Welcome to the Bug Reporting page! Please refer to these tips when submitting new bug reports:
1. Browse the known issues section or check if another user previously posted about a similar issue.
2. Upvoting posts help us understand how many players are experiencing the bug.
3. Refer to the Best Practices to learn how to write a bug report.
4. File each issue separately if you’ve encountered multiple issues.

Infinite yield of honey pots

Cdk296-PGOCdk296-PGO Posts: 170 ✭✭✭
edited July 2021 in Report a Bug

Hi.

I did not do any reviews during the last two weeks or so.

I just connected to do some reviews, and since this morning wayfarer only shows me honeypot, with sometimes an edit to review in between, and I have seen only 2 real propositions.

I did already 30 of them. Why is the system is keeping testing me ?

1 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• TheFarix-PGOTheFarix-PGO Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021

What makes you think they are "honypots"? A "honypot" will not be obvious from other nominations, but Niantic has stated that the outcomes of these pre-reviewed nominations should be obvious.

• Cdk296-PGOCdk296-PGO Posts: 170 ✭✭✭

They are, it is the propositions when you have to select the category of the object reviewed. They are not pre-reviewed but taken from the database, and sometimes the outcomes are not obvious (I ignored some of them), since people may have vote using differents guidelines long ago. Or just badly.

• SlicedPeas-INGSlicedPeas-ING Posts: 336 ✭✭✭✭

Well that's a new ridiculous rumor. The more likely reason you have to confirm the what is it part is that submitter added a what is it category.

Having to choose between three options has been around for a very long time. These are randomly triggered on the backend and the choices are based on keywords in the title and description. But it is not an indication that the nomination is a "honeypot". There would not be any indications that a particular nomination is a "honeypot" because that would defeat the purpose of having a "honeypot" in the system.

edited July 2021

They are. There is no already pre-reviewed propositions by Niantic world-wide, they could not pre-reviewed this amount in all countries. Also, try to reply badly at this propositions and you will trigger a four day ban. Finally i am sure of this, since France is not such a big country, I have seen propositions that I have already validated/rejected in the past with this three mandatories choice. Sometimes they even loop.

This is the bug section to the forum, I am not interrested in your founded or non-founded opinion in particular on what are honeypots, especially the opinion of one person that spammed others topics (the one of the 4 days ban for example) to contest the existence of something that was indeed a bug corrected by the update of the back-end.

I am reporting a strange behavior, in case developers of the back-end have introduced change about the testing of reviewer /trust algorithm / back-end recently.

Maybe they also introduced a mandatory choice to more propositions. In case I would be curious to hear about it too.

• Roli112-PGORoli112-PGO Posts: 2,230 Ambassador

Those are not honeypots. No bugs here, working as intended.

• Nadiwereb-PGONadiwereb-PGO Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

What do you have that backs your claim up? I, for one, have actually reviewed nominations where the "what is it" section was required and they showed up in-game a few days later.

• WheelTrekker-INGWheelTrekker-ING Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that the first issue here is "What is a honeypot?"

It would seem that the OP has either a different view about what is a Honeypot in wayfarer, or he has inside knowledge that the rest of the people isn't aware of about how Honeypots work here.

So @Cdk296-PGO What's a honeypot for you? What happens when a person reviews a honeypot?

edited July 2021

Did you read the message above?

- I run some test in the past, if you reply badly you are ban four days on this propositions only

- They shows up usually when you start to review too fast or has mass rejection behavior/broad acceptance behavior (typically lot of junk or lot of review of pictures).

- Ignoring one of them and you will have an other of this proposition like this soon after.

- Sometimes they appear several times

- It can be propositions I have already reviewed in the past

- The amelioration towards the next upgrade is not affected by this propositions.

Once I realized lt I though they were obvious but apparently I was wrong.

It is not hard to got good propositions not in the game : the ones accepted but not integrated because of the 20 meters rule for example. The ones refused are not that bad to collect either.

Also, about what you said lastly : why the fact that the propositions appeared in the game would not make it a honey pot?

Also, never considered looking at the ingress intel map while reviewing this type of propositions? Some are actually already in the game.

