Youtube Guy Supports Watermark!

So we have the AMA from January 2019. In this AMA we get the Info..

And in every Video, this Guy gets a Submisson with "Watermark", he Supports them ....

🤷🏻‍♂️ i don't know .....but i think it isn't okay to influence the Reviewer. Every Time i will Show him, the AMA ....He is ignore this.

Tagged:

Comments

• Thor3381-INGThor3381-ING Posts: 220 ✭✭✭

Watermark is now available as reason for a 1* rejection

I realy don't understand people who don't deactivate this option on their phone. Like within a few years: remember when I had a Redmi Note 8T ?

• BochumJules-PGOBochumJules-PGO Posts: 498 ✭✭✭✭

In Todays Video he told again, this sign isn't a Bad feature .....

• Nadiwereb-PGONadiwereb-PGO Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who exactly is this person and what exactly are you expecting from this topic?

• WheelTrekker-INGWheelTrekker-ING Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey youtube guy: stop posting those videos.

I guess that this fixes the problem.

• JoCze-PGOJoCze-PGO Posts: 54 ✭✭✭

I would appreciate such a clear message too since other communication channels did not work out

• Nadiwereb-PGONadiwereb-PGO Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

But from whom? And how? WE don't even know who we are talking about, there's nothing to identify this "Youtube guy" from.

Obviously it's the Youtube guy.

Or are you telling me that there are two guys uploading videos to Youtube?

• Lechu1730-PGOLechu1730-PGO Posts: 537 ✭✭✭✭

There's also the Youtube gal, so that makes them at least two people.

Its a Germany Wayfarer Youtuber ....and i am expecting , Niantic will Prof a Person who tells false facts to the community....

If you want the Channel Name you can get it..... and his Playername is in the Background....💁🏻‍♂️

• Rodensteiner-PGORodensteiner-PGO Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

youtube guy make good videos.

• Jtronmoore-PGOJtronmoore-PGO Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

You: “hey youtube guy does this niantic help me”

everyone else: “who cares niantic wont be doing anything about it anyways and you are just wasting time and energy in the forum”

• LukeAllStars-INGLukeAllStars-ING Posts: 4,625 Ambassador

Also, if you disagree on him, you dont need to watch his content.

For me, this is no personal vendetta. I just see that there is a general abuse of the watermark submissions that result in such things like watermarked submissions in the showcase. That is on the one hand connected to people like this youtuber, who praises these submissions and spreads misinformation (so yes, it would be appropriate to point that out), but on the other hand to certain bad phrasing from niantic, which also should be addressed. There are different criteria phrasings in the photo guidelines than in the photo rejection criteria. One is mentioning

"Copyrighted photos (e.g. watermarked stock photos)"

and the other one is talking about

"Photo includes [...] copyrighted material or watermarks, [...], contains a watermark, or is improperly oriented."

Apart from that, there is also discrepancy in the german translation.

Although I know the AMA and the posts from NianticGiffard, there are a lot of people that only care about the criteria, which in this case are a little bit contradictory. That is why I dont think that pointing that out is useless and I hope for clarifications in the criteria, so we dont have to argue about that anymore.

• Raachermannl-INGRaachermannl-ING Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Having said that, we have taken action against the Wayfinder in accordance with our policies."

I hope this doesn't mean, that you gave him a strike or something like that. That would be totally inadequate, because the thread creator didn't mention a lot of things to easily blame the youtuber. There are better solutions in this case. Since this thread escalated way to quickly, I'd like to ask @NianticCasey-ING to double-check the situation. Therefore I'd like to explain in detail, what is missing here:

This guy kows about the watermark rule in general, at least the German wording. The German wording for ineligible pictures states: "urheberrechtlich oder mit Wasserzeichen geschütztes Material" - translated: "with the help of copyright or watermark protected material". So this discussion only about the camera-type-watermarks. Those can be seen as information about the camera and not as protection of the image in any way. Additional to this basic point he often presents the following arguments:

• all Niantic-Games cut out different shapes of the picture and all of them lose the small watermarks in the corner of the pictures: Ingress takes roughly squared parts of the picture and in the key inventory extremely broad rectangles. PoGo in most cases circles for the stops and the gym pictures are also strangely cut to fit the background sphere. HP:WU uses pentagons ....
    • He doesnt want to discriminate submitters with phones, that don't allow to turn off this watermark stuff; and even further he doesnt want to discriminate people, who arent intelligent enough to turn it off....
    • In the youtube comments he was often pointet at different statements from this forum or the very old AMA answers like in the 1st post of this thread. He doesnt trust forums in general, because evryone can post evrything there. And these very old AMAs arent shown in any official Niantic source, only third party sites. So from his point of view only the statement from the criteria page about ineligible pictures is reliable ......

So please don't give him a strike. That would be a shot in the foot. In my oppinion he is a very good reviewer. He has a good knowledge about the rules, so for sure above average. Lots of bad reviewers arent able to deal with uncommon candidates and are unable to transfer the rules to very uncommon difficult candidates. His performance in that cases is very well, in my oppinion. There are way worse German youtubers ..... without dropping names, I have a few in mind, that are simply to dumb for wayfarer....

