The Only POI In The Area?

I'm kind of confused as to why the below nomination was rejected.

Other than only just now seeing a typo in the description ("receied"), I'm not sure why this has been rejected.

I guess the description is just unacceptable entirely?

It's listed as a POI in the park:

The old, rusted car has been starred on the map.

And according to the map's legend, this is a "Point of Interest".

You can view the whole map here: http://www.shelbyal.com/DocumentCenter/View/2821/Cahaba-River-Park-Trail-Map-PDF?bidId=

In fact, it's the only thing that has been deemed a point of interest on the map of the park.

But the map isn't any help with making a description for the nomination. All it says is "Car", no name that may have been given to it by locals or whatever.

I didn't just want to nominate it with the title "Car" since that seems rather dull. A lot of the trails in the park have their names because of some feature that their respective trails host. For Turtleback Ridge trail, there's a giant rock formation that looks like a turtle and it's on top of the ridge in that part of the park. For High Voltage trail, it runs under the electric lines at the north east end of the park. Northern Pines trial is mainly made up of pine trees being on that trail. There's an obvious pattern going on here.

So, when you have a trail called "Rust Bucket" and there's a old rust bucket of a car along that trail. What else am I supposed to do?

I even put the link to the map in the supplemental information section in hopes that people would understand what is going on here. But I guess people can't be bothered to put in a little extra effort? I mean, who actually takes the time to read the supplemental information? Especially when reviewing on your phone, Niantic has it programmed to just sweep past that stuff and go to the culturally/historically relevant rating and etc. You have to swipe back up to actually read it. On a desktop, it's a little bit better since it's actually in view when you go to review things.

This isn't just some random rusted out car in the middle over nowhere... per say. You may decided that it is in the middle of nowhere because you aren't going to a park like this since it's away from any town/city. But the people who put the map together decided that it was a point of interest, at least.

Now, if that isn't good enough to actually be regarded as a point of interest to people reviewing the nomination, that's an entirely different game/story, I suppose.

Comments

• Jtronmoore-PGOJtronmoore-PGO Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

It really doesnt meet criteria what so ever. Its a pile of garbage left in the woods.

The description rejection probably came from you describing the trail more than the actual object your nominating. You got does not meet criteria because you havent explained how this rusted car meets any criteria.

If you want to dig deeper and find out a back story or something cool and interesting about why its placed there then you may have a worthy poi. But at this point you essentially wrote “ya its a rusted car that the trail got its name from” is really not a strong backing for your nomination

• sogNinjaman-INGsogNinjaman-ING Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

A pile of sticks - not eligible.

• CipherBlakk-PGOCipherBlakk-PGO Posts: 309 ✭✭✭✭

I had to look twice to see that it was, in fact, not an ugly pile of wood. 😂

The photo could use some work to make it look interesting and also like a car. Also, my first thought was "junk isn't a POI," but I do get the argument that, for a hiking trail, it does actually make a good real world POI. You might try framing it as a point on which to pin the hiking trail itself. "The Ol Rust Bucket of Rust Bucket Trail," and then say something about this being the feature the trail was named after. Any kind of historical info would be great, if it exists, or how long it's been there.

I think it will depend on your reviewing pool and how well you can frame it. People somehow don't even like trail markers on trails, and they still don't like actual objects you could pin the trail to either. 😂

• X0bai-PGOX0bai-PGO Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s literally garbage.

• Xaerfaal-PGOXaerfaal-PGO Posts: 86 ✭✭✭

If people reject actual trail markers on actual trails in actual parks... then what are they playing Ingress/Go for?

I thought the point was to nominate things so that people would get off their rear-ends and get out of the house and try to get some physical exercise instead of slobbering on Taco Bell and Monster drinks while playing Call of Duty or whatever the latest fps is.

Saying "it's literally garbage" doesn't actually meet the criteria of what this particular forum is for. But I guess the point is that you can't have any nomination improvement on garbage, huh.

• Theisman-INGTheisman-ING Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭✭✭

Contrary to most peoples views on this thread, I like this as a POI and believe its a valid submission, however as seems to be the case with a few submissions recently its been ham strung by a less than stellar nomination.

The name of the trail does indeed come from that specific car, I confirmed this with less than 1 minutes research on it

However your description puts doubt into peoples mind by saying it may do and just going on first impressions may cause it to be rejected.

Your title while good enough for me could be changed to something like, The Rust Bucket of Rust Bucket Trail.

The description needs a complete overhaul, be confident and joyful with it i.e. "The Rust Bucket Trail is a 2.15mile walk through Cahaba River Park. The trail itself is named over this long since abandoned rusting car and is the highlight of the trail."

In the support statement confirm that its a real trail and that the car is what its named after, a map is good but offical websites like the ones i took pictures of above are better and hammer it home that its offical and real.

• DeDuckIsDees-INGDeDuckIsDees-ING Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2021

I also like this nomination. It is to me an interesting thing to see along the trail. I think you just might need to improve the angle of the picture to make it clearer what it is (perhaps make it so that the steering wheel is more prominent and that the trees in the background don’t grab as much attention). And implement the suggestions by @Theisman-ING

good luck!

• HankWolfman-PGOHankWolfman-PGO Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with what @Theisman-ING says. This does have merit, but you have to remember that outside of this specific context, a car wreckage would not normally meet criteria, so you need to give the reviewer all of the relevant details so that they can see for themselves that this is actually part of a trail and listed as a point of interest on an official website for the area. Using "most likely" makes it sound like you're making things up, even though you actually aren't. Hopefully with the advice you've been given here, you can get this accepted, though do be prepared for those lazy reviewers who won't check what you've put in your supporting info.

Thank you, @Theisman-ING, for your thoughtful input. Yes, I more or less shot myself in the foot with not trying to find more information because I didn't even know if there was more information. The map just says "Car"; so that kind of threw me off. I might want to change the title but saying something like "Rust Bucket of Rust Bucket" seems a little redundant to me, personally. Maybe "Ol' Rust Bucket of Cahaba River Park" might be what I go for in my next attempt... and it's of Cahaba River Park since it's the only noted point of interest in the whole park. I will, at least, try one more time to submit it now that I know there is more information to be had and hopefully it will be sufficient for those reviewing. But again, I've already been rejected twice, people might just reject again for the third time just out of not wanting to see it again; so I may have screwed myself over that way.

I knew my description was weak from the start, I just didn't know that nominations can be rejected solely on that. Had I known, I would have put more effort into it. Hindsight is 20/20, I suppose.

Funnily enough, that's what I was trying to do. The screen shot in my original post above doesn't have the whole thing included, the bottom is cut off. So, but rest assured, the car is more or less centered in the whole picture.

But yeah, I already tried a few shots from different angles and the above photo was the best out of all of them. And from the photo that @Theisman-ING found in the link, my shot doesn't have all the leaves and branches piled on it. So someone has been taking care of it, even if it was just one time.

You make a good point, though. I may want to go back and retake the shot before autumn sets in. Yet a fall photo may prove useful to your point of the reviewer not getting distracted by the trees. Something to think about.

Even though I've done a lot of reviewing this year and have had a bunch of things accepted, I still feel a little naïve and this submission has fleshed that out to an extent.

I thought that my chances were better this second time because I linked the map in the supplemental information section so that people would see for themselves that it has been determined to be an actual point of interest in the park. Maybe it was a little naivety on my part to think or expect that people would even look. I don't know. I know that reviewing from one's phone, Niantic has programmed it to just skip over the supplemental information and go to rating section; so you have to scroll back up if you want to even look at what the submitter has provided as support for their nomination (which I do frequently).