Deleted gym which was legit

Title of the Wayspot: "Pilone Votivo San Francesco di Sales"

City: Chieri, Turin province

Screenshot of the Rejection Email: I don't have any

Photos to support your claim:

Additional information: Hello everybody. As you can see from the pic above, we are talking about a WaySpot which was part of the game, a very well known gym, located in a little park with comfortable pedestrian access. Around 9 PM, on 31st of March (yesterday), this particular gym disappeared. After a quick investigation with other known players in the area, I suspect this fact was the result of a misbehavior carried on by someone who filed a cancellation request through the game.

I kindly ask everyone in charge of this appeals to reconsider the cancellation. I have reason to believe this Gym was located in correspondence of a well known Ingress portal, actually part of the map since its beta testing mode back in 2013. The particular WaySpot was related to a christian votive pylon, a little cripta with sacred images and relics very common in our country and culture. Many other Gyms around our city correspond themselves to similar votive pylons, they are considered a worship place.

Tagged:

Comments

• Maxyme99-PGOMaxyme99-PGO Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭✭

You need to give some proof it still exist in this location and it's in public and safe place (so you must make actual photos that will show POI and area surrowding it).

I tried to find it on map and it's really hard to do, but I found something I think it is, and it looks like a part of fence of nearby house - if this house is single family house, then it was removed for PRP. If you can prove it's not single family house, it will be restored, but if it's on single family house, then it is PRP and won't be restored.

But you need to give more proof (photos) to get any chance of it being restored.

• Ozmarcobaleno-PGOOzmarcobaleno-PGO Posts: 4 ✭✭

Thank you for your kind and quick answer.

Me and another player in my neighborhood worked hard in the last few hours to get the proof you asked, and I think the result will fill the gaps. Unfortunately the area is not covered by Google street view mapping, so both him and I submitted a 360° degree photosphere of the little altar/chapel we are talking about. It will be live shortly. I checked around 9 PM this evening, and it still wasn't, but maybe is too soon. I'll make sure the submission will land correctly.

In the following picture you can see the altar, with a christian cross on the top of it. It is located inside this little public park called "Porta Garibaldi", where people are used to spend their spare time relaxing and enjoying themselves, sometimes with pets and kids all along.

As I said before, it is a typical Italian religious altar, dedicated to three Christian Saints. Gates are obviously closed and the access is inevitably from the public garden. People and pilgrims come to prey inspired by the stunning fresco that covers the inner walls.

My friend also took the liberty to elaborate another picture with some additional information for you. As you can see in this second pic, there are two separate entrances for private buildings along the common fence. Still, that has nothing to do with the altar/chapel we are talking about. To be more specific, those buildings are clearly condos, and not single family houses.

If you need more clarification, we shared a brief recording of the surroundings. My friend was so kind to do the recording for me. Check this video, you can verify by yourself that we are talking about a 100% safe place for pedestrian, a meeting spot for everybody in the area and also a public place. Video: https://youtu.be/KcSXQ6N8V50

I wanna take a moment to thank you very much for your time. We are very grateful and we appreciated the excellent job you are doing daily with our favorite mobile game :)

• sogNinjaman-INGsogNinjaman-ING Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking at the video and the photos, while you can indeed access it from a public park, the Waypoint appears to built into the wall of the property boardering the park, which looks like a private residence. If it is a private, single family residence then the location of the Waypoint in the wall makes it invalid as it counts as part of the residence. This means it was removed as "PRP".

• Ozmarcobaleno-PGOOzmarcobaleno-PGO Posts: 4 ✭✭

Thank you for your kind and quick answer.

Certainly I agree with you, the altar is built within the fence of the yellow-brick property you saw in the pics. That being said, I would like to argue that this not necessarily means said altar belongs to the same residential property, nor the property is a single-family house.

I would like to start with the second point. As you can see in the pics above, the house is a two floor building. Satellite enlargements and other Street view pictures available on Google maps clearly show that particular building is very big, and can host multiple families. I have no information about the people who actually live inside, but in my experience I've never saw the windows open, so as far as we known it could be abandoned. This fact, if true, would not come to me as a surprise. Altars like that were built decades ago, paid by local noble families in order to pay respect to the Christian community. By the time the social and economic circumstances changed, they left their rural houses and moved to bigger urban centers, such like Turin (the nearest one). Our little provincial city, Chieri, is surrounded by hills, where rich families lived and established their own summer estates during the XVIII century, but now everything is abandoned and in a state of decay. They are being converted in museums for public display, because they represent a piece of our history. With all that said, I'm not necessarily arguing that the house near our altar is such an historic building itself, I don't have proof. I'm just trying to give you some context about our urban history and transformation throughout past decades.

In order to address my first point of discussion, I checked the FAQ and the correct definition of "private property" in the WayFarer guidelines, and it is said that:

Can you clarify the definition of “private residential property?” Are multi-family residences included in this rejection reason? What about Wayspots that are within 40m of a private residence?

[...] Considering that multi-family residences like apartment complexes can have publicly accessible amenities (like playground equipment), these could still be eligible as long as they meet all of the acceptance criteria. Nominations that appear to be within 40m of private, single-family residential property should be very closely reviewed to make sure they are not on private residential property, and that they are accessible from locations not on private residential property.

After a quick research, I realized altars like that are not private, but makes property by themselves, as sacred objects or places. I discovered that this particular one was requested by the so-called Varetto family, back in 1931, and remained there until nowadays. The closest building (the yellow one) appears to be more recent, and there are no signs left of this Varetto family (many people have just their name, as cases of homonym).

Sometimes, when those rich families I talked about before wanted a private chapel or fresco, they built something on the house facade (the same way as meridianas, and other stuff). When they were very rich and powerful, they used to build real chapels and cryptas, but they were to be for public display and worship only. Talking about this one, if it belonged to the owners of the yellow house, even if the most recent owner decided to buy it as historic object of interest, the altar would be always closed to the public. If if was a recent construction or the result of a remade by the recent owners, it would certainly face the inner side of the yard, for private use and worship. But it is not. The altar is facing the outside, and used to be open for pilgrims and other worshipers until the sanitary emergency hit.

We also established with photos and video proof that this altar is perfectly reachable from a public, pedestrian-friendly access, so if I made my point clear enough, I have reason to believe this appeal is rightful and will be heard.

If you need more clarification about the presence of other chapels and altars like that one, you can check a school project at this link: http://quarini.scuole.piemonte.it/Presenzecorretto/mappa.htm The 8h grade students, in the past years, created and interactable mini-encyclopedia. I personally know each and every one PokeStop in my town, and I can assure you that most of the altars, frescos and chapels in the city listed in that encyclopedia correspond to a PokeStop or a Gym in the game map. If it is legit to cancel the altar "Francesco di Sales", it would be also legit to erase the 90% of the WaySpot in town.

Thanks again for your time, I appreciated very much the attention and the dedication you are putting into my case.

• sogNinjaman-INGsogNinjaman-ING Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice post, but unfortunately Niantic have said many times, if a Waypoint is on or in the wall of a private residintial property it is ineligible, even if it can be accessed from areas that are not PRP.

• WheelTrekker-INGWheelTrekker-ING Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ozmarcobaleno-PGO Keep in mind that everyone that has replied to you so far are other forum users like you and me. The only ones that will really look at your appeal are those tagged with Niantic (and usually their username also starts with @niantic )

• Thanks for the appeal, Trainer. We conducted another review of this location and have confirmed our decision to retire the Wayspot in question.