[Suggestion] Incorporate AR scans into nominations & reviews workflow

KOWLOONsGT-INGKOWLOONsGT-ING Posts: 186 ✭✭✭

https://community.wayfarer.nianticlabs.com/discussion/20209/scan-interior-of-wayspot

Benefits of incorporating AR scans into your Wayfarer workflow

1) only a large amount of information than the pictures

2) More detailed information can be obtained by using it together with Street View at the time of review.

3) Since GPS information cannot be corrected, fraud and abuse are reduced.

4) Useful for future AR mapping

5) Other

Problems with incorporating AR scans into Wayfarer workflows

a) Some mobile phones do not support

b) upload error occurs frequently (stressful and not be able to nominations)

c) Is the server overwhelmed?

d) Other

But, I want you to prioritize the resolution of your proposed "biggest problem" in the post below.

https://community.wayfarer.nianticlabs.com/discussion/20018/what-are-your-three-top-issues-for-wayfarer

Comments

• LukeAllStars-INGLukeAllStars-ING Posts: 4,625 Ambassador

The biggest problem would be that I would not do it on Ingress since I only submit from home in front of my PC to make sure I dont waste any nominations. You cant do any AR Mapping there. Also, PGO keeps on crashing while submitting. Nice idea but too many negative aspects.

• KOWLOONsGT-INGKOWLOONsGT-ING Posts: 186 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2021

@LukeAllStars-ING

You're right.

e) It advantage of nominations will be lost in Ingress.

I would like Niantic's technical capabilities to somehow solve the problem.

Post edited by KOWLOONsGT-ING on
  • Gazzas89-PGOGazzas89-PGO Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

If this idea was to be implemented, it would need to be optional, if it was required a lot of things couldn't be submitted due to things like safety or access (from one side) or even just size. But, if it was optional, it could be useful as there are pois that can't be seen kn maps

• tp235-INGtp235-ING Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭✭✭

It may be a good idea in 10 years, but in the present and near future, it is a bad idea.

There are only a few smartphones in the world today that can do AR scanning.

I know you are using an iPhone, but there are only a few countries like you and I live in Japan, where most people have the income to afford an iPhone or Galaxy S series.

And the same goes for countries where high-speed communication is available.

So I don't think this is going to work out well for Niantic.

• Raachermannl-INGRaachermannl-ING Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dunno where youa re from, but here at my region there is stil a problem with image uploading within normal submissions, so there is already very often an timout error while submitting.

AR scans have their own bunch of bugs. Uploading later nearly never works for me. Shiny Galarian-Ponyta hunt was a pain in the a....

I would drop the whole system, if AR scans would be a necessary part of the submission process.