Neighborhood Name Signs [Answered]

spk1121-PGOspk1121-PGO Posts: 6
edited September 2021 in Nomination Improvement

UPDATE: I did not realize what Niantic's general stance on neighborhood "place name" signs is when I posted this; now I do. Thank you to those who responded and clarified the issue for me!

ORIGINAL TITLE: Upgraded submission rejected

=====

I recently used an Upgrade on a submission I thought would easily pass. I was very surprised to see it had been rejected, then I was even more bewildered when "Nomination does not meet acceptance criteria, Photo is low quality (e.g., pitch black/blurry photos or photos taken from a car)" was the reason given!

Title: Kirkwood Park

Description: At the Springfield Ave entrance to the neighborhood

Supplemental Info: Accessible from sidewalk with lots of families around. Though at the edge of the neighborhood, perhaps it will draw people in the area, with this common interest, together?

I'm wondering if someone new to Wayfarer thought the supplemental photo (KirkwoodPark02) was part of the actual submission and rejected it on that basis. (Technically, I was walking and you can see my shadow, but I can see how the latter looks like it was taken from a vehicle.) As far as I know, neighborhood "place name signs" are perfectly valid and I've approved any number of them myself. I'm writing for two reasons:

1.) Am I missing something? I don't want to resubmit and have it rejected again. What, if anything, would make this a better submission?

2.) Is there any way to get a "refund" on the Upgrade or am I out of luck?

Thank you in advance for your time and attention!

Post edited by spk1121-PGO on
Tagged:

Comments

• flatmatt-PGOflatmatt-PGO Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021

If this is a sign for a residential neighborhood, then it doesn't meet any of the acceptance criteria. Likely the person who marked "bad photo" just didn't like the angle you chose, but the other rejection reason ("does not meet acceptance criteria") is the correct rejection reason.

I suggest you review the eligibility & acceptance criteria on the Wayfarer website (https://wayfarer.nianticlabs.com/new/criteria/eligibility), especially if you're approving other similar nominations while reviewing.

• flatmatt-PGO: Thank you for your reply. I respectfully disagree because I believe this falls under the category of "A great place for exercise: A place you'd go to get some fresh air, stretch your legs, or exercise. Places that encourage walking, exercising, and enjoying public spaces." A LOT of people in the area walk and bike by this sign every day, often on their way to school and/or work. Moreover, it can serve as a goal for people to "stretch their legs" by walking through the neighborhood. Just because it is not a gym or designated park does not negate the possibility of encouraging exercise.

• flatmatt-PGOflatmatt-PGO Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the sign weren't there, people would still do the exact same activities in the exact same places. Being close to people who happen to be exercising is not the same thing as encouraging exercise.

• @flatmatt-PGO : As I said, it could serve as motivation for people *in addition to* those who would already be routinely passing it. Why can't we encourage people to get more physical activity within their own neighborhoods? Since the neighborhood signs are always at the edges, most people will need to make an effort to get to them. I find it silly that we'll approve a piece of wood with little more than a number on it as a proper trail marker, but a big sign literally naming the community, which can be a visually significant structure like this one, is not seen as valid. I submitted a "monolith-type" entrance sign for a college campus and it was approved, but this smaller monolith-type entrance marker to a neighborhood isn't? Seems very inconsistent to me. I'm not blaming you for this; it's just frustrating.

When it comes to the "gray areas," I tend to ask myself, "Would approving this submission make the game more fun for more people in the area?" If it isn't clearly ruled out by Niantic's criteria, I tend to lean in favor of approval because I think that should be the ultimate goal. Anyway, thank you again for taking the time to reply. Whether I agree or disagree with the reasoning, it's good to know why it might not be accepted.

• Melurra-PGOMelurra-PGO Posts: 421 ✭✭✭✭✭

Although a wayspot may encourage players of a Niantic game to walk to it, the sign in your nomination doesn't *inherently* have that trait. In other words, for the average community member not playing the game, it doesn't encourage exercise, the way a tennis court or hiking trail does. Therefore, wayfarer reviewers generally consider these development/neighborhood signs ineligible.

• AgentX1976-INGAgentX1976-ING Posts: 598 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neighborhood signs typically need to have some artistic components to be eligible. Or something just more than the neighborhood name. Also many are typically right next to a fence with somones backyard on the other side.

I think a lot of reviewers would mark it as "does not meet criteria" or even "private residential property" I've approved those neighborhood signs that have fountains, artwork, or some large structural components that make it more unique then a name on a sign or rock.

• @Melurra-PGO : OK, that makes sense. Thank you for your feedback.

@AgentX1976-ING : Thanks for your input; "I've approved those neighborhood signs that have fountains, artwork, or some large structural components that make it more unique then a name on a sign or rock" was especially helpful. It's good to know what others are looking for and what's earned approval in the past.

I'm still fairly new to Wayfarer, so I appreciate the clarifications! :)

• X0bai-PGOX0bai-PGO Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neighborhood signs aren’t eligible unless they can provide particular historical value. This does not. It’s also not visually unique, and actually it appears to be on residential property as well. This isn’t a place to exercise or socialize. The existence of a sign is not enough to justify approval.

The photo rejection reason could be for the angle or the shadow over the first few letters. IMO, the photo is not great, but would have been good enough if the subject had been a worthy one.

• TheFarix-PGOTheFarix-PGO Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

Niantic has stated numerous times now that neighborhood, city, town, or other residential signs are not eligible unless the sign is historically or culturally significant. They simply do not meet any of the eligibility criteria. Just because other signs have been (incorrectly) accepted doesn't mean this should be accepted. It is why we repeatedly tell people to don't use existing Wayspots as a guide to what is eligible.

• @TheFarix-PGO : As I said in my last response, I'm still fairly new to Wayfarer -- only around a few weeks and somewhat sporadically. I, and I'm sure many others, mainly look at Niantic's guidelines when you first log in. It's easy to say "don't use existing Wayspots as a guide to what is eligible" when you've been around for a while & read things as they come up. Most of us aren't going to slog through a backlog of posts, some of them contradictory! I saw a Sept AMA idea suggesting Niantic add a FAQ page to the Criteria section & I think that's a great idea. It could be invaluable in matters like this. If this is such a consistent issue, you'd think it would behoove Niantic to take steps to clear up such misconceptions up front!