How to counter a ridiculous "it's seasonal" claim?

So, the other week I tried to nominate these wooden statues:

I was greeted with an unexpected "it's seasonal" rejection reason, but that's absolutely ridiculous because those wooden statues have been there for decades, and they don't even look that easy to move.

And no, the building behind them isn't a house, it's a renowned shop which sells wooden things (the statues are theirs, in fact). At least, reviewers seemed to understand this, as the only rejection reason listed was "it's seasonal".

I'm particularly pissed because I had to waste an automatic upgrade on this, so anyway, do you have any suggestions on how I should tell people that those statues are permanent? I'd be tempted to go there once a month for a year and take 12 photos, and then put a montage of them as secondary photo but that would be probably poor manner.

(note that they probably wouldn't appear in game anyway since they're right next to the existing city hall POI, but I'm not one who does nominations to rig the game, I actually try to nominate good things to showcase like we're intended to)

Comments

• patsufredo-PGOpatsufredo-PGO Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭✭✭

Without more context, it's really hard to judge if it's a seasonal display or not.

What did you write in both description amd supporting information?

• nineko84-PGOnineko84-PGO Posts: 47 ✭✭
    edited July 2021

I'll admit I didn't write much into the supporting information, I don't like to write too much because I always fear that reviewers would see that as an attempt to sway them, and since I was sure that this would be an easy approval, I only wrote (the Italian equivalent of) "nice wooden statues, safe access because of the sidewalk, and the building behind isn't a house".

I know I should have written more, but I never had to counter a "seasonal" claim so I'm not sure what is the best thing to write, which is why I'm here asking for suggestions which could be useful without being interpreted as an attempt to sway the reviewers.

Maybe the upgrade was part of the problem, too. Since this is quite north in Italy I guess it appeared in the queues of people who can't speak Italian (like I often see French and German submissions). I didn't want to use an upgrade but I had one available so it was automatically applied. Now I don't have upgrades (and I'm at like 12%) so I hope that local reviewers will do a more accurate evaluation the next time.

• WheelTrekker-INGWheelTrekker-ING Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭✭✭

For starters, write your supporting info in the same way that you've done here.

First add a nice description, something like Wooden statues in front of the ... shop/atelier/whatever that have been decorating the streets for over X years

in the supporting info point that they are visible in past street view years (I hope that this is correct) and other additional info that you've provided here, but always in a positive way: "the building isn't a house" -> "in front of the renowned shop X",

And of course, if you think that they are too close to another wayspot, measure the distance with the Intel map, if it's less than 20 meters don't bother with this nomination because it won't show up in any game. If there's another game in the future that allows wayspots closer than 20 meters then you can nominate it at that moment.

Thanks for the suggestions, I might try again tomorrow or so.

Now to address some of your points: yes, it *is* a decoration set up by the wood shop, but I assure you, it's not going anywhere anytime soon, it's been there for at least a decade as far as I can remember, and yes, it does show up in street view.

I can't check its position on the intel map because I don't Ingress, but yeah, it's between the city hall and the public library, and I do feel it might be too close to either of them. Still, a POI is a POI, we're not doing this for the game (even though more pokestops are nice to have), we're doing this to help Niantic create a POI database and I would like to nominate this again at least once nonetheless.

Besides, I don't like to see red marks in my wayfarer submission list, so it's kind of personal now, I want to see it green.

If you don't look at the intel map you don't know if a candidate has already been approved.

And if it's within 20 meters of another wayspot, it might be approved several times as the don't (usually) show in the wayfarer map.

I'm not sure if that's true, I happened to review submissions that other people made in places where I play, and when I had to look for duplicates on the wayfarer map, there were several POIs which aren't seen in game.

That's exactly what I've described. In the wayfarer map you can see the wayspots that are in the Intel map, so those that you don't see in the game, are visible there.

Besides that, if a wayspots is approved but it's closer than 20 meters to another existing one, then usually it doesn't show in any game nor the wayfarer map, although recently there have been some cases where this didn't apply for some days.

Don't be afraid of the words "intel map", most of the people that use it are pokemon players that have created a level one account in order to access it.

• TheZodiac007-PGOTheZodiac007-PGO Posts: 860 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Roli112-PGO Completely true. Makes sense because overtime a numbered year becomes incorrect while the year itself does not

• MargariteDVille-INGMargariteDVille-ING Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think this was scored as seasonal - I think people were saying it's movable. (Reviewers see the rejection reason as "Temporary or seasonal".) For example, an 8x11 picture at a restaurant can easily be moved - Even if it hasn't been moved in years, it COULD be moved on a whim, so could fairly be marked "temporary". For this nomination, your supporting information should say it's heavy and permanent (if that's true).

"Safe access because of sidewalk" doesn't add anything to how it meets criteria. Even if the sidewalk is not on satellite or streetview, it should be in your supporting photo. Don't water down your message with words that bore the reviewer into skipping your words.