Russia Wayfarer Challenge: Earn double the rewards, plus 10 Upgrades, by reaching 7,000 Wayspots added by 16 June, 2021! Learn More

Curse of the upgrade?

Sure. I went for a spicy title referencing the location of the launch and not the sign.

But does this really not meet the criteria or am I being "punished" for my impatience (upgrade used)?

Comments

• Thor3381-INGThor3381-ING Posts: 88 ✭✭✭

IMHO this is not a strong candicate.

A Kayak-launching spot can hardly be seen as a trail-head, unless you can walk on water.

The plaque on the initial picture mentions "Stallings Island Launch Point" but also "Straight ahead" which to me makes it more like a "this way" sign towards your actaual nominee.

As for location, on sat-view it looks ok, but when you look at your images on google streetview on which you have the pin they don't match.

There is a sign lying against a tree on the left, whereas on the right there is a similar sign as in your main picture hidden behind the branches. On your main pic the sign is on the left side of the gravel-road.

• Oakes1923-PGOOakes1923-PGO Posts: 193 ✭✭✭

With upgrades, the title, the picture, and the supporting picture/info need to be no brainers, spot on. "Above the Headgates"? Maybe if I was local I might know what that meant but this went out o the masses so... no clue.

I know Niantic tells you to "show off your photography skills", you probably went a little over board with the submission photo because I guarantee at least one rejecter said to themselves it looked fake or was a third party photo (take it as a compliment?)

Boat launches around me are almost universally accepted if they have decent photo's. Love the idea of calling them a trailhead but as @Thor3381-ING pointed out not everyone will agree with that and be that open minded, as it stretches the norm.

Here is a kayak launch I submitted in my area. First image in the portal, second was the supporting information. Title: Kayak Launch - Woodlock Recreation Area

One suggestion I might make is when you take your supporting information photo, if you have access to a kayak or canoe bring it down and drop it next to the launch site. Just like staging a house for sale. Gotta sell the optics. Unfortunately your supporting info is TLDR. Sometimes less is more, sometimes more is more. Tough crowd these Wayfarers. Good luck.

• MermaidRamPaige-PGOMermaidRamPaige-PGO Posts: 33 ✭✭

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate you taking the time and your feedback.

"Aquatic trailhead" for kayaking, since it is a kayak launch, but I'll leave that part out.

Glad to see other launches that have been accepted that are not man-made wooden docks. Big help. I can haul a kayak up there. Good idea on staging.

Here's a link to the streetview. Everything is in one spot. The Photosphere is closer to the water and the nomination picture which is why the sides are flipped.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.5515353,-82.0400325,3a,75y,340h,70t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sAF1QipNawTtN2pe2LLgx5e5aKfU1NGMQ3S3hxxvDsto!2e10

• EvilDoctorSlice-INGEvilDoctorSlice-ING Posts: 39 ✭✭

@Oakes1923-PGO did your kayak launch submission get approved?

I don't know anything about kayaking but these just look like photos of a section of riverbank to my untrained eyes. I get that you need a fairly shallow place to get kayaks in and out of the water, but there doesn't appear to be anything man-made here. Don't these just get rejected for being natural features?

I live near a river and there are several places where a concrete roadway leads directly into the water to allow people to launch canoes and boats. Can't say I've ever imagined them qualifying as wayspots though, so I'd be interested if any of these sorts of submissions ever get approved.