Wayfarer Anniversary Event - What do you want to see?

PkmnTrainerJ-INGPkmnTrainerJ-ING Posts: 5,102 Ambassador
edited June 2021 in General Discussion

Recently there has been the two year anniversary of Harry Potter: Wizards Unite (https://community.harrypotterwizardsunite.com/en/discussion/14719/second-year-anniversary-event#latest) and they had an event to celebrate.

Pokémon GO has their anniversary coming too (https://pokemongolive.com/en/events/fest/2021/) and Ingress has theirs in November (https://community.ingress.com/en/discussion/12625/ingress-year-eight-resonance#latest).

Looking around, OPR (pre-Wayfarer) became public in September 2017, and became Wayfarer in October 2019.

If there was to be a Wayfarer Anniversary event this year, when would you want it to be (September for OPR, or October for Wayfarer) and what would you want to happen in it? Double review points? Extra submissions for the week of the anniversary? HPWU submissions rolled out?

Thought it would be worth seeing what folks want/think.

Comments

• aleprj-INGaleprj-ING Posts: 565 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Aeryle88-PGOAeryle88-PGO Posts: 440 ✭✭✭

More submisions.

Appeal for False rejections.

Niantic change the system to reduce false rejection (especially on Trail Markers)

Allowing Natural features as POI.

• HaramDingo-INGHaramDingo-ING Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

I want to see at least 51% of reviews for every candidate come from non-local reviewers. This would cut down on abuse by ensuring that local cabals and multi-accounters can't make their own rules.

Please no, not this. In Australia, we have a very weird problem regarding states and nominations on the opposite sides of the country. If someone upgraded a gazebo in Western Australia, all the eastern states that don't care will cause it to be overall rejected, and vice-versa. Someone in Sydney trying to submit a mural will probably get it rejected by even Victorians and pretty much everyone else (even the ACT at times) when upgraded. Which is why often upgrades are the bane of existence to Australian reviewers. Not generalising all interstate reviewers, but that is the case.

But in regards to the Wayfarer anniversary, I would like to see:

• Real yearly statistics releases
    • A Wayfarer tier-level overhaul (i.e. adjusting the amount of privilege/nomination slots you have the more edits and reviews you do)
    • An AMA, which is long overdue, and
    • Maybe the actual implementation of the Wayfarer Community Ambassadors program?
    • A stringent re-review system which would intensively analyse erroneous reject reasons and slightly open up the possibility for an appeals possibility and provide better feedback on nominations instead of just thanking you for "hard work".
  • Rodensteiner-PGORodensteiner-PGO Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭

Id Like wayfarer to be shut Off and replaced by a new system that isnt broken as feature

• Hosette-INGHosette-ING Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rodensteiner-ING What would the new system look like for you?

• Rodensteiner-PGORodensteiner-PGO Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭

besides the obvious things (having easy but strict rules, training for new submitters and reviewers, less things to submit, earn submission rights by reviewing):

• The system has to find out for itself when there are not enough wayspots in an area. it should promote these areas and let people go there to actively submit things. These submissions would be fast-tracked.
    • First in, First out. It cannot be that 25 people vote on a submission, then this submission goes into hibernation and others just pass it by.
    • No more upgrades.
    • Giving people an incentive to actively review - Daily TASKS (i.e. make 25 reviews, earn this in game XY)
    • just get rid of the system that people from HERE only can review THERE. The System has to distribute things better
    • remove the 3 star system with something easier
    • remove the text-review. does Text need to have 5 different stars? either a text is suitable or not
    • remove the 2nd option (in germany it is "Optisch einzigartig".)
    • the first option is "historic or cultural" - **** this question, either a wayspot is suitable or not. a playground doesnt have historical value, and everone 3*s this.
    • The Optional category to select a Category is something that everyone hates and noone fills out. just remove this.
    • i dont want to scroll. just put everything more compact
    • let the system find out duplicates on its own
    • have people pre-filter the system with a different UI. Myself and others easily can filter out with quick-swipe if there are photos with unsuitable images or things that are in your living room or underpants.
    • have the system pre-filter those pesky watermarks
    • give the pre-filter people the ability to just block out those submitters that submit trash
    • do not let duplicate submissions block them out each other - they have to be fast tracked!
    • have s2-cell grind in the map, basicly niantic can add all the things that wayfarer+ has.
    • also niantic needs to have a team for wayfarer that only works on wayfarer.
    • no more cooldowns. people that are educated and moviated can review in 5 seconds. Also due to the fact that things are pre-filtered, there will be much less bad noms.
  • Mormegil71-INGMormegil71-ING Posts: 202 ✭✭✭

I'd like a free bonus and/or home location move.

• PoMaQue-PGOPoMaQue-PGO Posts: 252 ✭✭✭✭

"False rejections" is hard to claim on Trail Markers, since people do not agree on what a valid Trail Marker is. Some people think a flimsy arrow without any information is enough - for me it needs the trail's name, evidence of the location and not be a node point.

