Live in Wayfarer 3.1 is a new set of acceptance criteria! Please browse the information in this category with caution as it is in reference to the previous review guidelines. To learn more about the new criteria, see here: https://niantic.helpshift.com/a/wayfarer/

Memoiral benches/plaques clarification

I have a question about something I noticed a few days ago about memorials in the Potentially Confusing Nominations page. First is that memorials are covered twice on the page.

Memorials

Memorials are eligible, but only for significant figures in a community or for significant events. Memorials that contain human remains should adhere to the acceptance criteria for gravestones. 

Eligible:

This plaque contains detailed information about why this person is a significant historical figure.

And later under "Additional Examples and Guidelines":

Memorial bench/plaques - Eligible, if dedicated to a noteworthy member of a community or historical figure.

Both have very similar language and I think in general can be combined. But from the example, there seems to be an additional requirement that memorials must contain details about why the person is a noteworthy member of a community or historical figure. Am I correct on this? And should this also apply to memorial benches? It would provide a bit of a sanity check, especially against those who claim that if a memorial of any kind for a person, then the person is de facto noteworthy or historical.

Answers

• Gazzas89-PGOGazzas89-PGO Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

Along these lines, what would the thoughts of a memorial garden be?

• Fisher6040-INGFisher6040-ING Posts: 42 ✭✭

If the memorial garden is at a cemetery, you shouldn't. The January 2020 clarifications are pretty clear on what is and isn't eligible at a cemetery:

Cemeteries or Graveyards

• Acceptable: Headstones, statues or memorials dedicated to a historical figure, someone who is significant to the local community, or groups of individuals. For example, a WWII Veteran memorial.
    • Not acceptable: Signs at the entrance of cemeteries, cemetery directories, other headstones or memorials (regardless of how visually unique or artistic they are), or funeral homes.

• Fisher6040-INGFisher6040-ING Posts: 42 ✭✭

Memorial benches are like memorial bricks: often used to pay for grounds improvements that otherwise would have to come from general budgets, e.g. a park improvement budget. My take is that 90% or more of memorial benches are bought by family versus the community dedicating something towards a significant individual.

Our community has a new park that was named for a long-time City administrator who shaped major improvements to the City's master plan. He didn't personally pay for or donate money for the park, but was instrumental in bringing a higher quality to development within the City. The park was part of that vision and it was his hard work that is memorialized by the community choosing to name the park for him.

In other words, the community should have taken the initiative to remember a noteworthy individual without that person or their family "buying" the memorial.

If the name on the bench isn't someone that has a story that can easily be found searching and the supporting info also doesn't explain why they were significant to the community (not just that they are, but why they are), then it gets 1*.

@Fisher6040-PGO the one I'm looking at submitting isnt in a graveyard, it's in the middle of a rural area, it's not got anyone buried in it, just a memorial garden with general memorials for people

@Dice976jr-ING this is just off of street view, its not the picture I plan on using, nor the same side, going to get the other entrance (if I did this entrance it wouldnt go in to any game as it's less than 20m from another poi) but the signs is virtually the same

• NorthSeaPoet-INGNorthSeaPoet-ING Posts: 895 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can't see an issue with that getting through as long as the pedestrian access is okay. Just make sure there's a good description too. You know how picky us reviewers can be. 😅

@NicoSolheim-ING I submitted this morning, couldnt get a good a picture for supporting info as I wanted, but I think the description was something like

"A peaceful community space. A garden where families can have memorial plaques installed for their loved ones"

Could have done better I suppose but I did say u supporting info that it's a public garden, wel maintained, no human remains .... was gonna mention hat it's not he community garden that's next door to it (that has it's own stop) but figured if I said that then people would assume it was haha