Homemade trail markers

Kuleisbjorn-PGOKuleisbjorn-PGO Posts: 112 ✭✭✭
edited July 2021 in Criteria Clarifications

There are a lot of hand-/homemade trail markers in the forests and mountains where I live, because the government has focused on the coastline.

I see a lot of different opinions even after the November 2020 AMA, and I've gotten a lot of my nominations of the simpler trail markers rejected, even though they're official and put up by the government.

I have orienteering as a hobby and voulenteer at the local club, so I'm passionate about encouraging people to explore nature. However I would like to hear your opinions on these kinds of markers before I nominate or upgrade them.

I appreciate the work people put into these, because it can be hard to explore the woods and mountains, and lots of new people are outside now after the pandemic hit the world.

Anyway, appreciate all your input!

Post edited by Kuleisbjorn-PGO on

Comments

• AScarletSabre-PGOAScarletSabre-PGO Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭

I personally like them. The argument against (and maybe this is naïve) is "what's stopping just any person from putting something up and calling it a trail marker?" With a good write up and web links to supplemental information, I'd be inclined to accept such markers put up by local clubs (assuming they had permission). I imagine these will be a hard thing to convince reviewers, especially considering the really short attention spans a lot of reviewers appear to have. I'm all for more exploration and people actually getting out of their vehicles!

• NorthSeaPoet-INGNorthSeaPoet-ING Posts: 895 ✭✭✭✭✭

Based on the names on the marker, I'm going to assume that these are in Norway. If it's anything like trail markers in the UK, I imagine these will struggle to be approved without a ton of supporting evidence to show they're part of a genuine trail rather that something someone has quickly put together to make a new wayspot. Also, looking at the photos you've provided, reviews *might* reject these for being temporary/seasonal, so evidence that they're permanent fixtures as well would help in that regard.

• Losifer026-INGLosifer026-ING Posts: 204 ✭✭✭✭

It may help to submit them to google maps and upload a pic for them. A trail is a legitimate thing and it would help people who don’t play the games know where the markers are, where they are, and where they’re going. You’ll probably also want to make photospheres. That helps the team at google verify; and it’ll help reviewers. Awesome that you’re working to make your area a better place for people to enjoy.

• Zenn-INGZenn-ING Posts: 5 ✭✭

What media are you making these signs with? It looks like chalk from the photo... Or oil pastels? If I was reviewing these I would wonder how long they would last.

• Eneeoh-PGOEneeoh-PGO Posts: 748 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s exterior paint on weathered timber, unless I miss my guess.

• Kuleisbjorn-PGOKuleisbjorn-PGO Posts: 112 ✭✭✭

Exterior paint on old timber/wooden planks, as @Eneeoh-PGO said.

I've considered making signs that are a bit more ornate or professional looking if I want to turn them into wayspots. There are a lot of wonderful viewpoints and hill summits that could do with some information and trail markers to lead the way, and there are old gravesites (from the bronze age) and ruins with no information signs at the site, which is a real shame. Been thinking about contacting the local history club to maybe work out something together.

Anyway, thanks for all the input!