Allow monthly changes to Bonus Location

itamernz-INGitamernz-ING Posts: 51 ✭✭✭

I'm guessing the limits to change Bonus Location are to stop people gaming the system to get upgrades rather than any technical or practical issue.

However... there are small locations that need help, but couldn't sustain a whole year of reviewing. No matter how well-meaning people are, they just aren't going to change their BL to that area because they're relying on upgrades to make their efforts count.

If we could allow more frequent changes - monthly? - it would help people be generous to those asking for help.

If there needs to be a cost to changing - maybe spend an upgrade unlocking the change feature?

Comments

• TrevorAlan-PGOTrevorAlan-PGO Posts: 998 ✭✭✭✭✭

1 month may not be great, so maybe quarterly or 6mo. I'm personally okay with the 12mo since it just means if I change it when I move to a new place (usually a different state or another part of a current state) I can at least make sure that I have stuff from where I currently live.

The shorter the time period the more chance for abuse of the mechanic, but I can see how 12mo is a little long to be stuck if you just wanted to help out a remote area and then are stuck with that remote area for a whole year.

• aleprj-INGaleprj-ING Posts: 565 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm guessing the limits to change Bonus Location are to stop people gaming the system to get upgrades rather than any technical or practical issue.

Actually, it doesn't make a lot of sense IMO. If by "gaming the system to get upgrades" you mean being able to review a lot, all you have to do is to set your bonus location to one of the largest cities in the world. You won't be able to empty their queue, so you won't need to change it.

I don't know why this restriction is in place, but there must be some kind of abuse I'm not aware of.

• SlicedPeas-INGSlicedPeas-ING Posts: 336 ✭✭✭✭

Voting cabals who collaborate on how to vote on submissions. Monthly changes would allow say a dozen people to take turns each month voting the others submissions up.

That said, I think six months is reasonable and not nearly so likely to abuse.

• GearGlider-INGGearGlider-ING Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe have it tied to number of agreements to the area. Like once you set your bonus location, you need X agreements from the area for it to reset. Otherwise, it'll reset after a year (or less time) like normal.

• WittawatTae-PGOWittawatTae-PGO Posts: 24 ✭✭

I agree with quaterly change, but with requirement like you need to reach X amount of agreements to gain ability to change, otherwise it remains annually limited.

I use Reviewing as a way to see the world through the eyes of local peoples.

• LethalCherryGal-PGOLethalCherryGal-PGO Posts: 2 ✭✭

May be give us a chance to change bonus location every 3 months to location listed that need more reviewers. But after a year without changing we can freely choose new location.

• BlaueReiter-INGBlaueReiter-ING Posts: 6 ✭✭

Sounds nice, but believe me, I changed my bonus location to help an area, in 12 months I only reviewed 57 wayspots from that area. I couldn't get more since there were no more wayspots in their queue. I haven't changed it yet since I fear if I change it to another area the same could happen, and although I have enough wayspots to review from my area, I really would like to help areas without a lot of reviewers, and I'm fluent in English, Spanish and French so I could help several regions across the world, but the fact that I would be stuck 1 whole year stops me.

Maybe we could set the languages that we are fluent on, and Niantic could auto-detect the language of the petition, or the language that the app had whenever the request was sent for us to be able to review areas that don't have many reviewers without having to change the bonus location.