Free Blockbuster Boxes - yay or nay?

PoMaQue-PGOPoMaQue-PGO Posts: 252 ✭✭✭✭

Just saw an article about Free Blockbuster Boxes (https://www.freeblockbuster.org/), basically Little Free Libraries, but for movies.

What do you think? Outside of the "More is always better" mentality, which doesn't care about quality, how do you think they rate on the cultural scale?

I love movies myself and think they have cultural significance, but to be honest I wouldn't be tempted to borrow a movie from there. Who knows what you'd get?

Tagged:

Comments

• sogNinjaman-INGsogNinjaman-ING Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would treat them the same as LFL, (some LFL I have seen do have DVDs already). So , good nomination but check if they are on PRP or not, don't "auto-accept" them.

• TheFarix-PGOTheFarix-PGO Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

And exactly what eligibility criterion would it meet? Just because something is "like a little free library" doesn't mean that it is eligible. Little free libraries are eligible because they are libraries and falls under places for learning, which is an extension of the exploration criterion. Would a video store fall under the same criterion? And if not, why would a miniature version of it be eligible?

• Eneeoh-PGOEneeoh-PGO Posts: 749 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is in fact a lending library, just as a dead-tree LFL is. It meets the same social and cultural benchmarks, and has the same Wayfarer cautions with regard to PRP.

I enjoy real books, yet recognize that other media and formats are significant, too.

Brick and mortar libraries have been lending all of these things for decades, already.

Unless you are a strict adherent to Alexandrian papyrus, why not give the newer stuff a try, too?

• sophielab-INGsophielab-ING Posts: 266 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021

Shockingly, you may find your local library's collection is half "media" aka movies and CD. Yes, movies have cultural significance. I'd approve them if not on prp.

Here's a list of movies to support cultural impact:

https://m.imdb.com/chart/top/

• flatmatt-PGOflatmatt-PGO Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021

A video store is more akin to a bookstore than to a library. It could be eligible, but it depends on the particular store's significance.

In this case, I'd treat it just like a little free library. The fact that the primary medium is different is not the deciding factor for me; works in video format have just as much cultural relevance as works in printed format.