Live in Wayfarer 3.1 is a new set of acceptance criteria! Please browse the information in this category with caution as it is in reference to the previous review guidelines. To learn more about the new criteria, see here: https://niantic.helpshift.com/a/wayfarer/

Welfare facility for the disabled

Do disabled people's welfare facilities meet the standards? It is the headquarters of an organization that was active before being certified as a social welfare corporation, and is a workplace (manufacture and sale of sweets) for people with disabilities who have graduated from deaf school. Some argue that such places should consider people with disabilities and should be rejected as not a place to play games. On the other hand, a social welfare corporation is a non-profit organization that engages in welfare and charitable activities, and since the headquarters of the charitable organization is certified, it cannot be rejected. There is also such an opinion. I want to hear both opinions.

Answers

• NorthSeaPoet-INGNorthSeaPoet-ING Posts: 895 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think NIA clarified that a charity's HQ could be eligible if it meets criteria, whereas charity shops or donation bins don't meet criteria.

From what you're describing, it doesn't sound like a private care setting (I.E. supported living complex, or a nursing home), so I would need to see the nomination before I could definitely say if it's something I would vote to approve or reject.

• oxBluemoon-PGOoxBluemoon-PGO Posts: 40 ✭✭

It is a government-recognized facility.

• Strawps-INGStrawps-ING Posts: 11 ✭✭

Government recognized does not mean it meets criteria. DMV's here are state-run but do not meet any acceptance criteria.

I'd have to know more about the specific nomination to really say if I would accept or reject it. If it is a community gathering place in some form, it will help. Weekly chess, weekend lunches, etc. If it just the "HQ" with nothing other than an office and manufacturing, I don't see that it would pass.

• Gendgi-AmboGendgi-Ambo Posts: 2,715 Ambassador
    edited May 2020

A business I'm familiar with employs a large percentage of blind for manufacture and assembly. Outside of the building there is a lot of educational signage about the industry and the value their "disabled" employees provide. This informational signage delivers powerful and encouraging messages and highlights solutions to the process control to facilitate operations where product is crafted, tested, and inspected almost entirely by the blind. Such signage would definitely quality. I don't think the business itself would necessarily qualify on its own without strong supporting supporting information about the cultural and social significance.

On the other hand, a social welfare corporation is a non-profit organization that engages in welfare and charitable activities, and since the headquarters of the charitable organization is certified, it cannot be rejected.

Please be careful with statements like this, @FullMoonBlue-ING. Just because something has been clarified as being acceptable does not necessarily guarantee eligibility. I believe you are referring to Niantic Wayfarer Clarifications: October 2019 with below text? Just to clarify, the Wayspot description needs to adequately convey significance beyond being simply a generic business.

Are charity headquarters valid candidates? If they have cultural significance or have done something significant for the community, sure. Just make sure the Wayspot description mentions the significance to help other reviewers take the call.

All responses are high level. If you feel comfortable providing more detail to the specific business you are referring to, we can provide more meaningful responses.

• Zaltys-INGZaltys-ING Posts: 33 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

Regardless of validity, in my experience these are impossible to get approved.

Whenever I've tried to nominate places such as day activity centers / gathering places for people with disabilities, they get rejected. Usually as 'generic business' (even though these are run by government and non-profit), often also marked as 'abuse'.

• oxBluemoon-PGOoxBluemoon-PGO Posts: 40 ✭✭

Wouldn't it be more discriminatory for people with disabilities to abuse facilities for living in society? Some play games in a wheelchair, others have other disabilities. These people are doing vocational training, so I think it is important for the community to have facilities to get used to it.