Please help nomination is ineligible

2»

Comments

• Daemare-PGODaemare-PGO Posts: 95 ✭✭✭

Lots of people explain the "40 Meter Rule" here: https://www.reddit.com/r/NianticWayfarer/comments/escr9s/the_40_meter_rule/ and the lawsuit that caused it. Niantic even says to be very careful when reviewing any POIs within those 40 meters. In this case, this LFL seems to be within 40m of multiple houses, potentially causing nuisance to any of them. It's not a large area such as a play ground or park, it is a single point that would result in people park in front of the houses, or worse play while driving through (because lets be real, the players who get out and walk are in the minority). Also as TheFarix said earlier, the easement is considered to be a part of the neighboring PRP, so it still falls under the PRP.

• sogNinjaman-INGsogNinjaman-ING Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021

If the OP photo were taken in the UK, the area where the LFL is positioned would not be considered PRP, as the pavement and vegetated areas between the pavement and the road would be owned and managed by the Local Council.

Post edited by sogNinjaman-ING on
  • TWVer-INGTWVer-ING Posts: 771 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 40 meter rule says to closely examine candidates within 40m, to make sure they are not on a private residential property, or would encourage trespassing.

I don't see how an object between the sidewalk and the street would encourage trespassing.

If it is located on public land, it is not located on an easement. An easement is by definition a part of a private property. So anything located outside of a private property, is not an easement. Public land in front of a house is not an easement.

• FrealafGB-PGOFrealafGB-PGO Posts: 354 ✭✭✭✭

That is exactly what I was trying to say. No one in the UK would think this is on private property.

So why are people here saying that I have to apply some rule that isn't law in my country?

If there is some global rule, why do we not just review globally? We already have to review from neighbouring countries in languages we can't read sometimes! But Niantic have told us that local knowledge is important for reviewing, so I'm just going to stick to following my country's laws and common sense instead.

• Pennry-PGOPennry-PGO Posts: 41 ✭✭

In that picture and by my local standards, the sidewalk is the right-of-way through the private property. It's generally considered public space, but maintained by the adjoining property owner. Niantic says to ignore my local laws and regulations and to just assume that if it's "close enough" to that property, it's not a valid submission. So as much as I'd like to consider the area, etc, I have to reject it.

When it comes to PRP, your local laws and regulations mean absolutely nothing to Niantic. Your definitions of what an easement is, mean nothing to Niantic.

People like to point out art on street lamps/poles and utility boxes. These seem to be fine because it's assumed that the lamps/poles are the city's property and utility boxes are owned either by the city or the utility company. But a large chunk of these are right outside of private residences. So we "40m rule" it and assess if it's valid by some unknown (usually the reviewer's personal) standard. So it's a valid question to ask why LFLs are any different. I think the big (and maybe only) difference here is that LFLs are usually maintained by the property owner. If it were maintained by the local library, then I guess it's up to the submitter to pitch that in the supporting info and gamble with what the reviewers are willing to look at and consider. I would do this and not get discouraged if it gets rejected and with each rejection, I'd try and represent my case to hopefully clearer and have greater chance at success.

• Jtronmoore-PGOJtronmoore-PGO Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

You’re wrong but what ever dude 😂. Try to submit that it’ll get rejected each and every time

• Lechu1730-PGOLechu1730-PGO Posts: 537 ✭✭✭✭

I have to admit that all these abstruse discussions about how many angels can dance on the head of an easement are on the end misleading.

Niantic makes the rules, vague as they are, and whenever asked for precision will say whatever the lawyers recommend them to say, which will be vague enough to be able in a lawsuit to point to whatever the claimant is demanding and say "But according to our guidelines this shouldn't be a Wayspot!". I can speak legalese and I can identify it when I read it. So don't expect clarity because it can't be given.

One thing is clear enough: wayspots inside PRP are to be rejected. What is PRP? Whatever the local reviewers think it is. After all it's players and not Niantic employees who evaluate wayspot.

So, is that LFL in PRP? Maybe. It depends on what the local community understands to be PRP. If the location were my city, I wouldn't class it as PRP and neither I think would the majority of reviewers here. However, that's irrelevant because we're not the reviewers of that nomination.

• JustinSaneV2-INGJustinSaneV2-ING Posts: 6 ✭✭

Please be sure to closely review nominations whose real-world location appears to be within 40 meters of private, single-family residential property, and nominations whose real-world location appears to be in a neighborhood park. To be clear, nominations should be rejected if their real-world location appears to be on private, single-family residential property or might encourage people to go onto private property (e.g., because the real-world location is at the end of a private driveway).

Straight from the Wayfarer Help section. This nomination is right off the driveway and is ineligible per this guideline.