Live in Wayfarer 3.1 is a new set of acceptance criteria! Please browse the information in this category with caution as it is in reference to the previous review guidelines. To learn more about the new criteria, see here: https://niantic.helpshift.com/a/wayfarer/

Bridges & shrines in Japan

Hi, I've recently come on board as a reviewer and I'd love clarification on a few things in my location.

I'm based in Japan, and I've seen a few types of nominations that I couldn't decide:

• Bridges and parks: in Japan, almost every bridge and park is named with a sign plate, no matter how small. It's very rare to see something without a name/sign whatsoever. Is there anything else I should consider before accepting all of them (provided the submission info is high-quality?)
  • Standing stones/shrines: there are also lots of roadside shrines/stone tablets here. Some are named with a signboard and sometimes a brief description on its historical significance. Similar question, is there anything else I should consider? Depending on the area, there could be a lot of them, especially near temples, often only 2-3 meter apart inside the temple compound.
  • There's also another type of shrine that's unnamed. They're usually very small, sometimes just a standing stone. They are usually maintained by residents of the area, sometimes offerings may be present. So they are culturally seen as a special site. Should I accept this nomination on the basis of cultural significance?

Thanks!

Answers

• NorthSeaPoet-INGNorthSeaPoet-ING Posts: 895 ✭✭✭✭✭

In regards to shrines, if they're culturally relevant or have that cultural significance to Japan, which I suspect they would, then I'd say vote to accept. If there's multiple ones in a small area, it would be best to assume they're part of a series.

The standing stone shrines sounds like they could be acceptable if they can be proven to be what they are and have a decent write up.

• hillhouse-PGOhillhouse-PGO Posts: 4 ✭✭

Thanks! I'll review the standing stones based on description given then.