"Natural feature" oh lord no, we already get enough flowers, trees, bushes, ... to review

• WikiBlue-INGWikiBlue-ING Posts: 73 ✭✭✭

Why don't you like all those 'Historical and unique' community trees? Don't you know that all trees are 100 years old... (ok: they are very tiny and their tree trunk is only a couple of centimeters wide and their location is in a front yard of a place where alot of trainers play with many accounts and the other stops are at least 50m away)

Just saw one pass by that was "Old tree", both title and Supporting info. 😶

Oh! I almost forgot.

I want Niantic to rework the system that it uses for sending rejection email so that the results are actually useful to the submitter. I'm pretty sure there's not currently a rejection that boils down to "your candidate just didn't get enough stars to pass", but instead Wayfarer goes hunting around for some field where the candidate got a low star rating and includes that in the rejection email. (I'm also pretty sure this is why people incorrectly believe that a 1/2* rating in any category is a rejection of the whole submission.)

Telling submitters something like, "Reviewers did not rate this highly enough for it to be accepted" would be far more useful. And only include the top 1* rejection reason rather than the one that only one person selected... that would remove most of the "wrong rejection reason!" drama.

• AisforAndis-INGAisforAndis-ING Posts: 1,071 Ambassador

I'm also pretty sure this is why people incorrectly believe that a 1/2* rating in any category is a rejection of the whole submission.

@NianticCasey-ING @NianticGiffard Can you please dispel this horrible lie that @Hosette-ING continues to spread?

There is a reason that people get rejections for "not visually unique" and "not culturally significant", and people who dont understand how the system works, constantly spread misinformation, and then claim they have "secret contacts" with Niantic due to their leadership position on Facebook damages how the entire wayfarer system functions.

The sanctioned misinformation needs to end.

@AisforAndis-ING That's exactly what I asked for in my last comment. (-: Niantic is providing misinformation by sending rejection reasons that aren't actually why the candidate got rejected, which leads to misunderstanding like the notion that a candidate that scores 5* 5* 5* 1* 5* 5* will be rejected.

• attwmattwm-PGOattwmattwm-PGO Posts: 17 ✭✭

Skillful reviewers can change bonus location freely during the event.

That should be fun.

• Aeryle88-PGOAeryle88-PGO Posts: 440 ✭✭✭

Niantic clairly said that we don't need trail name to validate a trail marker. According to Niantic, every Trail Marker should be eligible.

For natural feature, the "permanent" criteria is threre to not allow flowers. But i think absurd to not allow natural features. Many places in natural area could be great points of Interest. But the system is nosign = rejection (and sometimes even with a sign it's a rejection). It's just absurd.

Niantic games should not be reserved to cities.

• jokeinsurance-PGOjokeinsurance-PGO Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

Similar to the Nominations list, I would like to see:

• A list of our edits to waypoints (name, description, location, photo) similar to the waypoint submission list.

When submitting a waypoint, I would like to see:

• A spelling, grammar, and punctuation interface when submitting waypoints.

When voting via a mobile device, I would like to see:

• The timer

• The notification if another waypoint is less than 20m away

• Cells imposed on the map

When voting via a laptop/computer, I would like to see:

When submitting a Pokestop via PoGo, I would like to see:

And for waypoint criteria, I would like to see these even though they might be unpopular:

• Neighborhood signs as acceptable POI

• Directional trail signs as acceptable POI. Example: https://i.imgur.com/FjwT432.jpg

Do you believe every large tree or rock should become a Wayspot? Because that's what people are nominating at the moment.

Having a named trail allows you to confirm this is actually a trail, not a random path. Named trails are referenced on tourism websites etc. Nowadays, people can just create a simple wooden arrow, state it's a trail and expect people to approve it.

If you cannot provide a name or prove it is an official trail, and not just the alley behind your house, I'll reject it.

• Ragnar1O1-PGORagnar1O1-PGO Posts: 40 ✭✭
    1. Fix the current system with a massive upgrade on the anniversary.
    2. Get more reviewers. Have a seven day get double points for agreements party.
    3. Make people want to stay and keep reviewing. Scaring them off with a four day ban doesn't help at all.
  • LukeAllStars-INGLukeAllStars-ING Posts: 4,625 Ambassador

Id love to see Niantic giving stage to the community. What I always thought of was a "Meet the community/wayfarers" where every interested Wayfarer (especially those who run the system with their daily input) get a few seconds to tell a story or jus simply their positive experiences with Wayfarer. Also, an idea for this would be a "whats your favourite nomination you made?", simply talking about the discovery and showing some cool POIs all over the world. Ssonerhing like this might show hiw great Wayfarer can be.

• Gendgi-PGOGendgi-PGO Posts: 3,522 Ambassador

Ingress had a "post your favorite Portal" a year or so ago. Something like "share your favorite nomination" would be really fun.