Active submitter or multiple on a military base

2»

Comments

• tp235-INGtp235-ING Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only criteria I consider in a military base is whether it is inside or outside the fence.

There is certainly a community there as well.

However, there is a discipline that the military and military personnel as a whole must abide by.

The fence line is an indication of that.

• MagicalThorn-INGMagicalThorn-ING Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

I can only take it as sophistry when I am presented with emotional arguments.

If you think about what the purpose of that military base is there, it is obvious that you should not create a Wasypots inside a military base.

To take a simple example,consider why a Google Street View Car cannot walk around a military base filming in all directions.

In fact, even if it did, it would only be filming up to the gates or the public roads that run through the base (such as the US Hwy).

Not only in the U.S.A., but also in Japan.

Applications were also received from within the US military bases in Japan.

Although the term "military base" may be misleading, there are many Wayspot applications from Japanese "Self-Defense Forces" bases, many of which are already ONLINE.

This is a very very worrying situation.

I would also like to see Niantic geo-block military bases so that they cannot post them.

• sinXsan-INGsinXsan-ING Posts: 299 ✭✭✭

In Japan, there was a debate about the Self-Defense Forces base as shown in the link below.

But in the end it has not been resolved.

Military personnel on the inside are actively making suggestions or misrepresenting the fact that they are on base.

In the case of small bases, they are almost exclusively POIs, creating even an imbalance in the game.

• TrevorAlan-PGOTrevorAlan-PGO Posts: 998 ✭✭✭✭✭

Military personnel are not the only people that are on base. Civilians, contractors, spouses work on base. And spouses, children, other family members and retired military also live on base. As I have said before its not a top secret warzone, its literally just a gated community. They just have guards. Have you ever lived on base?

Gated apartment complexes and gate housing communities also don't have google street view, why? Because the mapping cars couldn't get inside the gate. You can very easily view 3D maps of bases, and aerial images of bases. I don't know about other countries, but I have lived on 6 different US AFB in my life and they aren't top secret bootcamp warzones. People apparently don't understand what a military base is in the US vs. an installation like site C-6, cheyenne mountain complex, etc.

• Jtronmoore-PGOJtronmoore-PGO Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most bases are already geoblocked for operational areas. If there are pokemon spawning on base its because it is not an operational area

• tp235-INGtp235-ING Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭✭✭

You have a great military father, but you seem to be so loyal to your own desires that you can't think about what is in the best interest of the country you are in.

It is true that the U.S. is a very special country, where military families live in housing on military base grounds, and a city is built on the grounds.

I am aware that there are parks, meeting places, etc. there.

But that's only in the US.

Almost all other countries have their houses outside, and there is no city inside the military base.

Therefore, the act of building a POI inside a base like this is very likely to undermine national security, and many players are very concerned about this.

And it is no different in the United States, where a city within a military base can be detrimental to national security. That's because it's inside a military base site.

This is why I believe that military bases are listed as unsuitable locations.

And you live in a military base. It is your fate.

Like me, you live in the countryside. This is also my fate.

All of us play with a kind of unfairness in that we all live in different places.

This is the fate of location-based games.

This game is not just for you.

If you feel that this is unfair, then don't play Niantic games.

If you feel this is unfair, then don't play Niantic games, because location-based games are the most condensed form of unfairness you can think of.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

edited June 2021

Please explain how a POI at a children's playground will "undermine national security". I'm not trying to be nasty, but you seem to be one of the many of people who don't understand what a US military base is or how it works... I'm trying to explain that these aren't top secret facilities. They're quite literally gated (family) housing communities. https://community.wayfarer.nianticlabs.com/discussion/18860/clarification-on-why-us-military-bases-are-banned# I am having a conversation on this thread oabout this. I also included a map from GOOGLE maps of an air force base. They are mapped, in 3D, there's no "breach of national security" Also I highlight the large swaths of land that are recreational and privatized housing. And no I am not being selfish. I don't live on base, I am an adult not a dependant. I don't benefit in any way from trying to force this issue, i'm helping the military community who live on base.

• Jtronmoore-PGOJtronmoore-PGO Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021

Its not only the usa bases. Canadian bases are also set up like this. Then have an operational side then a residential side. Please educate yourself on military areas before commenting on something you know nothing of 😂

”undermining national security” is a joke on residential sides of the base. The military police arent going around preventing anyone from taking pictures in residential areas. Operational yes as its a restricted access with sensitive info but residential. Absolutely NOT!

• MagicalThorn-INGMagicalThorn-ING Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

We don't need to talk about tearjerkers.

Let's start by remembering in which country Niantic was founded and where it is based.

When Niantic says "We don't build Wayspots on military bases", what country's military base do you think they have in mind?

Of course, I believe they are describing the military bases of every country in the world.

Or do you think that only U.S.A. military bases can be excluded from them?

If Niantic had been so inclined, they would have written a proviso from the outset saying that they would exclude the U.S.A.

But it was not.

In other words, Niantic has expressed the view that it is not a good idea to uniformly Wayspot military bases.

I'll say it again.

No matter how many sob stories you repeat, it is useless.

You say.

"Only U.S.A. military bases are special!

We are allowed to build a Wayspot there!”

You keep repeating that.

I see it as a child whining, 

"No, no, no!”

No amount of quibbling is going to change the facts.

POI in a children's playground?

OK,but as long as it's a children's playground, out of a military base.

You have described it as follows.

-"Gated apartment complexes and gate housing communities also don't have google street view, why? Because the mapping cars couldn't get inside the gate."

Why couldn't the Google Street View Car get in there?

This is a very simple story.

Was the Google Street View Car banned from entering or did they refrain from entering and filming?

I don't know if it was any of those things, but I would guess that it was probably one of those things.

I repeat.

You wrote;

-"Because the mapping cars couldn't get inside the gate."

That's exactly right.

The Google Street View Car could not get in there.

Because it's a military base.

This is the truth.

No amount of reiteration from you will change this fact.

• Daemare-PGODaemare-PGO Posts: 95 ✭✭✭

@TrevorAlan-PGO Personally, I have nothing against POIs on bases (hence why I don't report any when I see them on base), but Niantic has put in the rules that POI on military bases are ineligible. @NianticCasey-ING clearly said it here: https://community.wayfarer.nianticlabs.com/discussion/6420/military-bases-again You may disagree with it, but that's the rules. Personally, I'd love to add more to Belvoir and Benning, but Niantic has rules against it. That's pretty much it.

• AgentX1976-INGAgentX1976-ING Posts: 598 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have seen a lot of submits from Mountain Home AFB in Idaho as well. It does not appear any have gone through, but whomever (if it's only one person) hasn't taken the hint yet.

• Sunlitgarden-INGSunlitgarden-ING Posts: 204 ✭✭✭

After reading these threads I end up feeling very conflicted when I run across submissions like this:

Very obviously a park in a completely harmless residential area.

I feel bad rejecting it! But we do have guidance from Niantic at this time to 1* anything on a base per that post above.