Uncommon photo dimensions / aspect ratio

Does Wayfarer have rules on photo dimensions or aspect ratio? I wasn't sure how to approach the cropping of the submission below. Is this a photo quality issue, or is this kind of cropping acceptable?

Comments

• SookieIlych-PGOSookieIlych-PGO Posts: 50 ✭✭✭

I don’t believe cropping is an issue unless it makes it unclear what the focus is, but that one is a reject anyway unless the nomination includes strong evidence this mall karate stand is super valuable to the community

• Maxyme99-PGOMaxyme99-PGO Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭✭

The photo is fine here, some phones have some weird photos ratio and they might be longer that normal. In this case soemeone wanted to show this logo nicely, so he did photo horizontally, nothing wrong with that :) It definetly would be better with diferent ratios, but as it's show nomination nicely, there shouldn't be real issue with thi photo in my opinion.

I can't say anything about nomination, but as photo, this one is good, it shouldn't be rejected for photo quality or orientation, as it's definetly centerd on nomination and shows it nice. Ratio isn't the best, but it's not that bad in this case.

• Elijustrying-INGElijustrying-ING Posts: 5,486 Ambassador

@SookieIlych-PGO

I’m curious as to why you wouldn’t consider martial arts unless “super valuable”.

I consider these as any other sport, as a place for exercise and normally a social element too.

So my concerns would be checking out it is where it says and that it is still active.

If that’s ok then straight accept.

• Jtronmoore-PGOJtronmoore-PGO Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

for photo’s unless the object is literally on its side, or upside down the photo will be fine. This one looks perfectly fine orientation wise.

I also agree that a martial art’s centre on appearance would meet exercise and socializing criteria.

• X0bai-PGOX0bai-PGO Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, it’s not going to make a great photo disc, but I believe there is no restriction on dimensions. It’s in focus, correctly oriented, properly lit… that kind of thing, so the image should not be a rejection reason.

As for the validity of the submission, exercise locations should generally meet criteria as long as they’re not chains, but in my experience most reviewers don’t approve run-of-the-mill gyms, dance studios, yoga studios, martial arts dojos, and so on without a really good reason to do so. They still see “generic business” and vote accordingly.

• MargariteDVille-INGMargariteDVille-ING Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

The picture's fine. Each game will crop it differently. This nominator will probably not be satisfied with the crop, and will submit another picture.

Once someone posted here, their normal portrait-oriented picture: as they nominated it, as shown in PoGo, and as shown in Ingress. I wish they'd shown it in Harry Potter WU too.

For the best pictures in Ingress, you need to take portrait, knowing the top third will be chopped off. So make the top third sky or bricks or something.

PokemonGo chops off the top, but not a third. Maybe a quarter.

Landscape tends to make the best supporting picture, because it shows more of what's around it at ground level (for reviewers to find on the map, and for gamers to access on foot).

• oscarc1-INGoscarc1-ING Posts: 366 ✭✭✭✭✭

The cropping is indeed super weird. In most games, it'll end up looking something like the below, which is a terrible way to portray the Wayspot:

The only time it may be seen properly would be when either looking at the portal as a key in Ingress or when viewing the full photo in-game.

To whoever submitted that, it would have been better as a normal uncropped photo. Though I guess it was cropped as there might have been people in the photo or something below the logo may make people reject the nomination? Don't know. It's weird either way.

I’ve trained in several martial arts and MMA for years and in my experience your typical **** mall martial arts studio doesn’t do anything I’d even remotely call exercise, and a class setting is hardly a place for socialization.

It’s nothing to do with it being a generic business, it’s just my experience that most martial arts places like this aren’t actually good places to exercise or be social. So I’d want some evidence that the place actually teaches classes that would qualify as exercise or offers social martial arts related events as a class or training session is very much not social.

A reviewer who hasn’t been inside a billion of these places might not feel the same way as me but that’s how I’d evaluate it.

• Elijustrying-INGElijustrying-ING Posts: 5,486 Ambassador

I haven’t done martial arts but my kids have - so am familiar.

It must be a cultural thing as here in U.K. they are very much about physical exercise ( it requires too much suppleness for me) and there are often social aspects. The grading system encourages pushing yourself to new levels of fitness.

Yeah in America a good 70% of martial arts places are just scams to take the money from parents who need somewhere to dump their kids after school.