Is this considered abuse?

I don't post here frequently, but I am an active reviewer and nominator who tries to keep up with the happenings on official and unofficial forums, discords, and Facebook groups.

Lately, I have noticed a good amount of nominations like these, with collages, photoshopped photos, and snarky comments in the supporting photos from submitters who have clearly had a hard time getting certain nominations approved. While I personally find these supporting photos annoying and cringeworthy- are they abusive? I know it has been stated before that circling something in a supporting image isn't against guidelines, but these seem to go a step too far... possibly encroaching on the "influencing reviewers" aspect of abuse.

I have attached two examples of these nominations. One of these I personally reviewed, the other one was posted in a Wayfarer group that I am in. For those who are wondering how this is possible, Ingress allows for photo submissions from the gallery, which allows folks to submit photos like these for supporting images

@NianticCasey-ING, @NianticGiffard -- would love to hear what the Wayfarer team thinks of this.

Comments

• LukeAllStars-INGLukeAllStars-ING Posts: 4,625 Ambassador

There is nothing abusive, as long as the reviewer doesn't explicitly ask for approval. In this case, the submitter tries to show all kinds of evidence that his nomination is eligible which arguing with the criteria, showing extra information, and also the location verification.

I also do this sometimes because it can actually be very helpful.

• pkmnsearch2-PGOpkmnsearch2-PGO Posts: 249 ✭✭✭

no its not abuse. even niantic said it can be helpful. search it on the forum

submitters are fed up with dumb reasons that's why they do this.

at least, by doing this, submitters can have peace that they tried everything. if it gets rejected, its due to bad reviewrs that shouldnt be on wayfarer.

• johnd131313-PGOjohnd131313-PGO Posts: 52 ✭✭

What about the abuse of reviewers? Niantic will never do anything about that

• Rodensteiner-PGORodensteiner-PGO Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

i already stated somewhere else that i think this is pushing people. I think it is never okay.

What next? Will someone make Supporting Photos with additions of Jay Leno?

Will someone will make a Youtube Video for its submission?

@NianticCasey-ING i think it is time to act.

• pkmnsearch2-PGOpkmnsearch2-PGO Posts: 249 ✭✭✭

nothing will ever happen to them. There should be better quality control of the submmiters and reviewers. And this forum is filled with great and simple ideas to mitigate some common errors.

and @zebromussel-ING i never saw one of those collages being used to defend an instant-1* sub, only things that were at least a 4* (which i am inclined that only the "pro" / "good" submmiters do it when they are fed up with dumb reject reasons)

here is the proof the even niantic consider it to be helpfull https://community.wayfarer.nianticlabs.com/discussion/comment/56654/#Comment_56654

@Rodensteiner-PGO the support section it is the only way for the submmiter to pitch about their nomination. Sometimes one simple photo isn't enough and overall the mindset is "the reviewer never reads the support text".

Again, personally i never saw these collages being used to pitch a clear-1* nom.

youtube video? yes, there are submmiter that even did put a link to a video where they stomp the thing to prove that it is not easily removable.

This isn't pushing reviewers, it is the only to pitch valid nominations.

Consider these collages to be "pushy" is only said by reviewer with weak personality....

Wayfarer system as many flaws and so, some submmiters are knowledge enough on how to mitigate close to zero those flaws.

• sophielab-INGsophielab-ING Posts: 266 ✭✭✭✭

Can we not personally attack someone whose personal opinion that a supporting collage is pushy? "Weak personality" Really?

The first supporting photo provides 3rd party proof that the rejection reason given earlier is probably incorrect. Yes, you can verify on the city website but most reviewers are lazy.

The second support picture is probably going to come off as obnoxious. The only 2 value adding ones on that one are on the right side. The rest of the collage is unnecessary. As a whole it may do more harm than good to the nomination since this one is that appears to be one where it subjective.

• Rodensteiner-PGORodensteiner-PGO Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sophielab-ING i already had my share of personal attacks by him and someone other on another thread.

Sometimes it can be tough to stand up to ones beliefs, and i can say i stand up proud because i think it is for the best that a submission stands on its on feet, and doesnt need a support section that looks like a netflix subcategory.

• Shilfiell-INGShilfiell-ING Posts: 1,560 Ambassador

It does seem overly busy and a bit pedantic, but one must appreciate the amount of work put in to these supporting photos. I only submit offsite when poor cell reception prohibits immediate submission, so I never make this level of effort, but I do admire the vigorous defense and additional documentation provided for submissions that evoke such a passionate campaign. I don't need the constant refreshers as to published criteria, but I don't take them as an insult if they're factual and apply to the other evidence presented.