Question about hiking trails

I recently received a rejection of a hiking trail for the following reason:

"Derzeit können wir dir keine Begründung nennen, aufgrund derer wir überprüfte Vorschläge abgelehnt haben." (English: "At this time, we cannot give you a reason why we rejected reviewed proposals." )

what is, referring to comments from the D/A/CH Wayfarer Community (Germany, Austria, Switzerland) the "translation" of the English "." (realy!) reason for rejections of submissions evaluated by Niantic.

Within the community, I received largely incomprehension for this rejection of a hiking trail. The exact content of the submission follows below. That's why I ask here whether someone from the forum community has an idea (I don't expect a Niantic answer).

One could argue that the Wayspot photo itself is a bit pixelated (the signpost is a bit high and I had to zoom in to get the picture) but I'm not assuming that would be enough to justify a rejection.

The additional text (both in German and English) contains a link to the StreetView as well as to the official description of the hiking trail on the city's website, including the hiking map.

Even if the site itself is not available in English, I would have expected that the map (and possibly a translation tool of choice) would be sufficient.

Yes, the name contains "5-Sterne" ("5-stars"), but that's part of the name of the trail, which can hardly be rated as "influencing". After all, the criteria say:

"Help > Title Guidelines

Do submit titles that are:

• Official titles, if known

[...] "

That's what I did...

And of course you can argue about whether reviewers would like to be instructed about the criteria in the additional text, but my experience shows that without this notice, hiking trails (in my area) practically do not go through.

So I'm a little lost about the requirements a hiking trail must meet in order to be approved if even Niantic rejects named hiking trail submissions with proof of existence, StreetView, etc.

To enable qualified feedback, here is the submission:

Title:

Startpunkt "5-Sterne-Rundweg" (eng: Starting point "5-star circular route)

Description:

Am Parkplatz des "Neuen Friedhofs" ist der Ausgangspunkt des 5 Sterne Rundweges Bruchköbel, der durch alle fünf Ortsteile führt. Der Weg wurde 2016 erstellt und 2018 überarbeitet, so dass er seitdem auch für Fahrräder überall gut befahrbar ist. (eng: The starting point of the 5-star Bruchköbel circular trail, which leads through all five districts, is at the parking lot of the "New Cemetery". The path was created in 2016 and revised in 2018, so that it has also been easily accessible for bicycles since then.)

Supplemental Information:

[English version below] Vergleiche auch StreetView: https://goo.gl/maps/9MwtFpdkQgGLPett9 ; Beschreibung des Weges auf der Webseite der Stadt Bruchköbel: https://www.bruchkoebel.de/tourismus-sport-freizeit/5-sterne-rundweg Wanderwege sind durch die Kriterien gedeckt: "Ein Ort, der zur Bewegung einlädt" -> "Wanderwege" // Compare also StreetView: https://goo.gl/maps/9MwtFpdkQgGLPett9; Description of the route on the website of the city of Bruchköbel: https://www.bruchkoebel.de/tourismus-sport-freizeit/5-sterne-rundweg Hiking trails are covered by the criteria: "A great place for exercise" -> "Hiking trails"

(Nothing to translate here, the English translation was already in the submission)

Wayspot photo:

Surrounding photo:

Comments

• RobWaudby-INGRobWaudby-ING Posts: 185 ✭✭✭

The community is all over the place when it comes to route/trails/markers/signs at the moment see this thread for how crazy this topic is https://community.wayfarer.nianticlabs.com/discussion/22553/uk-we-have-these-cycle-and-walking-routes-all-around-the-country/p1

These signs are very similar to the National Cycling network in the uk as in they make up a very large route.

I would give your submission 5* all the way it promotes exploration & exercise. It gets people outside with friends doing exactly what Niantic wants.

Title i would maybe change it a little don't use 5 stars. Maybe something like Bruchköbel City trail - New Cemetery marker.

This would then be you starting marker and you could then walk the route submitting the other signs using a similar title - Bruchköbel City trail - "................"

• Rodensteiner-PGORodensteiner-PGO Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bitte alle solche Wegmarkierungen einreichen. Nur durch einreichen lernen es alle, das es geeignete Wayspots sind.

Ein Foto an einem hellen Tag ist aber auch schon etwas attraktiver.

• HoHoHowdy-INGHoHoHowdy-ING Posts: 137 ✭✭✭

I will of course resubmit it - as well as the other signposts on this 30km+ trail.

But the point about the better weather is of course correct. I have already taken new photos (thanks to the weather!). Thank you!

What really irritated me is that the rejection did not come from the community, but from Niantic itself (see the reasoning in the mail, it's not the usual nonsense about natural feature, inappropriate location, school etc...).

@RobWaudby-ING

Actually, I want to call the Wayspot exactly what the trail is called now. But if I still more often have no success with the signs of this loop trail, I will come back to your tip about the name and rename the Wayspot correctly after it is accepted. Thank you!