Unfair Reviewers of Wayfarer in the Philippines

There must be something to be done for reviewers being biased and unfair to one another. Qualified nominations are rated as ineligible by reviewers because of crab mentality. Niantic must find a way to stop this. There must be a reward system or incentive for reviewers with good performance and punishment (e.g. blocked in wayfarer, banned for 3 months, demotion in pokemon in game, reduce nominations, etc) for those with very poor performance in Wayfarer. That way, reviewers will be encouraged to do better.

Comments

• Hosette-INGHosette-ING Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Share some examples, please.

It takes a number of reviewers to reject something so it would require a group of reviewers to all make the same mistakes together.

• Clindamycin2016-PGOClindamycin2016-PGO Posts: 6 ✭✭

public cemetery, public basketball court, landmark name/ signage, a church, government administrative building, cell tower, etc

you dont understand. things are different here in my country. landmarks here could mean the name of the place/ town/ province or a welcome sign and most if not all, anyone can take pictures with them like a tourist. anyone can enter in any government offices or premises here provided you are wearing something decent and have an ID with you. As for cemetery, i beg to disagree with you. niantic will not put cemetery under its categories if its “specifically forbidden” as you said. same with cell towers: its also in the categories.

Not every country have the same culture as to how we take things into consideration. it may be private in other countries but open to the public to some; or it may seem temporary in other cultures but permanent in other places.

its not niantics categories im questioning. im just suggesting something that could improve reviewers performance and for reviewers to do better.

• okto345-INGokto345-ING Posts: 329 ✭✭✭

Firstly, by "categories" do you mean the "What Is It?" section during reviews? It can't be used as a guide whether a nomination is eligible, since other ineligible categories such as "Elementary School" are included in it. It's likely just for Niantic to add identification data to the nomination.

Secondly, cemeteries are actually cited as an example in the rejection criteria:

Ineligible location, place, or object

Sensitive locations like gravestones (not associated with a significant/historical figure) and cemeteries

I have to laugh: I just quoted Niantic's rejection criteria verbatim and the post got held for moderation. While the longer post gets approved, @Clindamycin2016-PGO here's a quote from Niantic's list of rejection reasons:

• Sensitive locations like gravestones (not associated with a significant/historical figure) and cemeteries

whoah! its not about the categories! look at a wider angle. its about the reviewers trying to put down other nominations just for being bitter theirs no possible nominations nearby anywhere them. try the reviewers here in the philippines and many of the approved nominations overseas would have been rejected. whats so bad about my suggestion? youre moving away from the idea i just proposed. i dont argue whether or not my nominations would have been accepted. dont be so technical.

what im trying to say is there should also be reward system or incentive or some sort of punishment for those taking advantage of wayfarer. that is to encourage everyone to do better.

• WheelTrekker-INGWheelTrekker-ING Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's already an incentive system.

If they don't follow the rules and disagree about what's valid or invalid, their rating will drop, so they won't get the medal in Ingress/Pokemon and also if their reviews don't match the rest of the wayfarer community then they don't earn upgrades.

That happens for every reviewer everywhere around the world, there's no need to set special rules for any country.

• Gazzas89-PGOGazzas89-PGO Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

Of that list, the following is eligible

Cemetery, no

Basketball court, yes

Landmark name/sign, dependent on a couple of things but without seeing them I'd lean towards yes

Church, yes

Government building, no

Cell tower, no

@Clindamycin2016-PGO My apologies. I thought you posted here seeking help, so that's what I and others offered.

• SlicedPeas-INGSlicedPeas-ING Posts: 336 ✭✭✭✭

Google that user name and you'll see they're a complete troll.

• gl00mymay-PGOgl00mymay-PGO Posts: 18 ✭✭

Well, It looks like you might be part of the problem @Clindamycin2016-PGO , not the reviewers rejecting obviously ineligible nominations.

What made you believe cell towers are eligible?

FYI. Most water towers you see are in private single family residences making them ineligible. Getting one rejected isn't really something to get mad about. Try re-nominating and hope reviewers who has no idea about the guidelines set by Niantic accept the nomination.

• Anderor-INGAnderor-ING Posts: 5 ✭✭

This is probably a problem in several areas. I am usually denied everything, for example: a playground is a restaurant, a statue of Jesus is offensive or explicit behavior, a large fountain is only temporary ... etc, etc ... When they see that something is already approved to approach, they move the sign to already approved portal which is 200-300m away and it's something completely different.

It was equally strange why the checks zraru after more than a year, I dropped in the ratings ... so I tried to do the same what others are doing, and what happened? My rating went up ...

It's just that there's no mistake of a wayfarer when people are insidious. "If the nomination did not pass me, I will not approve of you either."

• pnielt-PGOpnielt-PGO Posts: 3 ✭✭

I totally agree I recently reached lvl 37 and my first nomination got rejected for so many reasons that were unreasonable to me given the info I put in and the visual aid from google maps that shows it's an eligible poi. I appealed it to niantic and got accepted within 2 days totally stoked when it appeared in-game. My latest nomination got also rejected by the local community and this is giving me the impression that local reviewers here nitpick nominations that aren't visually posh for them like those nominations in rich areas even tho it is an eligible poi, that or they have too much gravitas idk.

edited May 2023

but there are also lots of poke stops around here that are water tanks/towers and are usually situated in private villages/gated communities idk what they're on

• PaulingZubat-PGOPaulingZubat-PGO Posts: 604 Ambassador

@pnielt-PGO I found that you'll need to spoonfeed every detail that may dissociate rejection reasons and layout the acceptance criteria for reviewers. This is a larger issue not exclusive to the country sadly. I've also heard of horrible regional differences in reviewing quality.

Gated communities and other limited-access sites however are not a reason to reject, see first 3 criteria questions from this AMA. Water tanks were said to be visual landmarks given that it is painted/highly distinct but some falsely generalize it being categorically eligible, you'll see a lot more over-generalizations like that in the reviews.

That said, there is always room for improvement. That's what the forum is for. I sometimes ask for help in the discord for multiple sets of eyes too.

I did put as much information about the poi I nominated cause sometimes google doesn't always have updated visuals of specific places, it's just that maybe some reviewers don't even bother to read or check it which is frustrating given that we can only appeal occasionally. Anyhow thanks a bunch for this response a lot of great points, actually made some things clearer!☺️☺️