Live in Wayfarer 3.1 is a new set of acceptance criteria! Please browse the information in this category with caution as it is in reference to the previous review guidelines. To learn more about the new criteria, see here: https://niantic.helpshift.com/a/wayfarer/

Mill Ruins

While I am unable to locate it in the current guides up in the forums, there was a point when ruins were considered valid criteria (5 stars), especially if they had some historic value and/or were part of a hiking trail or park. Recently I nominated a set of historic ruins (1700s-1800s, this site was one of the early areas of industry in our state), with mention of the significance behind these ruins. The nomination was rejected.

Did I just not take a clear enough photo, or has the criteria for ruins been changed? The rejection reason was "Natural feature". The candidate is located in what is now a nature preserve, but the stonework tailrace was supposed to be the focus of both the candidate and supporting photo.

Information on this site is located at: https://www.ehlt.org/hammond-mill-preserve

Best Answers

• Gendgi-PGOGendgi-PGO Posts: 3,504 Ambassador
    Answer ✓

As @tehstone-ING already said, the description is great. One thing I would recommend is explaining better in the supporting information why these are eligible.

You could almost copy & paste the candidate action guide post shared by tehstone (I'd leave out the word "ACCEPT"). I find that you sometimes have to explain to people the eligibility of something even spelled out as eligible in the published guides.

Falls under the criteria of tourist spots that showcase local flavor and culture and that make this area unique. These historic ruins, located along a safe and well maintained hiking trail, were once used as a gristmill. They are catalogued and maintained as historic ruins by the East Haddam Land Trust. Preservation efforts are detailed at ehlt.org

Good luck. They might not look like much, but these ruins look to have some interesting history.

Answers

• Faversham71-INGFaversham71-ING Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd consider them eligible, but if they are on a preservation list linking to that in supporting info might help the nomination.

• secretscribe-INGsecretscribe-ING Posts: 10 ✭✭

@tehstone-ING Thank you. One of the other ruins I nominated was also rejected today, but given that I did some more research and found out I got my sense of direction flipped on the diagram, I found out I misinterpreted the dam as the entirety of the upper Tailrace.

I’m sure I will be back in there to explore and do better work at documenting according to ehlt.org ‘s maps and articles. It’s a great small park with a little history, so a resubmit is not a chore.

• Gendgi-PGOGendgi-PGO Posts: 3,504 Ambassador
    Answer ✓

As @tehstone-ING already said, the description is great. One thing I would recommend is explaining better in the supporting information why these are eligible.

You could almost copy & paste the candidate action guide post shared by tehstone (I'd leave out the word "ACCEPT"). I find that you sometimes have to explain to people the eligibility of something even spelled out as eligible in the published guides.

Falls under the criteria of tourist spots that showcase local flavor and culture and that make this area unique. These historic ruins, located along a safe and well maintained hiking trail, were once used as a gristmill. They are catalogued and maintained as historic ruins by the East Haddam Land Trust. Preservation efforts are detailed at ehlt.org

Good luck. They might not look like much, but these ruins look to have some interesting history.

• Gazzas89-PGOGazzas89-PGO Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tehstone-ING what would constitue as a ruin? My girlfriend has been trying to get the fence of an old church through, it still has the crossed on the fence but there isnt any remains of the building

• grsmhiker-INGgrsmhiker-ING Posts: 173 ✭✭✭✭

To me, the word ruins implies that there's a building (or recognizable remains of a building) to focus on. Even then, it can be a challenge to get them approved unless the ruin has a recognizable purpose (such as a mill ruins still has a water wheel attached) or there is a sign nearby with info.

The mill wheel was removed ages ago, and is preserved at a working dam about 5-8 miles away. The remainder of the ruins feature the partial dam ruins, the dam control, upper tailrace, sluiceway, and lower tailrace at this level. Somewhere overhead is the upper tailrace, another set of millhouse ruins, and possibly ruins of a blacksmith shop (all from 1700-early 1800s AD, first industry in this area). There's a lot of exploring to do in there, however the lower ruins are much more accessible for hikers, and the sign with the map and history of this area was approved closer to the trailhead.

All that said, if someone were to nominate ruins that featured (for example but not limited to) a fireplace, stairwell, a tailrace, dam, or other permanent structure, I would not limit my approvals to strictly foundations. We even have old abandoned/decommissioned missile silos in the state, some of which have been turned into park sites. The word "ruins" does not need to be strictly one thing for me, as long as it's somehow tied to a feature of historic or cultural significance and is located along a trail.

• Dazzz123456-PGODazzz123456-PGO Posts: 301 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

Definitely would have stared that up if I had seen that. Only criticism I could really find is the photo. Maybe a better angle of what is still there it's a bit hard to see. But that's just me being overly critical I think. Definitely give it another go. If there is an information sign for it for it that would be better to submit either as the supporting photo or the main photo depending as to what you want on the cover.

Post edited by Dazzz123456-PGO on

There is an information sign (already approved) roughly 1km away with a map showing the location of each part of the ruins. The webpage for the preserve itself also includes a slideshow with captions noting each part of the ruins (which is how I picked up on me accidentally getting the north parts from the south parts flipped around). If the weather holds well for the weekend, I’ll go back in for another go with more defined photos.

Thankfully this spot is nice and remote, and out of the way of the overcrowded state park up the road....