Law Courts

Are law courts eligible if not a historic building? I tried to look up if this has been asked before but I just got pages of tennis courts. Thanks

Comments

• Jtronmoore-PGOJtronmoore-PGO Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m pretty sure court of law used to be eligible for sure. They are places to gather and to learn about things in the community. Not sure how they would fit in todays criteria but personally havent had an issue submitting them

• JSteve0-INGJSteve0-ING Posts: 516 ✭✭✭✭

They are borderline as they are more socially and culturally relevant than an administrative office, but not truly a gathering location.

• mimi6742-PGOmimi6742-PGO Posts: 5 ✭✭

In fact, there is very few POI about the court building. However, if there is a monument there, it often live.

• oscarc1-INGoscarc1-ING Posts: 366 ✭✭✭✭✭

Having worked in the courts for a number of years, I would say no for them just being courts. Many courts will be historical buildings or buildings with great architecture, and they could be eligible on those grounds. Otherwise they are just formal administrative buildings (old or new) and as such they shouldn't be considered differently to any other businesss.

A lot of the modern ones will look contemporary and bland, but a lot of the older ones will be filled with history. In fact, the Supreme Court I used to work at had a beautiful library at its heart filled with riches of knowledge, grandiose architecture and beautiful memorials and statues to past Justice's - those objects would be eligible. So you may find interesting things inside the court itself to nominate.

Also you may want to consider security, we were pretty strict with access and suspicious of loiterers, so if you do submit one, please be considerate of where on the building you submit it.

• AScarletSabre-PGOAScarletSabre-PGO Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021

I've had a courthouse accepted. Do bear in mind though, my nomination was deemed to have historic value by the relevant authorities. Without more information we cannot say for certain whether the law courts you wish to nominate will be eligible.

I personally see law courts as something to be taken on a case by case basis rather than automatically accept or reject them. If what you wanting to nominate is primarily used as a "family court" (e.g. as a place where child custody disputes are settled) then I'd urge on the side of caution. If the law courts in question are used for a variety of different purposes and have been deemed to have some kind of local historical value (be it either the building itself or a noteworthy historical trial held there) or something else which makes them unique, such as piece of art, then I could see accepting.

• TheZodiac007-PGOTheZodiac007-PGO Posts: 860 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like @AScarletSabre-PGO said, If courthouse is historical, it’s 100% acceptable. I agree with everything that was said 100%. If it’s older than 50 years old it can be considered historical. It just depends on whether or not the community considers it. A link with proof in supporting info will help reviewers. Most historical places always mention being historical on a county website, their own website, etc