I consider this type of mandatories information :

As the marker of a honeypot. Succeeding the honeypot you can continue reviewing. One (or two) failure and you got a nice four-day ban. This propositions shows-up based on how you are reviewing (fast, acceptance or mass rejection), regularly and also appeared several time. I mean there is garbage reviews or cool propositions that I have already seen in the past coming back in this form of proposition with "mandatory indication". And I mean the same exact proposition, not a reproposition.

Sorry, but I still can't see any facts here, only speculation and a (quite elaborate, I must add) conspiracy theory. Nominations like this have been showing up for me quite regularly for a while now, regardless of how I review. Also, I've never received any four-day bans.

My own nomination has had "what is it" required. How is that not a real nomination when I made it myself? Not a honeypot.

edited July 2021

Yes, but honeypot are drawn from the database, as I said earlier.

Every honeypot is or was a real nomination. Also, consider that in non anglophone countries the process of selected honeypots is differents.

@Nadiwereb-PGO well your message is as stupid as insulting. It is facts. You may want proofs to support the facts, but, honestly, I did not collect recording and I will not do, especially for someone so stubborn that will not change is opinion anyway. Oh and again, it is not the point of the topics.

Anyway, I asked to the local reviewers and they have a lot of this mandatory tagging now, so looks like it is normal. WheelTrekker-ING thanks for the only usefull comment. For the other hijackers, just looking at your submissions to indicate that there is an erase in such type of propositions would have been more usefull.

Post edited by Cdk296-PGO on

Yes but my nomination was not held up any longer than any other nomination, hence it was being reviewed as a normal "real" nomination.

Okay, I'll take this seriously, even though I really doubt your claim that all nominations that require you to fill in the "What is it" question are honeypots. When asked what you base this upon, your answer is mostly "just because", with some condescension and rudeness sprinkled on top.

Most of your claims are very hard to test, so I'd like some more insight into your methods and how you came to these conclusions.

if you reply badly you are ban four days on this propositions only

How do you know that? What is the link between them? How did you conlcude that it's specifically these reviews that triggered the ban? (Also, how do you know that you "replied badly" on them? Did you deliberately make a bad review or just assumed that after you got the ban?)

they  shows up usually when you start to review too fast or has mass rejection behavior/broad acceptance behavior

Normally I very rarely get cooldowns (3 ever), and I don't review too fast. Based on your claim, if I have a few (how many? 5? 10?) rejections in a row, I should get a "honeypot" like this. Correct? Also, I just logged in and my first 3 reviews were all "honeypots" according to your theory. How do you explain that?

Ignoring one of them and you will have an other of this proposition like this soon after.

So? What does this prove? You will get these fairly regularly anyway in my experience, you don't need to ignore (skip?) one to get another. I think this point needs more elaboration to make sense.

Sometimes they appear several times

It can be propositions I have already reviewed in the past

You mentioned this one elsewhere as well: the exact same nomination comng back, and not the same thing renominated. How do you know that? How do you know that it's not the same person using the same photos and the same title/description? I know people who have tried to get the same thing accepted 10+ times. This phenomenon can easily be explained without bringing honeypots into the equation.

The amelioration towards the next upgrade is not affected by this propositions.

This is an interestig one, and if you could prove this, it could actually be evidence that you're on to something. How did you come to this conclusion? How do you know that you got an agreement from one of these and it didn't count towards an upgrade?

[responding to my argument that I reviewed several such nominations which appeared in-game a few days later]

why the fact that the propositions appeared in the game would not make it a honey pot?

Because in order to function as a honeypot, it has to be pre-reviewed. And Niantic pre-reviewing a nomination, using it once and proceeding to add it to the games in the normal way makes no sense. It would be a complete waste of time and resources.

Also, never considered looking at the ingress intel map while reviewing this type of propositions? Some are actually already in the game.

Now that could be some actual evidence that the nomination in question is a honeypot. Luckily, it's the easiest one to prove. Just provide screenshots of the nomination and the existing Wayspot being the same. (Warning: recently there was a bug that caused lots of existing Wayspots going into voting again. It was addressed on this forum and it has since been fixed. So cases from the second half of May do not count as evidence here.)

agree with most of your responses but wanted to add to the last point. Its possible for you to be reviewing something at the same time it gets accepted (and being able to see it on the intel map). I asked for feedback on reviewing a nomination and the person who submitted replied saying "oh i just got the acceptance email right now". I was not done reviewing and decided to accept it since that would be an agreement (i hope).