Resubmitting from far away?

I had a submission that, to my mind, was a no-brainer.

Buuuuuut:

So, obviously if I was to resubmit I need to make it explicit that the cairn is a man-made object (I am tearing my hair out here, I thought that was obvious but clearly not). But I was on holiday when I nominated and I can't just drive three hours to get back into nomination range. Is there nothing I can do? Of all the nominations I've made this I really thought this was an obvious yes!

Comments

• HankWolfman-PGOHankWolfman-PGO Posts: 4,857 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cairns are a tricky kind of nomination to get accepted. Some of them are made carefully and in such a way that its obviously not a natural rock formation, and those are often quite beautiful. On the other side of things though, some of them look like a random pile of rocks (which is because they are a pile of rocks by design). They do have significance, but in the case of your nomination, I probably would've liked to have seen a bit more information about this cairn. How long has it been there? Is it there as an historic landmark/way marker, or is it there as a burial mound?

Not saying I personally would've rejected it for the lack of information, but any extra info can often help out when it comes to cairns.

As for resubmitting from a distance, you can only do that if you're within 10km (Pokémon Go)/25km (Ingress).

• frithie-PGOfrithie-PGO Posts: 16 ✭✭

Thanks. TBH I was assuming that this was like the signpost for a park or other natural feature - it's a manmade marker of a significant natural place that people would want to explore. I did try to find out whether it was thought to be prehistoric or not - but maybe I should have contented myself with the fact that apparently it was on the 1809 OS map of the area!

It's a shame you can't nominate from further away, but I guess it stops really random stuff coming from all over. Maybe they could just limit it to places you've logged in from in the past month or something? Ah well. I'll get over it!

• X0bai-PGOX0bai-PGO Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

Obviously, the image is striking and the view is incredible. This is clearly a place worth visiting; a great place to exercise, a great place to explore. I would love to go see this for myself. Also obviously, those stones did not climb on top of themselves of their own accord.

But - and maybe this is a bit of an overstatement on my part but I’m going for it - without overt signage, this will never get approved. It is, ultimately, a pile of rocks. Reviewers will look at the photo and hit that 1* without even pausing to admire the majesty in front of them.

I hope that’s not too bleak a response. But I deeply doubt that including historical references to this cairn will make any difference; I would not go to the trouble of resubmitting, even though it’s the kind of place I’m sure Niantic would like to have on their map, and it’s the kind of place that I myself would love to find a POI.