Outdoor Gym Rejected

I know it isn't the prettiest, but it is legit and used often by the community at Vanier Park. The surrounding area has a playground, soccer pitch and two baseball diamonds.

This nomination has been rejected twice now.

Niantic Criteria section states, "Exercise equipment in public spaces."

Am I missing a catch word in the title or description that will signal to reviewers this should be approved?

Comments

• MarioSGodoy87-PGOMarioSGodoy87-PGO Posts: 169 ✭✭✭

Evaluators forget that public places for playing sports or games are also eligible.

• Purptacular-PGOPurptacular-PGO Posts: 284 ✭✭✭✭

I may be entirely wrong... but it's fairly common to reject playground and exercise equipment like this when it's a part of a nearby whole that already exists as a Wayspot. If this equipment is directly next to a playground, then I'd typically assume that it is part of the playground itself, and either mark as a duplicate or reject as not meeting criteria. As you mention that the surrounding area has a playground, I wonder if that could be the case.

• Jtronmoore-PGOJtronmoore-PGO Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like the rejection was for low rating on culturally/historically significant. I would just resubmit with a slightly more focussed picture of the exercise equipment. Maybe mention something about how the community uses said equipment or what effect it has on the community.

Also depending on how close it is to the playground it may get rejected as it would be considered “one play area”. This rejection happens time to time though don’t be discouraged just try again

• Lechu1730-PGOLechu1730-PGO Posts: 537 ✭✭✭✭

Try taking the picture in landscape instead of portrait so it's better focused on the equipment. As it is nearly half of the picture is grass so the quality of the picture isn't good and that's certainly hurting your nomination.

• Misch60-PGOMisch60-PGO Posts: 225 ✭✭✭

Tbh, that has nothing to do with the quality. If you take the photo closer in the same mode, you get the same effect. Rejecting it because you see too much grass is no reason for rejection anyway.

• Lechu1730-PGOLechu1730-PGO Posts: 537 ✭✭✭✭

@Misch60-PGO I know it shouldn't be rejected for that and I wouldn't have done it. Nevertheless, as was said in this forum time after time, a bad first impression from the picture can hurt the chances of a nomination so it pays off to take the best picture possible.

• WheelTrekker-INGWheelTrekker-ING Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

Niantic is the one to blame here.

It seems that if enough people rate it low in the "Historic and cultural value" section, a perfectly valid nomination can be rejected, and that's obviously a non-sense.

Your only chance is to improve it as much as possible to get higher scores and pray that the people don't rate it low in any category.

• Maxyme99-PGOMaxyme99-PGO Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had similiar problem with a playground once, it was always rejected for the same reason - "not culturally significant". With rejection like that it's really random and depends what reviewers you get, if you get better ones then nomination will be accepted sooner. Reviewers didn't really rejected it (they didn't really wanted to), they gave it low score on cultural and historical, but with no intention on rejection.

There really isn't much to improve for getting it accepted, it should get accepted sooner or later (I hope sooner). But I for sure would improve photo a bit - try making photo a little closer to the POI, and change photo ratio to 4: 3 or similiar ratio (so photo will be more like square rather than really long rectangle - in square ratio photo can be more focused on real POI and reviewers using mobiles will see it much better too).

You can try to write in support text that it is culturally significant, that culturally isn't only for cinemas or monuments - it's for things useful for community too, and sport equipments is useful for community - I think I wrote something like that last time with this playground, and it was accepted (in my country many people think that cultural means things like museums and monuments, and not much else so it had to be explained to them). But some reviewers might think about it as influencing they decisions, but I think it's still worth to try with it.

Good luck, I hope it will be accepted next time :)

• cyndiepooh-INGcyndiepooh-ING Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think this should go through. The rejection reasons are hard to figure out, but it could mean that people weren't sure this was actually exercise equipment. If there is a sign anywhere, submit that instead of the structure.

It would also be helpful to see your supporting photo. Make sure the supporting photo is taken from farther back but includes the thing you are submitting. I found a Vanier Park on Google Maps but couldn't see any fields or equipment like this to help you any further.

If the equipment has been installed since the last Maps view was taken, you may need to place a photosphere. You can download the Street View app and it's pretty easy to use.