Can someone help me understand why I was suspended?

Very vague email. I did try to influence some location edits before they changed the location edit stuff but only to get legit edits in (really need to have supporting statement for edits) but that was almost a year or so ago. Is the abuse system that backlogged? Or does quoting the guidelines that are newer (mainly the "social hangout" for food places) on waypoint submissions in the supporting statements get this? Any advice??? Also, I'm not new. I have over 500 submissions and most are approved. I go for quality.

Comments

• WheelTrekker-INGWheelTrekker-ING Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, they are sending bans for edits proposed months/years ago.

• TheZodiac007-PGOTheZodiac007-PGO Posts: 860 ✭✭✭✭✭

For some reason I like that they’re doing this but at the same time I hate it as well. Wish you could appeal it @stlarry-PGO. It is easy for anyone to say that anything is abuse. Especially if while reviewing you come across a submission from an area that you could know & not like the person. It could be a way to bully others. I just hope that this doesn’t happen. Hopefully Niantic has the time to check noms to make sure that there is no abuse & not just send this out to every nom that gets voted for it. I have a bad feeling.

• PkmnTrainerJ-INGPkmnTrainerJ-ING Posts: 5,127 Ambassador

Edits are that backed up. I have some from years ago that haven’t been reviewed.

• TheFarix-PGOTheFarix-PGO Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is no "statute of limitations" for edit abuse, which you admitted to in your opening post. Niantic clearly doesn't want reviewers to be influence in any way when it comes to selecting the correct location.

• Belahzur-INGBelahzur-ING Posts: 632 ✭✭✭✭✭

There you go then, that's why your Wayfarer is banned, that's your answer like it or not, doesn't matter, see you in 30 days :)

• Raachermannl-INGRaachermannl-ING Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭✭✭

very much justified?

Niantic is unable to ban fakers even after 5 appeals of multiple fakes at a fakers home location. But for minor stuff like this they even drop step one of their own strike policy. Evrthing what happens here is simply incompetence, and the supporting statement for edits is highly needed.

• Roli112-PGORoli112-PGO Posts: 2,236 Ambassador

Just because other abuse goes unpunished doesn't mean this abuse shouldn't. Yes, it was much justified.

• aleprj-INGaleprj-ING Posts: 565 ✭✭✭✭✭

It may be highly needed, but it does not exist. Misusing the description field is an abuse.

you are using verb-version of JUSTICE here .....

It may be abuse, since it is mentioned in wayfarer criteria as potential abuse (although it is in the totally wrong category far away from the subsections about edits). So it may be reasoned. This is an adequate word for that, but by far it's not reason enough to skip the 1st step of the strike policy. This is by far not justice.

Justice would include hard actions against fakers, and differentiated actions in cases like this here:

If the supporting-statement-abuse trolls the reviewers, isn't honest, tries to destroy location accuracy or text correctness etc.pp., then it may be worth a strike. If the supporting-statement-abuse is honest, only helpful for the reviewers, nothing is obscured in that case, then the thing should be handled with a simple mail, that mentions the example and informs, that such edits are considered to be abuse and should be omitted in the future.

But what do we have now?

• mail, that doesnt even cover the type of "crime", that is the reason. The first paragraph, that includes the "accusation", speaks only about nominations. So it's totally misleading.
    • the ban is an wayfarer ban. They tell you to re-review the criteria, that are hidden behind the wayfarer login, that they block for this ban. Srsly? Where is the logic?
    • Niantic tells you, that the reason for the ban are nominations (and edits), but the ability to submit nominations and edits is not affected by the ban. Where is the logic?

• there are now automated deletions of multiple edits of single portals now. This includes photo edits. I got a text edit and 2 photo submissions rejected simultaneously. That doesn't make sense, since this is not reviewed simultaneously. This is simply a stupid idea ....
    • Niantic didn't even find the big fishes. I know towns, where people did hundreds of edits of that style, including reverse psychology and lots of other tricks.... after seeing, how Niantic acts here, I would never snitch them. Niantics actions here are disgusting.
  • Roli112-PGORoli112-PGO Posts: 2,236 Ambassador

Go ahead yell at clouds, I'm not reading a wall of text as its clear this was abuse and I have zero issues with the way Niantic handled it.

edited July 2021

I'm glad that you are on the other side of the ocean as well 👌

That statement is simply poor.

• JoCze-PGOJoCze-PGO Posts: 54 ✭✭✭

But basically, he is right.

Sure, Niantic has clear rules about this and they can do whatever they want, but lets not exaggerate this violation at this insane level!

I mean, come on, it is a joke that Niantic did not implement a way to make an edit more clear (Why not simply give the opportunity to submit a supporting photo?). In many regions, the only possibility to let the reviewers not completely in the dark, would be a photosphere. The problem is that a lot of people do not know how to make them or do not have phones that are able to make them. So there is NO way, they can clarify their point. I can completely understand, why people rely on such a violation in these cases.

I would also make a huge difference between people, who are just trying to make the better version appear and people, who try to manipulate the reviewers to pick the false version.

So: Yes, you should not do that. But also yes, Niantic should address this issue by implementing a better solution. And HELL NO, Niantic should NOT distribute 30 days bans AND A STRIKE. I mean, what the hell?

How can someone believe that this is an appropriate punishment for such a marginal violation? (Assuming the author is not lying about his positive intentions). This is like a prison sentence for false parking.

• AgentX1976-INGAgentX1976-ING Posts: 598 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree there should be a better system. Supporting info would be nice for edits. I think some reviewers like to jump to the Abuse call way too often. Abuse for me is something truly egregious. I think I've only used it a few times.

Hopefully it does not hamper your enthusiasm for reviewing and you come back stronger. Sounds like you know what you did was a mistake in your early days and haven't done it in a while. I'm sorry your older edits are causing issues now.

• WheelTrekker-INGWheelTrekker-ING Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

The current system doesn't make any sense.

In theory, What's the goal of these penalties?

• To change the actions of the reviewers that abuse the system.

Does it works?

• No.

Why not?

1. The OP hasn't tried to send edit descriptions for months. So he can't stop doing what he isn't doing.
    2. Niantic hasn't told him even one single case about what he did wrong. So for people that aren't aware and that they see every day edit proposals with texts suggesting to pick one location might not realize that this is considered abuse. Telling him: "This one edit that you sent breaks the rules" doesn't allow people "to learn how to avoid being detected" because you're not telling them how they have been flagged, you're telling them only that this is not allowed

Reading through the forum is really scary that some people are reporting as abuse and requesting actions against people for anything that they dislike (you know that I'm not talking about abuse clusters), and if any of those reports are accepted by Niantic, then the nominator and maybe even some reviewers might get hit with a ban without any clue about what they did wrong.

Telling the people WHAT they did wrong doesn't allow abusers to prevent detection, as long as Niantic doesn't tell HOW they have been detected.