Location Edit >10m

0X00FF00-ING0X00FF00-ING Posts: 769 ✭✭✭✭✭

Title of the Wayspot: International Boundary Reference Marker

City: Niagara Falls

Correct Location: (43.1295331, -79.0579374)

wayspot misplaced, correct location is pin on screenshot

this screenshot is of the wayspot in question

Tagged:

Comments

• Thanks for the appeal, @0X00FF00-ING! Based on the evidence provided, we’ve made necessary changes to the Portal's location.

• 0X00FF00-ING0X00FF00-ING Posts: 769 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am now confused. After the appeal, the wayspot had correctly moved to its real location. I verified that on the intel.ingress.com map.

I'd also submitted a new photo for the location, as the extreme-closeup did not really do this thing justice. That photo has been approved today, and when I went to look at it, I found that the wayspot had been moved BACK to its original (incorrect) location.

@basslord808-PGO @NianticGiffard @NianticAaron

Should I post this in the Wayfarer bugs? This is the order of operations:

1. I submitted a new photo for the wayspot (via Ingress)
    2. I requested a location move, as the correct location is at the white blob as seen in the above screenshot, and not at the stairs
    3. I submitted a new photo for the geomarker's wayspot
    4. The geomarker's wayspot was moved
    5. I submitted a new wayspot, which was near the geomarker's OLD location
    6. The submitted photo was approved -- which apparently INCORRECTLY moved the wayspot back to its original spot??
    7. I've now withdrawn the new nomination, because even IF it now gets approved by wayfarer, it will never appear in Ingress (or Pogo) due to proximity rules -- moving a wayspot away does NOT automatically bring any accepted-but-hidden wayspots back in from Lightship, but DOES still flag them all as "duplicate" wayspots
  • No need to worry. What you're experiencing is the sync issue, please give it some time and the changes will certainly reflect afterward.

@NianticGiffard Please define the length of this “timeframe” I ought to wait. I have already been forced to withdraw a nomination, because voting gets completed faster than any of these edits.

Note that I don’t believe this is the SAME “delay” you may be talking about, as the wayspot in question had already MOVED. The photo addition re-edited the wayspot’s location in the database, as its request had been made prior to the move. There aren’t any further requests in the queue that could possibly trigger a new move-update event.

• NianticGiffardNianticGiffard Posts: 9,164 admin
    edited November 2021

Yes, that's why I mentioned "sync issue" not delay because we've come across similar cases where the changes made by us were reverted automatically after some time. This issue is something we're looking into it at the moment.

Having said that, it should get rectified later (might possibly take a few days) and in case it doesn't happen even after that, please let me know.

@NianticGiffard so to perhaps help your engineers along...

The "new photo" request was made for a wayspot before it was moved. Wayspots are supposed to be uniquely identified by their gps locations. And any such edit requests (title, description, photos, location) are directly tied to that location. This may hark back to the Ingress-only days, when the gps location WAS the unique identifier for any portal in the system.

When those edits get published, then the wayspot is essentially "republished" back into the system. Including the associated gps location.

The wayspot's location was reverted because when the Niantic staff member updated the location directly into the wayfarer system, this was bypassing the rest of the edits in the system... and didn't also update the associated location still lingering in those pending requests.

Similarly, as even the Wayfarer-only edits/approvals are all voted on distinctly (ie. a photo edit isn't approved collectively with title/description edits isn't approved collectively with <10m location edits), any approval of the photo/title/description would again be rewriting any previously-approved location edit too.

So this would mean that when any location edit gets approved, whether by Niantic or by wayfarer reviewers, those changes MUST also be rolled back into any pending edit requests.

Alternatively, and possibly more simply, photo/title/description edit approvals should NOT have anything to do with locations. Assuming that gps is no longer the "unique identifier" of a wayspot, the gps information ought not even be recorded into the edit request in the first place. Nor should those approvals rewrite the gps tags.