Commercial Gyms

I've been trying to figure out whether commercial gyms meet the criteria, and there's a lot of conflicting information.

I believe they should meet the criteria because they encourage exercise. In cases where they're not a franchise, I believe they should be a definite pass every time.

In cases where they are a franchise - does the generic business criteria exclude them? It seems like they're meeting the criteria for being a place that encourages exercise, and not for being an inherently interesting place that people would want to visit because of their uniqueness, so it doesn't seem like that's an appropriate criteria to judge them on, compared to restaurants or art works.

Comments

• Jtronmoore-PGOJtronmoore-PGO Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

If they are the only gym in your town/city it should be fine but if you have a bunch it stands less of a chance. Yes they do meet the criteria but i havent had any luck with them yet

• Theisman-INGTheisman-ING Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭✭✭

My view is in stark contrast to the above and concerns the whole issue of encouraging exercise.

A commercial gym is a business, in and of its self it doesn't encourage exercises anymore than a standard path / sidewalk encourages people to go for a walk / run. Its just there and has a business model of pay us money and you can use our equipment. Theres no actual encouragement.

However an outdoor gym / exercise equipment like those you find in a park is there to tempt / encourage people to exercise, just like a trail is there to tempt you to walk and explore.

But a local gym can have thriving local community and be a social hotspot and be important and may be valid that way.

• RedsoxMark-PGORedsoxMark-PGO Posts: 52 ✭✭✭

An interesting viewpoint.

I accept that a Gym is a business. But to succeed, that business needs to encourage people to come to use their facilities and exercise. Unlike a sidewalk.

• Jtronmoore-PGOJtronmoore-PGO Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

How would a gym that is open to public not encourage exercise? That is literally there sole purpose of a gym is to encourage people to exercise and live a healthier lifestyle. A gym also serves as a spot for socializing. Many people including myself go to the gym with other people to work out together.

• Theisman-INGTheisman-ING Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021

Actually the main purpose of a gym, or any non not for profit business, is to make money for the owners share holders etc. The fact the service they provide allows people to become fitter is secondary.

Businesses dont, or at least very very few of them, do it for purely altruistic reasons, they do what they do to make cold hard cash as their main goal. Their primary reason is to make money, not the betterment of the people who go there.

However as I said above, I agree with you that they can be social hotspots and can possibly qualify as POI in that respect

• Gazzas89-PGOGazzas89-PGO Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

My personal view is

1. Non chain should be a pass, fairly easy, with the exercise and social aspects. Added on, not just gyms, but mma, crossfit things like that

2. Chain ones that are the only one I the area (gym in general on that one nit if there's 2 chain ones in the area) could pass

3. Reject chain ones thst are in a busy town that will have loads of gyms around

Wpuld be nice if anyone at niantic would give an answer though as this kind of thing has been asked multiple times in both this and the old criteria forums

• sogNinjaman-INGsogNinjaman-ING Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gyms - owned / managed by a public authority / local government (usually as part of a leisure centre or similar) - accept.

Owned and managed purely as a commercial business, chain or not, then rejection is the default option unless they can make a very good case for it. A bit like restaurants - some towns have several, why are they "special".

• phi2458-PGOphi2458-PGO Posts: 164 ✭✭✭

Finding out the main purpose of a gym is a question about systems analysis.

When we conduct system analysis research, we have to take into account all the stakeholders. In other words, we should consider not only shareholders but all the roles related to this system, including customers, employees, managers, and suppliers. If we only consider service providers, their purposes are making profits in most cases. Even though the service providers are governments, implicit profits are still factors they consider, such as reputation.

When you found the purposes of a commercial gym, you analyzed it from the perspective of service providers. While finding the purpose of exercise equipment, you analyzed it from the perspective of users. Therefore, the results are different. If you analyze them from the same perspective, the results would be similar.

Back to OP’s question, as far as I know, there is no official clarification of chain gyms. Both eligible and ineligible interpretations are reasonable. In my opinion, I would accept it because it is a good place for exercising. There may be many gyms in the city, but the number of outdoor exercise equipment is definitely higher. I don’t think the chain gyms are too many to be accepted.

I’m not sure if I’m correct. If there is any official clarification about it, please let me know. Thank you.