Live in Wayfarer 3.1 is a new set of acceptance criteria! Please browse the information in this category with caution as it is in reference to the previous review guidelines. To learn more about the new criteria, see here: https://niantic.helpshift.com/a/wayfarer/

Local cafes/resteraunts/bars

13»

Answers

• Dazzz123456-PGODazzz123456-PGO Posts: 301 ✭✭✭

Well I'm not am I.

"Generic local businesses don’t meet criteria on their own without having historical/cultural value, community significance, or distinctive architecture."

That is the what niantic has stated this is what you are basing your argument on. Where does it say chains cant get in?

I have already said that the tesco cafe near me is the only one for miles so sees a high level of turn over. So that has met the community significant part of the criteria (the at least 1).

The store will have spent alot of money to make these cafes stand out as places to go with lots of brushed steel. So architectural it will be visually unique (this is 2 points for criteria)

And its rural.

So now why would you say it doesn't meet criteria and is any less significant than Sam's cafe?

It's your argument that has no basis.

I said if it doesnt meet a higher level of star ratings niantic themselves reject low star rated poi's.

• NorthSeaPoet-INGNorthSeaPoet-ING Posts: 895 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never said anything about it being rural, so again, you're twisting what I'm saying around to.suit your argument rather than actually reading what I said.

If it's part of a chain business, it's ineligible, afaik.

I really wish you would read things correctly. I said it was rural. strange how you pick up on one thing and try to pick a hole.

Your argument is weak. I have hit more criteria with a generic cafe in tesco than you can with an everyday cafe that we see on every high street up and down the country.

• Faversham71-PGOFaversham71-PGO Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭✭✭

High turn over does not make a place significant to the community.

Brushed steel and expensive finish does not equal distinctive architecture. (you're talking about decor not architecture, and describing hundreds of modern cafes).

I think you're wasting your submissions if you're trying to get chain cafes through, but they're your submissions. It's hard enough to get an independent cafe approved that meets the criteria.

• GearGlider-INGGearGlider-ING Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

What if the Nominator describes the Nomination as a " 'Straunt " in the Description?

Again not reading what I said I know its generic I know it wont ever get in.

I'm saying that all the points are valid. To say that high turn over doesnt meet criteria that's rubbish in a rural setting this type of cafe is a hyper busy place where locals meet. That is exactly what niantic is looking for.

I'd also ask again where does it say that chains cant get in?

All I am doing is showing how generic a cafe is. Now a tesco cafe is going to be more visually unique than any greasy spoon in the country.

If you want to change this example with mount street deli in mayfair I can.

• TheFarix-PGOTheFarix-PGO Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

I won't immediately dismiss a Tesco, but it does not strike me as a place people would go to gather in order to socialize with one another. Having "at least 2 maybe even by 300 people in a day" doesn't mean it is a gathering place.

• Gazzas89-PGOGazzas89-PGO Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dazzz12345-ING niantic themselves on multiple amas and threads here on this forum have said chains are not allowed as they are classed as generic businesses, best example being the threads about play areas in mcdonalds, in those threads they say mcdonalds is a generic business as it's a chain

Tescos yes is a chain but the coffee shop inside only has a handful of shops around the country and as it states in the guidelines something stops being generic when it starts meeting criteria which it does.

@Dazzz12345-ING if it's a one off and isnt just a tesco cafe then sure, it should be acceptable so long as you explain it lime that, but if its just a cafe in tesco, ran by tesco employees, owned by tesco, then it's a chain and is rejected as such. Or if it's a cafe that there are several more of throughout the country, then it's a chain, therefore rejectable. Chains=generic business therefore rejected as they are a straight no per niantic. Local cafes are not chains therefore are not generic businesses in that right, so if they are proven to be a local place where locals frequent that wouldnt be known outside the community, they got a criteria and dont fit a rejection criteria

• TheFarix-PGOTheFarix-PGO Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is the coffee shop a place people go to socialize with other people or is it simply a place where people get a cup of coffee and a pastry while they are shopping for groceries? What evidence do you have to support that is is a local gathering spot? As they say over at Wikipedia, exceptional claims require exceptional evidence.

And FYI, I did approve this earlier this month because I though it fit the criteria of a hidden gem. It's not a business nomination, but I bet most people rejected it simply because it was located inside a grocery store.

@TheFarix-PGO I hope that wasn't rejected because that is cool and I would have accepted right away

• ThundurBuht69-PGOThundurBuht69-PGO Posts: 5 ✭✭

@gazzas89-PGO There is a lot going on with this thread and I honestly didn't read all of it but, I want to help because even though I live in a large city it can feel like a pokestop desert where I live and many of the parks i like to visit. I think that the most important part of rural pokestops is what it means to the community and how you can use that to connect to people that are passing by as part of a cultural adventure. Its difficult especially if a building you are trying to nominate doesn't look like it meets any criteria. Your supporting information and description (not sure what it is ) should not be we need pokestops it should say something along the lines of we are a community that live in this area, here is something about us. The most complicated of pokestops are buildings. Anyone can submit a mural on a wall or a piece of art in the sidewalk. I personally dont think you are wrong in trying to submit pokestops in your area its just more challenging.

@ThundurBuht69-PGO I was arguing that so long as a cafe/bar/reareraint has been around a rural/country/village/suburban area for over a couple of decades without changing name, and can be proven as such, whilst also being used by the locals, then t shouldnt just be hit with generic business off hand and shouldnt wned something special to pass it, they are clearly important enough to the community to have been kept around, living in a suburb, I k ow f 2 cafes, within 10.minute and 30 minute walk respectively, that should fit these criteria, but due to niantic making generic business the easiest tag to use, they will never get in, despite being around for 30 and 60+years and being known to everyone in the area and used by everyone in the area, even now with the pandemic

• NVLOONY-PGONVLOONY-PGO Posts: 20 ✭✭

I believe niantic needs to clarify this. And they need to post it where all reviewers get the message. Some people say re-submit with a better description, but we don't want to be flagged for multiple attempts of what some claim is "player abuse"

@LOONY2GO-PGO his is one intruded getting through and while I shouldnt have said hyper local, other than that it should be acceptable, yet due to the generic businessnbeing poorly explained and an easy option indoubt inwill ever get it in

Just something to add to this. People arguing sayi g cafes or resteraunts need to not look generic. This is from the help page on wayfarer as an example of a local place that's popular but wouldnt be lesser known outside the community, this looks as generic as they come

• PikaMagicaela-PGOPikaMagicaela-PGO Posts: 18 ✭✭

I agree that there is a good case for popular, well-established local cafes in areas with few or no other wayspots. There is a category for cafes, so it must be possible to accept some, even if they are not top rated Michelin or anything, especially where they perform a similar social function as, say, a pub might do.

Annoyingly never got an answer for this, would have been tnice to get so e backing from niantic better explaining what could be allowed locally