Further I want to add, that he is not in evry case as stubborn as with the camera-type-watermarks. For example he struggled with the review about a fake painted powerboxes. He had a bad gut feeling while reviewing, but he couldnt really figure out why. In that case the pictures were taken from a screen, but this could only be seen by looking at the full size pictures and then searching for Moirè-patterns. I commented under his video and gave him a wikipedia link about this - few videos later he applied, what I've shown him.

So please solve this situation here by sending him a nice e-mail. Tell him, that all watermark photos are ineligible, even the camera-information-watermarks. An official Niantic mail would be the reliable source, that he needs since he doesnt trust forum statements and the old AMAs on 3rd party websites.

.... and then please adjust the German wording in the criteria. That watermarks are ineligible should be mentioned without a context with the words "protected" or "copyright". So our youtuber may be a bit stubborn, but it's not his fault, that the criteria arent unambiguous. Striking him would be a shame and would damage the Niantic staff reputation.

edited March 2021

Thats on point! There is no need in punishing him as long as he now stops doing these misleading reviews. That is the most important thing. And I completely agree that the german phrasing but also the contradiction between the photo guidelines and the rejection criteria need to be solved.

I disagree that it is not his fault because I think he also had a very abusive way of bypassing the rule and he didnt change his mind either after I pointed out that the original criteria was mentioning watermarks in general, but still, this is not about punishing someone, who generally is a good reviewer. This is about adjusting some defects.

But for now thanks to @NianticAtlas for pursuing that issue!

edited March 2021

Edit: Duplicate Comment cause the other one wasnt shown properly, so I had to rewrite it

Thats on point. I agree that there is no need to punish this youtuber as long as he now stops doing these misleading reviews.

But I disagree that it is not his fault as he always had a very abusive way of bypassing these rules and he didnt even change his mind after I told him that the original criteria is talking about wastermarks in general.

Still, this is not about punishing someone, who made a mistake but is in general a really good reviewer. This is about adjusting some defects. And therefore, I completely agree that the german phrasing but also the contradiction between the photo guidelines and the photo rejection criteria need to be solved.

And I really appreciate that NianticAtlas took the time to pursue this issue!

Post edited by JoCze-PGO on

Casey has stated that the phone watermarks are not valid, so if someone disregards that direct statement and publishing videos claiming that they don't trust it, that means that they are going against Niantic's guidelines.

Every phone has the option to disable that watermark.

There's an option in the rejection reason to select watermark, so if someone nominates something and they get a rejection stating that there's a watermark, do you want me to believe that they are unable to understand that it's related to the watermark in their photo? How do you expect that person to submit good nominations if they are unable to take off the watermark?

• DerWelfe2205-PGODerWelfe2205-PGO Posts: 374 ✭✭✭✭

There is a translation error in the german criteria page as @Raachermannl-ING has already pointed out so it really is Niantics own fault. The entire point of the criteria overhaul was that the criteria page is the one true source so technically speaking he did nothing wrong.

Niantic should apologize and fix the mistake.

Easy to say for someone who is active in this forum 😂

noone outside knows Casey 😉

They might not know at first, but it seems that he has been told that he is wrong and pointed to the clarifying statement, so there's no excuse if he opted to ignore that.

You missed the point that he was more than once pointed to the orignal criteria and other sources, but stood stubborn, which is no exemplary behaviour especially for someone who reviews publicly. So its clearly also his fault.

• DerWelfe2205-PGODerWelfe2205-PGO Posts: 374 ✭✭✭✭

You understand that not everyone is fluent in english or wants to get involved in this forum?

Niantic stated that the criteria page is the source people should follow. If they can't even double check a translation that's on them.

Nobody has the get involved in the forum and the translator tools are good enough for most of the situations. If I tell you: "go here to read the clarification made by a Niantic's employee" and you dismiss this, then you're the one to blame. More over, if you just review by yourself, then you can do whatever you want, but if you publish videos in order to get fame and people tell you that you're wrong, then you should check those comments.

I partially agree with you, but nethertheless it would be a shame to strike him, as long as there is a fault in the German wording in the criteria page.

Strikes should be reserved for Fakers and Spoofers....

way around he is no problem, because it nearly never happens in Germany, that watermarked pictures get accepted. I see this way more often in czech republic.... watermarks are a problem there.

So our youtuber is only effecting his own rating by accepting camera-warermarks. Nethertheless he is perma-green...

And he also doesnt reach a lot of people. He usually has less than 20 clicks per video. He makes the videos just for fun, not to get fame.

There are only more clicks, if someone like our OP here tries to blame him here or in social media....

Have a Look at his Videos....in his last Video he did it again. Its not the first time our Community wanted to help him but he is irgnore this, and said our Group our this forum is unimportant .....

He understand but he ignore more than one time .... i was i contact with him but when i'm tryed to help him, he Blocked me .... and in some Videos he painted a smiley, when he got a Submisson like this.

edited March 2021

You are also one of those, who read in specific rules, what they want to read there 😉

Hint: additional street signs with information about the streets namesakes

so let's wait a few days and have a look, what Niantic says and does here, and the let's go on ...

Post edited by NianticAtlas on

I'm not here fore judging or to want to strike him. I'm here for need help to Show him the trueth and that he is wrong .....

*Hint: additional street signs with information about the streets namesakes* -> Show me the opposite ? The Additional signs is like an Memorial Plaque or like the german "Stolpersteine" (i don't know if there are exsisting in other countrys, i don't think) !!!