Clarification on these Benches

How did all these benches get in?!? Lol. I always google the name on them and give a 1 star if they are not someone of importance or famous. I find all these exact same type benches to be kind of annoying.

I'm still new to reviewing. Am I missing something? As I thought it was not waypoint criteria.

Comments

• Iongdistances-PGOIongdistances-PGO Posts: 164 ✭✭✭

Could be poor reviewing, but also, if the bench consists of someone important to THEIR community, then it should be eligible. Hence it could be someone who contributed greatly to the parks, or even did something major for the town. The person who nominated the bench would have to prove or show how the person had their importance. It doesn’t always have to be someone important in the whole world. Otherwise if it’s a generic memorial bench you could 1* it since it’s not someone of much importance.

• flatmatt-PGOflatmatt-PGO Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also, memorial benches were very commonly submitted and accepted back in earlier days, regardless of the identity of the memorialized person. This hasn't been the case in quite a while, but simply not meeting current criteria does not mean the wayspot will be removed. (This is one of the reasons why it's generally recommended that submitter and reviewers should not base their decisions on things that are already in the database.)

• pkmnsearch2-PGOpkmnsearch2-PGO Posts: 249 ✭✭✭

wayfarer exists since jun 2016, i think?

since then the guidelines have changed a lot.. so, yeah, what is today not eligible, was eligible in the past.

• TheFarix-PGOTheFarix-PGO Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

Other **** exists and there really isn't any other meaning behind it. Many reviewers who accept objects that don't meet criteria all the time, and there are a few cases where this activity is organized to produce the results you've shown. And that is precisely why we should never use existing Wayspots as examples of what is eligible.

• 1A1Tiypo1A1-PGO1A1Tiypo1A1-PGO Posts: 13 ✭✭

Thanks guys! I'm going to keep doing what I have been then. I wasn't reviewing based on what was there. I was actually reviewing a foot bridge. I was just shocked when I was scrolling through the duplicate part, and wanted to make sure I wasn't being to hard of a critique.

• Gendgi-PGOGendgi-PGO Posts: 3,534 Ambassador
    edited May 2021

Don't forget that it's difficult to judge what is on the nearby when you can't see the Description or Supporting to know why it's important to the community. That said, in a park near me there are a bunch of donor plaques on light poles around a pond and almost every one is in game - but from back when Niantic was reviewing in-house. I'd consider a few eligible for having funny quips but honestly "Donated by Steele Construction" is kind of an embarrassment.

Post edited by Gendgi-PGO on