) has become gym and a new portal (made by pogo player with 8 ingress accounts 🙈 and thus 8 upvotes 🙈) .

If there's a change, it's a good thing, but i want to know the current mechanics.

PS: it happened once before with another new gym

Tagged:

Comments

• Mormegil71-INGMormegil71-ING Posts: 202 ✭✭✭

There is lots of speculations about it. Some say you have to upvote a week in advance now. I would like to know this as well. However, I don't think it is a good thing. Before, players had some say in where to put a gym, minimizing possible conflicts. Now it can end up anywhere.

• LukeAllStars-INGLukeAllStars-ING Posts: 4,625 Ambassador

Nobody knows the system, but yes, Niantic changed something. The new system is still undefined, so I wont tell you anything about it.

• TheFarix-PGOTheFarix-PGO Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, changes were made. The photo votes in Ingress was never intended to select which Wayspots would became gyms. Instead, it was intended to select the best quality photo to represent the Wayspot. But since the photo vote system was being exploited for other purposes, it was failing at fulfilling its primary purpose.