Gym and Sports Centre rejections and the "Generic Business" legacy

We've recently come across an ever-increasing number of rejections for Wayspots that to me, and also according to many other players in our local community, should obviously be considered good candidates. Most of the times, the reason is either inappropriate, explicit or sensitive location, which we've now grown to expect even for the best of our submissions, including stuff like gyms and sports centers:

It seems like a lot of reviewers are so stubborn that they're still trying to cope with the fact that "generic business" is no longer a valid reason (not that these locations should have been considered generic in the first place), so, to make the matter even worse, it's almost as if they're making up their own criteria whenever they feel like it. While it is true that access inside these facilities may be somewhat restricted to club members only, they are in no way private as they remain visitable from the public within any allotted timeframe, while the Wayspots themselves technically remain accessible at any given time from the outside. And it's not like this isn't transparent enough from public Street View imagery, since the placement where we've been requesting these clearly coincides with the signs in the images and it's always perfectly documented.

Comments

• spiesr-INGspiesr-ING Posts: 313 ✭✭✭✭

Last direction I recall on the matter was they gyms and the like don't inherently meet the "promotes exercise" criteria and must be judged on their individual merits as culturally significant businesses. As I cannot read your description or supporting info I do not know if you successfully demonstrated that for this submission.

• Jtronmoore-PGOJtronmoore-PGO Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

i honestly don’t get how anyone can think that a gym where people work out doesn’t inherently promote exercise. As that is literally the very purpose that the gym is there in the first place is to promote an active and healthy lifestyle.

Personally if I see a gym and its not a huge chain or I know its the only one around I vote it 5*.

Gyms promote exercise and a healthy lifestyle. People workout there, learn different exercises and improve there fitness.

Gyms promote socialization with other gym goers. I go with friends or meet there with friends to workout together. Talk joke around.

the only thing I don’t believe it meets is exploration. And as long its not a generic chain it should be fine in my opinion

• Maarblee-INGMaarblee-ING Posts: 35 ✭✭✭

I mean, for that specific submission I understand that the description might have been a factor which could have been improved upon, but unfortunately another disappointing consequence of receiving upgrades after the Russian Wayfarer Challenge was that a couple of our requests have automatically been assigned one and went into voting without the chance of further editing the supporting info. Luckily, we've recently been able to assign the next one every 10 hours or so, but I would like to point out that the problem is still stands in the current state of many local reviewers. I usually tend to max out on the character limit for every description since one of my main goals when looking at potential new points of interest to add is to inform people about the beautiful history and cultural aspects that might otherwise go unnoticed from a regular perspective, and I've actually been learning a lot in the process! But the sad thing is that whenever my descriptions get too long, people start thinking I'm making stuff up so they doubt the rest of the candidate itself and compromise the whole text for being irrelevant... Besides, a lot of other players in my area have been noticing similar occurrences recently, now more than ever. Unfair rejection reasons have always been a thing, but because of all the upgrades that we've been using it clearly shows. We've had leisure centres and historical associations being rejected for the same reason of explicitness, religious murals on the external walls of restaurants for "Private Residential Property" and "Generic Businesses" where there were also signs in the supporting info clearly welcoming any visitors. This is all starting to add up, and I don't know if I feel like I can take any more of this kind of stuff