How did this meet the criteria for rejection - blocking access

rufoushumming-PGOrufoushumming-PGO Posts: 86 ✭✭✭
edited September 2021 in Nomination Improvement

I have recently had a nomination rejected.

It is a building (one of many in a public sports park). It is surrounded by park. Sits 50% in a memorial garden. Has public footpaths (walking/running and cycling) on two sides. A playground 30 m away. A sports centre 30 m away.

It is a historical building. Part of a larger historical water facility.

It has been rejected twice. The reason

This nomination has been rejected due to the following reason(s):

The real-world location of the nomination appears to obstruct the driveway of emergancy services or may interfer with the operations of fire stations, police stations, hospitals, military bases, industrial sites, power plants or air traffic control towers. Nomination does not meet acceptance criteria.

So my question is this. how does it get rejected and all other nominations in the park do not. In particular those nearby?

Nomination. Below. The first photo. Shows the public footpaths. The second photo the markings indicating path usage. Sure those paths can be used for maintenance and emergency vehicles. But it is the same paths for at least 5 other accepted POIs in the park!. This is not an industrial complex. It is not a public road. The building is in a park. it sits 50% in the memorial gardens.

I do not understand why it fails and the other nominations pass when the same criteria is applied.

Help!!!! Please

Waverley Park - Waverley Water Pumping Station WPS28.

Bondi Junction NSW

NOT ACCEPTED

2021-08-04

Description

Industrial brick art deco style water pumping station set in Waverley Park. This an integral part of the historic listed Waverley Reservoir complex providing water to East Sydney. Waverley Memorial Gardens behind and the recreation centre and playing fields to the South East. Walking, jogging and cycling paths are on two sides with a BBQ 30m away. Built circa 1910.

95 Bondi Rd, Bondi Junction NSW 2022, Australia

Supplemental Information

This water pumping building is part of the heritage listed Waverly Reservoir Complex (final listing of the last reservoir in 2001). Made up of 4 reservoirs providing gravity to the eastern suburbs and mechanical pumping to Bellevue hill reservoir. It is safe to access in Waverley Park. The building, walkways and park are accessible 24/7. The surrounding walkways are used for running, biking and walking .Surrounded by grass areas, trees for shade, gardens to chill in and importantly facilities at the recreation centre. The building partly sits in the memorial gardens. This complex does not obstruct any emergency vehicle access. Bus stops near by and public parking behind Waverly Council offices.

Post edited by rufoushumming-PGO on

Comments

• CipherBlakk-PGOCipherBlakk-PGO Posts: 308 ✭✭✭✭

I also want to add kudos for having such a thorough description and supporting info. Most people don't invest the time and effort they need to, and you clearly did. Just needs to be refocused! 👍

• Ochemist-INGOchemist-ING Posts: 276 ✭✭✭✭

Agreed completely with @CipherBlakk-PGO . This is probably a good PoI as an historic building, so stress that and as many details about its history in the title and description and omit the irrelevant references to the park. A photo that really accentuates the Art Deco aspects would help. I probably would have approved this, but I understand why other reviewers might have glazed over it. Good luck!

• Ochemist-INGOchemist-ING Posts: 276 ✭✭✭✭

Although re-reading the post, I kind of understand why you included all of those details about the park as an attempt to head off the "emergency vehicle" silliness.

• rufoushumming-PGOrufoushumming-PGO Posts: 86 ✭✭✭

Thank you @Ochemist-ING and @CipherBlakk-PGO will go again. Yeah the photos. Will work on that and the text ;-)

• HaramDingo-INGHaramDingo-ING Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭

In answer to your question (and not focusing on the rest of the nomination), you should know based on your last post should that it is reviewers that can select a reject reason if they 1-star a nomination. They can often be locals all the way between Canberra to Newcastle or if the nomination is upgraded, sent off to people across the country or to those globally who have (for whatever reason) selected Sydney as their bonus location.

Some advice?

• Add a link if possible. Places such as the Ultimo Sewerage Pumping Station and Sewerage Pumping Station 3 have Wiki links. A link directory from the NSW Government's State Heritage Inventory or Sydney Water Heritage Detail will benefit immensely, but I can't seem to find any information regarding WPS28. All the four reservoirs are listed in the heritage register, but not this pumping station, so I am not inclined to approve this.
    • The description has too much irrelevant content. The first two sentences are fine, as well as the year it was built, but I crossed out below what is redundant and actually hurts the nomination. There is no reason to mention a BBQ that is 30m away. Usually when I want to emphasise that a heritage-listed building is old, I start with the year it was built, as putting it at the end of the description just makes it seem like it was just attached there.

Industrial brick art deco style water pumping station set in Waverley Park. This an integral part of the historic listed Waverley Reservoir complex providing water to East Sydney. Waverley Memorial Gardens behind and the recreation centre and playing fields to the South East. Walking, jogging and cycling paths are on two sides with a BBQ 30m away. Built circa 1910.

• The photo doesn't really do it justice. Sure, it captures the building (I do see those art deco intricacies) but yeah as someone else has said, there is overexposure and the supporting photo is very poor. At least it didn't get rejected for low quality photo?

As a side note, if you really want to ask for nomination improvement, it's not healthy to start the title blaming reviewers with a rhetorical question. Just ask for advice and improvement to get it over the line the next time.

• rufoushumming-PGOrufoushumming-PGO Posts: 86 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2021

Hope this helps @HaramDingo-ING - apologies wrong title on posting. I wanted clarity on a better nomination!!

Without being a bore.... The rejection criteria was about blocking access. I was like WTA.....

Re the photo. I struggle with its position. It sits under trees so I get either dark dark or that white blur. I will go up again and try from another angle.

Re your question on heritage listings.

I will address that. I have listings from NSW heritage and Sydney Water.. Will add links!