Live in Wayfarer 3.1 is a new set of acceptance criteria! Please browse the information in this category with caution as it is in reference to the previous review guidelines. To learn more about the new criteria, see here: https://niantic.helpshift.com/a/wayfarer/

Man made duck ponds

So I do feel that natural ponds shouldnt get accepted as they are natural features. But there are duck ponds that are clearly man made that are concrete and have run off pipes etc, would they be acceptable as they would be places people go to to feed ducks and congregate in general. I mean ones that specifically dont have signs and are smaller than a football/soccer pitch as that would closer to lake size than pond size

Tagged:

Answers

• GearGlider-INGGearGlider-ING Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020

If it doesn't have a sign or some physical marker indicating that it's okay for people to come up to the duck pond, or that it is historically/culturally relevant, then it's most likely not eligible. I'm using similar reasoning to the recent pools clarification from the criteria log.

Swimming Pools

Acceptable: Pools that have local historical or cultural significance beyond being a pool. For example, a pool that a local Olympic medal winner trained at would be eligible. 

Not acceptable: Pools at private residences, hotels, and community centers that are primarily for recreational purposes, even if they’re gathering places.

• RelishTray-PGORelishTray-PGO Posts: 22 ✭✭✭

They seem to me like they would be as eligible as any other water feature.

From Jan 2019:

Q28: It seems that man made reflecting pools would fall into the same category as fountains and wells of desire. Are they still the same level of candidates even if they don’t have a fountain incorporated?

A28: NIA OPS replied with, “This would be considered in the same category as fountains and other water features. Accepted as long as they have pedestrian access and meet our location criteria.”

https://ingressama.com/search?q=water+feature

The water feature clarification seems to be more for man-made water features specifically meant for humans. A duck pond could be made for the local wildlife first and foremost. So finding something like a sign that would indicate that the duck pond was indeed made for humans to also use is crucial in getting it approved.

• Gazzas89-PGOGazzas89-PGO Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GearGlider-PGO the one in thinking of has access to it as well as a path and benches all the way round it so inwould assume by that it is for people, and even has signs about some of the wildlife there and what to and not to feed ducks, but nothing about the actual pond itself, that's why I was wanting clarification

edited March 2020

If there's isn't a sign about the pong itself, then I personally wouldn't use a submission on it, since it has a high chance for rejection. The signs about wildlife have a great chance at being approved if they're informational and education (not the don't feed the ducks signs).

@GearGlider-PGO we did get one of the signs through, the one about wildlife, but we were hoping to get something at the other side, as the park it's in is great for stuff on one side but completely empty on the other bar an entrance. I'd heard both ways for ponds so wanted a wee bit of clarification

• Dice3423-INGDice3423-ING Posts: 817 ✭✭✭✭

Should share a photo so we can see what we are really discussing. Natural features are a clear rejection.

• Perringaiden-INGPerringaiden-ING Posts: 124 ✭✭✭

I'd probably only approve ones that had a sign or some indicator of name.

• Rostwold-INGRostwold-ING Posts: 172 ✭✭✭✭

I think it needs a sign, otherwise it's probably not interesting enough to be a 'point of interest'. We're told to reject parks with no sign, so I guess we should treat 'a flat bit of water with no sign' the same way as 'a flat bit of grass with no sign'.

@Gabriel0322-PGO it's a bit late to get a photo now, it is dark now, but I've got this google view, it diesnt really show it well enough

The street view diesnt really show that it is man made, that greenery is in the pond itself and was places there

• bobofango-INGbobofango-ING Posts: 17 ✭✭

There's a misconception that these man made ponds have "water features" or "fountain". They are features lol. The Water **** out of the lake is mean for Aeration to keep the pond oxygenated so the pond doesn't turn gross.