Randomly Applied Upgrades to Denied Submissions

So I have been trying to do my best to make sure photos I submit are accepted and are easy to determine.

However, weeks ago I had one denied around the time I hit a chance for an upgrade. And suddenly the upgrade was associated with the denied submission.

Originally thought it was my fault, and I should be more careful, took the sour fruit as it were. However, I have not logged in much over these last few days and suddenly had another stop denied, and applied with the upgrade at the same time. I know for certain I didn't do it this time, is there something I am just overlooking that denials cost upgrades?

Comments

• WheelTrekker-INGWheelTrekker-ING Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you don't select an "Upgrade next" nomination, when you achieve an upgrade it will be automatically applied randomly to one of your nominations. According to Casey, they plan to change it somehow in the second half of this year (following Niantic's scale of time that should be around December 30th )

• QuiteConfused-INGQuiteConfused-ING Posts: 51 ✭✭

As WheelTrekker said, they're automatically applied. I lost my first upgrade that way too. It's definitely a bummer, and I don't think it benefits anyone. Watch your upgrade progress % in the upper right corner and make sure you have your "upgrade next" selected before that gets to 100.

Personally, when it gets up to 90% or so, I pick which one I want to upgrade next just to make sure it doesn't get auto-assigned and likely wasted. I don't do it sooner in case the nomination would go into voting on its own, but I live in an area where things move into voting within a month (sometimes within a week or two) without upgrades. I moved here from an area where things took a year or more to go into voting, so if I were still there I'd just go ahead and pick the next upgrade item when my progress was low, because I'd be pretty sure it would never move into voting on its own.