IS THIS ABUSE?

This is how I type my nomination supporting information below. There is a discussion that it is considered "abuse". constructive criticism is appreciated.

Art - Sculpture: Supporting photo taken North facing south displaying stairs in foreground, dragons and pond in background. 3m North Off-set. From the Photosphere displayed, it is to the right of the Guardian Lion

Playground: Supporting photo taken West facing East with Playground in foreground and parking spots to the left (North) and houses to the right (South) No Offset, accuracy 1m

Historical Aircraft Wreck - Supporting photo taken from East facing West. Wreck is located 50M from the road entering the jungle (West of plantation) and approximately 100M towards the water. The aircraft has been moved slightly inland over the years and is no longer on the actual beach as seen in historical photos.

Athletic Field - Outdoor: Supporting photo taken North facing south. No parking marks in forefround with ssmall trail in backgroud with access walkway to the right (West) of POI, all observable in Google Maps and supporting photo. no Offset, accuracy 1m>

Comments

• patsufredo-PGOpatsufredo-PGO Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess you wrote them in supporting information to help reviewers to find the object in the Street view. However, some reviewers might see this as "influencing the reviewers".

Thank goodness they're not from Japan.

• oscarc1-INGoscarc1-ING Posts: 366 ✭✭✭✭✭

Without seeing the full context of the nominations, they sound fine. More detailed than most supporting statements I've seen haha

The only thing I question is the mentions of offsets. Are these nominations in China? Where the map is offset between 50 and 500 meteres. Or what does the offset mean? Because without seeing the nomination, it could sound like the nominations are being purposefully located off the actual object, which is why you may be seeing abuse rejections.

• TwoSkunks-PGOTwoSkunks-PGO Posts: 28 ✭✭

You sound like and engineer. Most people do not speak engineer, but it is enough like non-engineer they think they know what you mean. The distances you mention are within tolerances, but since they do not fully understand the concept of offsets, they are confused. Also, your offsets are not directly mentioned in reference to the base; is the point submitted offset from the real point, or is the photo taken from said offset.

Stating the direction you are taking the photo from is fine, but I think some may be offended by being told what they are suppose to find. In your case, less is more.

• xSorsha-INGxSorsha-ING Posts: 4 ✭✭

Who said it was abuse? I know that if you're trying to move an existing portal its considered abuse to use directional words to influence reviewers where to move the portal/stop.

• Gendgi-PGOGendgi-PGO Posts: 3,504 Ambassador

If a nomination is made where the location is misrepresented it would also be considered abuse.

• CipherBlakk-PGOCipherBlakk-PGO Posts: 309 ✭✭✭✭

I guess the only question I see here is why are you choosing to place the POI in an inaccurate location? You shouldn't be. That misrepresents the location and yeah, people could consider that abuse. Not your text specifically, but that you're not putting things where they belong. You need to locate the pin the best you can. Assuming you've done that, no nitpicky comments on the location accuracy are needed.

Also, for the purposes of clarity, things like "photo taken West facing East" is cumbersome and obnoxious. You either face east or you don't, and of course you're going to be west of whatever you're facing, if what you're facing is toward the east. So that could be cleaned up because it's going to confuse people. I wouldn't have a problem with the rest of the descriptions, assuming you're noting things that are observable on Google maps to help people orient themselves. If they're not observable on Google maps, you're not really adding anything.