Can we Please get a "don't upgrade" button?

For the 2nd time in a row, I've had one of my nominations randomly selected to be upgraded which I under no circumstances wanted to have upgraded.

Agreements seem to be flowing faster than normal and I've been unprepared when an upgrade becomes available, and when I haven't been checking the wayfarer dashboard as frequently.

Of course I realize I can select something before I get an upgrade, but I'm always afraid I'll select something that will have a result before I earn an upgrade and then I'll be stuck having wasted an upgrade, so I do tend to wait until last minute, but I didn't realize I'd be getting that last 40% before I signed in next.

Sorry, but some nominations are better reviewed by people who are closer to the area and know what's significant than someone in a completely different area of the country. Plus, there's a plague of people looking for "easy agreements" by spamming the reject button.

I know my nominations are solid, but people nearer to the area will know the situation better than someone further away. I feel like these automatically-applied upgrades couldn't have chosen worse. If I had a "do not upgrade this nomination" button, I would have used it on several of my nominations. I have one nomination which was especially difficult to get to just to create the nomination, now I almost want to completely stop reviewing in order to not have this nomination be upgraded accidentally.

Please Niantic, don't let your biggest incentive in wayfarer become a reason to NOT review.

Tagged:

Comments

• patsufredo-PGOpatsufredo-PGO Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wait until Niantic internal review team will suddenly review your nomination and pulled it from your list.

Then you'll come with two possibilities:

(1) rejected but the email only said a single dot "." in the rejection reason;

(2) accepted but it will appear in only ONE game, and you should trigger it to appear in other games manually by liking its photo.

• JMcQueen81-PGOJMcQueen81-PGO Posts: 13 ✭✭

They have done that one one of mine. Alas, I am a long drive from where it is, and since I nominated it in Pokemon Go, I can't remotely vote on it (but that's a good tip, I didn't know about that).

But like I said, I think my nominations are pretty solid. I'm pretty sure had this been reviewed by someone at Niantic, it would likely have been accepted. Sadly, reviewers of my upgrade thought not.

• PkmnTrainerJ-INGPkmnTrainerJ-ING Posts: 5,061 Ambassador

I’ve now seen that “.” comes through as “Niantic Review” instead so at least you know now, even if you’re not up to date on the forums.

• 1253mi-PGO1253mi-PGO Posts: 49 ✭✭

This is something I'd like to see. Having someone living in a huge city with overwhelming, pretty, shiny, ever cool, eye-catching wayspots reviewing rural nominations isn't a good match.

• Gendgi-PGOGendgi-PGO Posts: 3,504 Ambassador

That being said, I can see a clear reason for NOT having a "don't upgrade" button: such a button would likely be heavily used by those working with a local voting cabal to approve certain candidates based on phrasing, location, or some other nebulous factor.

This already happens in high volume. Just get enough players accounts to review and accept everything, create reviewing scripts, and/or use "upgrade defectors" where they upgrade candidates they know will be rejected quickly so they can keep their abuse local. All three of these have been documented in this Wayforum.

It's already happening. I'd much rather prefer a system that aides the majority rather than holds them back for limited abuse.

@NianticTintino

"Don't upgrade it, upgrades are more likely to be rejected" is an all-too-common sentiment shared across multiple communities. This leads to "I am not reviewing right now because I don't want upgrades." What can Niantic do to help this encourage reviewing and discourage "unfair" rejections?

"Don't upgrade it, upgrades are more likely to be rejected"... Well this is interesting; upgrades only boost the chances that your nomination appears in someone’s review page. It doesn’t affect the rate at which your nomination gets resolved, or whether it is accepted or rejected. However, "I am not reviewing right now because I don't want upgrades." - this is more true, in that more reviews mean more accrual of Agreements, which leads to accrual of Upgrades, which then get randomly auto applied unless you mark your Upgrade Nexts. If the concern is that you don’t want to waste your upgrades by the auto application, please make sure you mark Upgrade Next. Also note that we are working on a feature improvement in the next few months where you can better control how your Upgrades are used. When it comes specifically to discouraging “unfair” rejections, I feel this will happen as we reimagine our onboarding process and program as a whole. 

I feel like this sentiment is something that has been complained about for a long time, and I'm glad you later reiterated better control over upgrades, but I also think you misunderstood that, at the very least anecdotally, many of your Explorers feel like their upgrades have a higher chance of rejection. Note that you said "upgrades only boost the chances that your nomination appears in someone’s review page" (despite this obviously not being true in this bug) you also pointed out in another answer about changing bonus review areas with "we have this in place to ensure folks aren’t reviewing in areas they are not familiar with." Upgrades force your nomination outside of your general review region. I live in the Midwest, USA. Upgrades mean reviewers in New York City and Los Angeles are more likely to be voting on my nominations in areas they are surely not aware of.

Upgrade management and looking into what the community overwhelmingly feels like is unfair upgrade rejections has been begged for since @NianticCasey-ING's days on the Ingress OPR forum. Please hear your community that there is an issue.

• JMcQueen81-PGOJMcQueen81-PGO Posts: 13 ✭✭

I also remember, after the last review challenge (from Russia?), I can't remember if it was on reddit or a discord, somebody had to make a post, to remind people that as they're reviewing, that they should take proper care to review appropriately even if you see reviews outside your local area, since these would be upgrades earned from the challenge (something along the lines of "you want yours to be reviewed appropriately by others too"). Suggesting that some people are reviewing differently for what's in their local area (which would more directly benefit the reviewer) and what they see from further away. The fact that this had to be spelled out by someone, says something about how upgrades are treated normally, that is to say, people view them differently than what's close to home.