Suggestion for Wayfarer: Rural tag (with weighting)

Since there's no suggestions category in this forum, I'll post here and hope it's seen by those that can influence improvements to Wayfarer (resisting urge to tag staff 😁)

I'd like to see a new section in the review screen where reviewers could tag a review as being in a rural area. Here's how I see it could work:

I get a nomination to review that's a generic seeming diner/coffee shop/ whatever that if it were in a densely populated area would likely NOT be approved without substantial proof it's different than every other similar business/location/POI. But a diner in a town that has literally no other restaurants WOULD be completely within the guidelines (and spirit of what Niantic is asking us to judge) even if it's just a diner (or whatever - please understand this isn't about diners but ANY nomination).

Reviewers could then rate it and mark the "rural" tag which could be programmed to shift the weight if enough reviewers agree "hey, cut this nomination some slack, it's all this town has."

Now-- IF reviewers were reviewing properly all the time this would not be necessary, because we as reviewers are SUPPOSED to be rating based on the community and surrounding area, NOT by some list of "this is always yes and this is always no" which SO MANY reviewers go by. But that is never going to happen. So adding a "rural" tag could help weight differently than one not marked as such-- essentially maybe making the ones who approve and tag as rural count more than the straight 1* given by the "list checker" reviewers. (I leave it to Niantic to know how since we don't know the magical formulas).

Could it be abused? Yep, but just as easily as the abusers are already doing so. But the benefits to these POI poor rural areas could be major.

I know lots will want to pike holes in this and that's fine...but putting it out there anyway in case it can help spark discussion.

Comments

• SlicedPeas-INGSlicedPeas-ING Posts: 336 ✭✭✭✭

I'll suggest a slight improvement that could cut down on abuse, provide three tags, Urban, Suburban and Rural. Make it a required things to fill in, and then it becomes part of the agreement process, so if a reviewer is consistently tagging things as 'rural' that are tagged by others as urban, their rating could be affected.

• SeaprincessHNB-PGOSeaprincessHNB-PGO Posts: 1,606 Ambassador

I think those words/labels are too open to interpretation. I live in an area that is very suburban but just a 15 minute drive could get me to an area I might call rural based on POI density but then if I drive another 15 minutes I'm back in another suburban area. It's all very loosey goosey.